Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 12:57 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times

Advertisements

My ears were pierced by a doctor almost 50 years ago. I haven't worn earrings very often for the last 15 to 20 years but the holes were still there. About every three to eight months I would put earrings on again. for the last five years, usually I would have someone help me as they did not always go through very well. On one ear, for many years, I would need to put the earring through the back first as the front & back did not easily "line up" but then I could put on the earrings the regular way. About six months ago the person helping me really couldn't get the earrings through my ears.

What do I do? I went to one of those piercing places (the type that just sells pierced earrings) at the mall & they said that they could re-pierce my ears (starting at the same hole in the front) with those earrings that have a sharp point on the ends. They said that the old holes would "just close up". Well if they didn't close up for the last 15 to 20 years why would they close up now? What if after the six week healing process I put on my earrings and open up the old hole again? Or won't that happen?

Has anyone ever had your ears re-pierced?
What was your experience? Thank you.

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-17-2018 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 01:21 PM

438 posts, read 376,870 times
I've always hated earrings because my ears would always close so easily, but every once in a while my hubby forgets and gets a nice jewelry set with a pair so I tend to "re-pierce". But after doing it for a couple years I've found that it's getting harder to do and my ears heal up much faster.

My understanding is that every time your re-piercing your ears, your adding more scaring and making the hole more resilient to keeping a hole open for long periods for time. So every time you allow your ears to close up and heal, you're also making it harder to get a needle through and make the hole last as the area is used to closing up to avoid infections and such.

I'll probably will just avoid re-piercing and simply get a new location on my ear and keep simple studs in all the time to make it easier.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:07 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I would not go to a piercing place in the mall to have your ears re-pierced. Go to a doctor or a tattoo parlor (with good reviews) that does piercings.

They're going to know more about how piercings heal than the teenager at the mall.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Well, this is an interesting question. I Googled ear piercing plus my city’s name and came up with some tattoo parlors! Tattoo artists are licensed, I believe, and I think a quick call to one might tell you whether they can help you. At least, you could Google the way I did for your area. There might be a local cosmetologist who does piercing.

I’ve never had my ears heal from the initial piercing I got sooo many years ago. But I’ve worn earrings almost every day since then. Just typing this statement astonishes me. I am not a paragon of consistency, but there it is.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:20 PM

Thank you everyone for your comments. I am not really even sure that my ears actually need to be re-pierced. It is possible that the holes are just very small. I typically haven't put earrings in by myself for a couple of years because I'm older and between my vision and my manual dexterity it was just so much easier to have someone else put the earrings in (as well as the problem with the one ear needing to first go through the back to get the right place). Luckily, my adult daughter lived me for a while and could do that but she does not live in the area any more.

The last person who tried putting in my earrings, a few months ago, was pretty squeamish, and was worried that she would hurt me if she pushed too hard. Maybe the earrings would have gone in and maybe not.

A while ago, I bought a pair of 14 karet gold posts with the goal of leaving them in for a while to "keep the holes open". Someone put them in for me and the very first night I must of got one caught in my long hair, or the back was loose or something, and it came out and I lost one earring. Rats. So I don't want to try that again.

I live by myself and the closest friend that I know, who does not mind putting in my earrings, is 30 minutes away.

I just called a few places and decided to go to a tattoo parlor/piercing salon and have them look at my ears. I'll let everyone know what I decided to do.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:16 PM

I went to a nearby tattoo parlor/piercing salon and they were so nice! They only sell "surgical steel" or titanium earrings because they are considered "body implants" and the law requires them to be "surgical grade". Hmmm, so why do the mall piercing places push the gold earrings? Why are they allowed to sell "non-surgical grade" earrings if they do piercings?

The piercer was so meticulously clean and thorough about everything. She tried to get the earrings in and said that the actual holes were completely open except for the very, very back. And I should come back in few days (as my ears may have been slightly irritated because she was trying to poke the earrings through) and she would put a needle through the same hole and out the back. Since, the only new "cut" would be minuscule she said that it would heal quite fast.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:53 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I went to a nearby tattoo parlor/piercing salon and they were so nice! They only sell "surgical steel" or titanium earrings because they are considered "body implants" and the law requires them to be "surgical grade". Hmmm, so why do the mall piercing places push the gold earrings? Why are they allowed to sell "non-surgical grade" earrings if they do piercings?

The piercer was so meticulously clean and thorough about everything. She tried to get the earrings in and said that the actual holes were completely open except for the very, very back. And I should come back in few days (as my ears may have been slightly irritated because she was trying to poke the earrings through) and she would put a needle through the same hole and out the back. Since, the only new "cut" would be minuscule she said that it would heal quite fast.
This is good to know! I hadn't worn earrings for the past year. When I went to put earrings in, I couldn't get them through one year. I tried a number of times. I was wondering how re-piercing would work, since I already had a hole there. So this is good to know.

I was finally able to get the earring through, by pushing through the back. Thank goodness. I'm never going to go w/o earrings again!

Old 08-17-2018, 10:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

So happy this worked for you. I would think surgical steel would be fine for earrings, unless you were allergic.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:03 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Mine have been re-pierced but have grown back again, for the second time. I have such nice earrings I am thinking of getting them done a third time.

I think it's because I must be allergic to the metal. One ear swells up and hurts. Then I remove them and leave them out so that ear will heal. Then I forget to put them back. No way can I just wear them when I want to since they grow closed.

Thanks for the idea of the tattoo place and only wearing better metals. My sister says to dip the studs into Neosporin and then put them in so my ear will heal.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:31 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Has anyone ever had their ears unpierced?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty