Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 12:24 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times

Advertisements

[quote=BATCAT;54506642]I've never understood the mentality that men are supposed to freak out over gray or graying hair, especially if it happens in their late 30s, 40s, or 50s. I just try to take good care of myself, dress well, and have an agreeable demeanor. I'm not pretending I'm not middle-aged, and I consider the gray in my hair/beard just to be part of who I am, and a sign that I've lived through a thing or two.

And for the record, I don't find graying hair on a woman's head unattractive, in most cases, either.[/QUOTE
]

We agree. I like my hair turning white and like gray hair on men...but do find gray beards aging...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Speaking as a guy over 40, I don't think think tees are that great a staple for most of us over 40 or 50. I mean yeah, I still own and wear them, but I'm gradually phasing them out. Or at least making them less of a regular thing for me.

It helps when they are well-fitting and a flattering solid color or good pattern. (like Breton stripe) I try to save the tees for occasions like doing housework/yardwork, or the occasional super-casual days. Otherwise, in warm weather I stick to linen or lightweight cotton button-up shirts.

A guy after my heart....linen shirts are so flattering.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:46 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, OP, the big question with this topic is: to color, or not to color? What should men do with their greying hair, if they want to look younger? I wonder what percentage of men out there secretly use those cover-your-grey products?
I often see an older gentleman at my grocery store who might literally rub black shoe polish on his thinning white hair. (I can't imagine that a legit hair product would look like that.) It does not make him look younger.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:52 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
[quote=greatblueheron;54506818]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I've never understood the mentality that men are supposed to freak out over gray or graying hair, especially if it happens in their late 30s, 40s, or 50s. I just try to take good care of myself, dress well, and have an agreeable demeanor. I'm not pretending I'm not middle-aged, and I consider the gray in my hair/beard just to be part of who I am, and a sign that I've lived through a thing or two.

And for the record, I don't find graying hair on a woman's head unattractive, in most cases, either.[/QUOTE
]

We agree. I like my hair turning white and like gray hair on men...but do find gray beards aging...
Most women pluck facial hair.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:02 PM

36 posts, read 74,418 times
What makes a man look much younger than his physical age is his high net worth. Just go to any high-end restaurant in any major metro area, and look around.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKDFW View Post
What makes a man look much younger than his physical age is his high net worth. Just go to any high-end restaurant in any major metro area, and look around.
No....why do you think that?

Old 02-22-2019, 02:10 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Certainly being in shape is great.

Is that all you wear, t shirts and jeans? Maybe time to add a few updated shirts, a few pairs of pants not denim....? Your SO might enjoy that! Looks a lot different than jeans but not dressy per se...I used to get so tired of my husband's jeans. Then we went to a funeral when he had on dress slacks and a long cashmere coat and oh my, what a nice surprise!

Gray hair to me is not as aging as a hairstyle. If you haven't changed your hairstyle in 20 years, maybe a short cut for a while, see what others comment about it.

You really want me to look old don't you? After wearing wool suits, custom made starched shirts, and silk ties for 40 years, I prefer basketball shorts and athletic training shirts now. Something like this:

Old 02-22-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
You really want me to look old don't you? After wearing wool suits, custom made starched shirts, and silk ties for 40 years, I prefer basketball shorts and athletic training shirts now. Something like this:

Nothing wrong with it!

Do you also wear SOMETHING ELSE..... for a change??

I'm really not picking on you....there'd be plenty about me for you to comment on.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with it!

Do you also wear SOMETHING ELSE..... for a change??

I'm really not picking on you....there'd be plenty about me for you to comment on.

Sure, I have other clothes but prefer the athletic clothes for working out, mowing the grass, going to the grocery store, lounging around the house, etc.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:44 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
A guy after my heart....linen shirts are so flattering.
I love Guayaberas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty