Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 04:59 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,525,481 times

Advertisements

I'm 40 and always carry a purse and have since high school.

I like a big wallet which means I carry a medium-size purse. I don't like the look of a huge purse, or the weight. I have a bunch of cute small bags that I can't carry again until I get around to buying a smaller wallet and the bother of switching stuff between wallets.

My purses were mostly gifts from my mother (some new, some her designer hand me downs) or $400 sticker price bags that I got on sale for under $200. My favorite bags that I purchased are two Cole Haans, love that buttery soft leather. I haven't actually purchased a purse in several years as these quality bags last a long time if well taken care of. (And Mama gave me a lot of bags. )

I probably switch purses every month or two.

Last edited by Debsi; 06-30-2018 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 06:13 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,014,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I'm 40 and always carry a purse and have since high school.

I like a big wallet which means I carry a medium-size purse. I don't like the look of a huge purse, or the weight. I have a bunch of cute small bags that I can't carry again until I get around to buying a smaller wallet and the bother of switching stuff between wallets.

I probably switch purses every month or two.
Same.

I think a lot of college aged girls got used to backpacks. And, more relaxed workplaces for many means the days of matching handbags & shoes are gone for most... when we wore suits to work, we were more cognizant of coordinating everything.

I have a collection of sizes:

* The smaller purses or clutches are good for attending threatre/ballet, where I'd probably be wearing a gown or cocktail dress & don't want a clunky purse. I don't care which material they are... some are leather, patent leather or metallic fabric to match strappy sandals.

* Crossbody bags are good when needing the hands free, like racing around shopping. Mine are leather.

* A tiny crossbody is useful for long walks... I can store my keys, phone & earphones, so I can stream music while exercising. Some are leather, a few are that washable vinyl good for outdoors activities.

* Mid-size handbags/satchels are my go-to... always liked the look & it's easy to take my large wallet in & out. Leather, mostly.

* Giant bags... never liked them. They look like luggage & I see lots of older women with bags the size of their torsos. Doesn't look comfy to carry & what on earth are they carrying in there?!
* Messenger bags worn like crossbodies are good for day trips... like if I'm going to the library or SBucks to use WiFi... I can fit my notebooks, laptop, etc in easily & don't need to carry anything else. Mine are leather.

* I have a vinyl backpack or 2 for travel or hiking.

* I have a few metal lunchboxes or fabric covered jewelry boxes I use as novelty purses... like going to outdoor lunch/dinner in the summer & I'm wearing a sundress & sandals.

Mine are all good quality, often leather, bought at 2nd hand stores for $20 or less. My best & fave bags were under $5. I like variety, so can't justify buying $$$ bags. Besides, if they're ever stolen, ruined or lost (which happened recently & I lost 3/4 of what I owned... I had a collection of 50-60), dollar signs don't fly out of my eyes.

Today, any style goes, so everyone can be happy.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:04 PM

236 posts, read 196,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I'm doing research for a project and am trying to find out if younger women in the age range of about 20 to 40 years old carry a handbag and if so, what kind (that is, type of material in the bag, size, price range, and whether it's a popular fashion label or not). Please note I'm not probing on this topic to annoy people but simply doing research for a project. It's kind of important that I find out what the trend in the younger generation is, as far as handbags.

I've been looking around and have noticed that younger women don't seem to carry handbags anymore, at least not in my area. I don't live in the boonies where people drive everywhere and could easily keep their stuff in the car. I live in a very large metropolitan area where people are out on the street all day, walking to restaurants, shopping and sightseeing.

I guess I thought every woman needs to carry at least a few items with her when she goes out and about such as cell phone, wallet, checkbook, Kleenex and makeup, maybe a bunch of coupons and a list. Maybe not. But given that women's clothing seldom contains pockets especially not sizeable pockets (none big enough to fit a wallet or cell phone), I'm a little curious why young women don't carry handbags. Where do they put their STUFF?

Women in their 40's and older seem to still carry them but the only types of bags they seem to carry tend to be those larger-sized faux leather totes made by the popular fashion labels.

In the past, I used to see women using leather cross-body bags, hobo bags, sophisticated clutches, tooled leather satchels, straw bags, quilted bags...in other words, a much wider variety of bags. Do younger women like any of these bags?

So, what's the trend out there? Do younger women carry bags and if so, what kind?
Best place to confirm handbag trends is youtube. You'll find many channels to enlighten you! Yes that demographic is "obsessed" (their favorite word these days...) with designer handbags.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:27 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,423,731 times
Good luck with your project!

Are you familiar with purseforum.com

There's a ton of information there that should help you with your research

Old 06-30-2018, 09:50 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,126,785 times
I see a lot of 20-40 somethings carrying the LV Neverfull. I see so many of those in the couple of different styles, the brown check and white check and LV logo.

I also see quite a few of the Saint Laurant envelopes and the Chanel quilted.

I wonder how all these people afford these bags. The cheapest one I mentioned is $1150.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:54 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,913,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I see a lot of 20-40 somethings carrying the LV Neverfull. I see so many of those in the couple of different styles, the brown check and white check and LV logo.

I also see quite a few of the Saint Laurant envelopes and the Chanel quilted.

I wonder how all these people afford these bags. The cheapest one I mentioned is $1150.
I’ve noticed that too. The wallets on chains are popular, mostly LV,Chanel, YSL, and Prada. And designer camera bags like the Gucci Disco. The younger people with disposable income are using these.

The younger people with more edgy style are getting Supreme bags.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:28 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,135,401 times
My daughter's fall in that age range. The eldest never really carried a purse until in her 30s., usually on the smaller side, leather. Doesn't have to be designer with her.. just something she likes. $50 - $100 range.
Other daughter started carrying one in late 20s. Smallish, leather. Doesn't have to be designer but I've gifted her with designer bags and she likes a decent one. $100-$150 range but she'll spend more if it's what she wants.

I'm outta your age range but still carry the same type since 15yo (only more costly now).. large, leather, hobo type. Usually designer, $300, $400 range. Teen granddaughters seem to be following suit. And shoplifting has nothing to do with it.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:38 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,682,387 times
What all goes into a womans purse? I thought, along with the necessary-wallet, cell phone, checkbook, Kleenex and makeup, maybe a bunch of coupons and a list. Also, the essential feminine hygiene products, pens and pencils, receipts, keys, change, electronics of some sort. That pile of "junk", for me anyways, determines how big and what style of purse I might use.

I carried much more when I had 3 kids in tow.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:48 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,913,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
What all goes into a womans purse? I thought, along with the necessary-wallet, cell phone, checkbook, Kleenex and makeup, maybe a bunch of coupons and a list. Also, the essential feminine hygiene products, pens and pencils, receipts, keys, change, electronics of some sort. That pile of "junk", for me anyways, determines how big and what style of purse I might use.

I carried much more when I had 3 kids in tow.
I loved carrying a purse from childhood. My bare minimum is cardholder/wallet, keys, lip product, hand lotion, eye drops, and phone.

I tend to use a bigger work purse. But these days mine is small since I use a laptop backpack too.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:53 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,682,387 times
I remember being little....somewhere I ended up with a shiny patent leather purse. Of course, not much to go in one when one is .....8(?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty