Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 10:39 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,234,293 times

Advertisements

Jeans + Shirt yes.

Jeans + Polo no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 11:33 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
No, I would not consider jeans business casual.
Ditto

Old 12-20-2018, 01:20 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Do you consider jeans business casual if its worn with a nice polo shirt and dress shoes?
Back when I started with my current company at the turn of the century, the dress for men was suit and tie.

Then in the 2000s it became khakis and polos--business casual.

Today, its "dress for your day." For people down here in Dallas who are not "customer facing" and don't deal with executives, that has turned into shorts, unadorned tees, and athletic shoes.

Women are coming to work in pajamas and gym attire wearing flip-flops--when I started women had to wear skirts, closed-toe heels, and keep their shoulders and arms covered.

So I wear "nice" jeans over leather oxfords with a jacket and (always) a black polo or Hensley. A lot of people consider me overdressed, and my manager doesn't even put on a jacket unless he's meeting a VP.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Business casual here at an engineering firm I work at, and I wear jeans pretty much every day. The employer breaks down what is acceptable further in their dress code policy, but jeans are OK.

If we have customers coming in, I dress a little fancier obviously, but on Fridays I can be found in the lab in jeans and a tshirt doing my work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I work in tech on the west coast. If jeans were banned employees would strike. ������

Today I am wearing distressed skinny jeans, fancy sweatshirt* and pointy flats. I am pretty dressed up for my office - if I was working right now. :P

*fancy sweatshirt
I'm in the Rocky Mountain West. Engineering firm.

Depending on your position (upper management? Client facing? Etc), darker jeans that fit nicely, with a nice top and shoes is often acceptable everyday work attire. Upper management (large international company) men might wear a suit with dress shirt with top couple buttons undone to covey a more casual look - no tie. Middle management men might wear khakis or dress pants with a golf type shirt - maybe dress shirt if they have meetings.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:08 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,864,874 times
jeans are for outdoor work

Old 12-20-2018, 10:14 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I'm in the Rocky Mountain West. Engineering firm.

Depending on your position (upper management? Client facing? Etc), darker jeans that fit nicely, with a nice top and shoes is often acceptable everyday work attire. Upper management (large international company) men might wear a suit with dress shirt with top couple buttons undone to covey a more casual look - no tie. Middle management men might wear khakis or dress pants with a golf type shirt - maybe dress shirt if they have meetings.
Wow. I can't imagine. LOL. What a difference a couple of thousand miles make.

I attend NYC engineering industry events. I have never seen ANYONE show up in jeans. Ever. It just would not happen and would be seen as disrespectful.

The only exception might be a higher-level engineer whose normal day is in a construction field office. The RE or ARE might wear jeans and a shirt and keep a jacket in his or her office just in case, but if there were a meeting with upper management, they would at the very least put on dress pants or a skirt and jacket, if not a real suit.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:59 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I attend NYC engineering industry events. I have never seen ANYONE show up in jeans. Ever. It just would not happen and would be seen as disrespectful.

The only exception might be a higher-level engineer whose normal day is in a construction field office. The RE or ARE might wear jeans and a shirt and keep a jacket in his or her office just in case, but if there were a meeting with upper management, they would at the very least put on dress pants or a skirt and jacket, if not a real suit.
I think my phrasing may have come across incorrectly...

I meant to convey that unless one was upper management or client facing, nicer jeans or khakis is not unusually casual. Certainly one wouldn't wear jeans to an industry event, but sitting in a cubicle with no meetings they might. Ties are worn occasionally but not anywhere near like they were in the past. Even by the CEO, who favors the open-neck dress shirt look.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:34 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Do you consider jeans business casual if its worn with a nice polo shirt and dress shoes?
20 years ago; maybe.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:27 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Regional differences. The corporate location for my company is located in the NYC area even though my company is a manufacturing one--go figure. Our official dress code is listed as 'business casual' but everyone from the plant manager to the hourly employees come in wearing jeans on a daily basis. Sometimes people wear khaki slacks but that is their choice, it's nothing we enforce.

It's so funny because we have to send out an email notifying everyone when corporate is coming to visit so that they wear their dressy clothing, lol. The corporate team dresses like they are coming to a formal event or something--the men wear suits and ties and the women dress in the latest brand names. The corporate people are nice and I like them but I am always happy to be able to go back to my normal clothing when they leave

I was never so embarrassed as when I first started with the company and wore what I thought was a nice business casual outfit to corporate headquarters. I had on khaki pants and a plaid button down shirt with penny loafers and have never felt so dressed down in my life Didn't really bother me but I learned to dress up out there pretty quickly from that experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty