Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 10:09 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times

Advertisements

When it comes to middle to higher end brands that I like, I prefer dealing directly with that company. I use amazon a good bit for electronics and some random household items etc. But I really have no desire to deal with amazon when I could deal with the company directly. Some of them already offer free shipping (and free return shipping) as a standard already. So why would I want a middle man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 12:40 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
At least PVH is brave enough to have Amazon sell their premium Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger brands, alongside their Van Heusen, IZOD, Warner's, Olga, and Speedo brands (I don't think Amazon carries Arrow). While Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger are not true luxury brands, they are more premium than what is typically sold by Amazon.
"Brave Enough?" Its a business decision. None of those brands are what I would call premium or high end. And, I think that many businesses wouldn't sell their product on Amazon if they didn't have to.

The funny thing about Amazon, is that it isn't killing the brick and mortar store. The department store has been in decline for a long time.

And funnily enough, Sears, once the scion of the retail world, was originally...A mail order company with a 500+ page catalog. That's a model that isn't that far from Amazon, 100+ years later.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:16 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
"Brave Enough?" Its a business decision. None of those brands are what I would call premium or high end. And, I think that many businesses wouldn't sell their product on Amazon if they didn't have to.
I would consider those brands premium, but not true luxury brands like Gucci or Ralph Lauren Purple Label.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:42 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
I tend to buy things like supplements and office supplies on Amazon, from the company, directly, not third-party sellers. I would not trust the fashion on that site from a third-party seller, especially with all of the retail arbitragers in the market thinking that they will make millions. As to Prime, I bought it primarily for the access to streaming services that works remotely on my computers/tablets, since for the cost per year, free shipping is just a perk.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-25-2018, 06:55 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Quote:
While most of those brands are out of my price range, I am pretty sure Amazon has a lot of high-income customers who would like to order their favorite brand online, especially if it is a hard to find style that they can't find at the mall.
Most of those high end stores also have their own online presence. Selling on Amazon is superfluous.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:08 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

The funny thing about Amazon, is that it isn't killing the brick and mortar store. The department store has been in decline for a long time.

And funnily enough, Sears, once the scion of the retail world, was originally...A mail order company with a 500+ page catalog. That's a model that isn't that far from Amazon, 100+ years later.
+1. He doesn't want to hear it though...

Quote:
I would consider those brands premium, but not true luxury brands like Gucci or Ralph Lauren Purple Label.
Just because you consider them to be, doesn't make it so...

Me thinks you need new hobbies.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:02 PM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
While Amazon is said to be killing brick and mortar department stores, one portion where Amazon is weak is the premium and luxury fashion segment. While Amazon sells a few premium brands such as Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger, other premium and/or true luxury brands such as Ralph Lauren and Cartier are only sold by third party sellers on Amazon.

I know some of these higher end brands refuse to do business with Amazon due to the marketplace being flooded with counterfeit items. I wonder, how can Amazon attract more of these premium and/or luxury brands?

I think couterfeit is the issue. If you are a 3rd party seller of certain items you need to have invoices to prove how you aquired the items and approval from the manufacturer.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:41 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
High end brands do not want to be on Amazon because of the liberal return policy and Amazon's forced branding and high fees. If you were to sell expensive handbags, shoppers can easily swap it with a fake item and send it back as a remorse return.

It has nothing to do with amazon's lack of premium brands it has everything to do with how amazon pride itself with letting people try stuff and return at all.
A seller on Ebay had that happen to him... he got sent back a video card claiming it didn't work. It didn't work, but he took pictures and noted the serial number of the item. The item returned was not the one sent to him. In a surprising decision, Ebay sided with the seller, and the buyer got banned!

Old 06-26-2018, 01:51 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
While most of those brands are out of my price range, I am pretty sure Amazon has a lot of high-income customers who would like to order their favorite brand online, especially if it is a hard to find style that they can't find at the mall.
The thing is, you can almost ALWAYS find what you want at the mall. Besides, for a great many people, going to the mall is fun and sort of a social event. Heck, if I want a "premium/luxury" brand of anything I'd go to Nieman Marcus and they'll give me a couple of glasses of champaigne while shopping. Amazon cant do that.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:28 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1. He doesn't want to hear it though...

Just because you consider them to be, doesn't make it so...

Me thinks you need new hobbies.
I don't know why you wouldn't consider those brands premium. You have brands such as Hanes and Fruit of the Loom in the low-end or economy segment, brands such as U.S. Polo Assn and Club Room in the middle-low segment, brands such as IZOD and Chaps in the mid-range segment, and brands such as Nautica in the middle-high or semi-premium segment. Above that is the high-end or premium segment with brands such as Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, and Polo Ralph Lauren (aka Blue Label). On the top you have the ultra high or luxury segment with brands such as Gucci and Ralph Lauren Purple Label.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty