Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 07:21 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,593 times

Advertisements

The story:

After retiring in July 2018 I moved to FL in Nov. 2018. Once I stopped working I focused exclusively on packing and arranging my move so I stopped wearing makeup because I basically wasn't going out anywhere.

I had a woman help me pack the relo-cubes for the move and she inadvertently packed the box with all my makeup. Through a series of unfortunate events, I wound up moving TWICE and didn't get my belongings--furniture, clothing, the works-until mid-December. I was surprised that I survived just fine without makeup and the bulk of my wardrobe.

Since then, I've worn makeup maybe 3 times. Since I'm not working, I don't feel the need to impress anyone, but there are certain times I do want to look my best. My normal routine would have been to apply moisturizer, liquid foundation, powder, eyeliner, mascara and lipstick (I've experimented with contouring with mixed results) Thankfully, I have "Brook Shields" eyebrows so all they need are plucking. The thing is, if I do my full makeup here in FL it would melt off my face in 5 minutes.

It occurred to me that by now I should throw out all my makeup as it's all pretty old (except for the loose powder--CG Tru Blend Minerals--as it's no longer on the market and I really like it) I have always looked young for my age, but at age 68 I'm afraid that ship has left the pier.

So the question is: What would be the absolute minimum I could get away with? I currently use Oil of Olay Regenerist as a moisturize, though not consistently, and am uncertain of which Regenerist product I should be using. I'm thinking of just skipping liquid foundation altogether. I definitely need eyeliner and mascara as i wear glasses and my eyes "disappear" behind them.

Ok, ladies--I need some hot climate makeup tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 08:09 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
It gets super humid where I live, and I have oily skin. Woo!

I agree with forgoing foundation. I haven't worn that in years.

I use under-eye concealer and go over that with a tiny bit of translucent powder under the eyes to prevent creasing. I use the powder to even out my face too.

I also only wear eyeliner on the top lid to prevent smudging, and I wear powder eye shadow and blush, only matte finish. No frosted shadow or blush.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:57 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
In Hawaii I wear only tinted lipgloss and let my tan do the rest. Keeping my feet and toenails nice is more important though than in Oregon.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:09 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
OP, I found this website. Maybe it'll be helpful to you.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/8879...e-hottest-days

Old 04-16-2019, 08:31 AM

317 posts, read 224,437 times
I live in the south and don't go out without my foundation. I like the added protection against the sun and prefer the look of a blended skin tone. (I have a ruddy complexion without it) If you don't do foundation, be sure to wear sunscreen in FL! I also do liquid eyeliner because it doesn't smudge in the heat. Like BirdieBelle, no frosty eyeshadows or blushes here either. They look horrid on mature skin especially once you start to sweat in our southern summers.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:35 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,128,829 times
So.. I saw that link and was glad to see the Estee Lauder there because I was going to suggest it.
I'm in Alabama. I have a difficult time going without foundation. But that Estee Lauder Double Wear stays put pretty good. I find that sometimes I have to blend it with a little bit of something else (Usually Loreal oil free) because if my skin is at all dry it is a little too matte looking. I do not use powder on my face because it will enhance any lines (also in my 60s).
Waterproof Mascara is one of my standby's. I like the Neutrogena Healthy lash waterproof mascara.
I generally will skip actual eye liner but use a darker shadow at the lashlines with a liner brush because... my lids just ain't where they used to be, lol.... and liner is a little too harsh.
Anyway... that Estee lauder works pretty good in the heat and humidity.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:43 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
When I saw this topic, I thought "That's a good question."

I live in the midwest, and my routine works pretty well, plus, I work inside an air conditioned environment, so I don't have to worry TOO much or TOO often about my makeup running down my face.

That said,

A couple or 3 years ago, we were in Louisiana for a music festival in June, and it was rainy and humid. Did a selfie with my musician friend...and I looked HORRIBLE. lol So I was curious too, to see what holds up to heat and sweat.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:38 AM

410 posts, read 343,673 times
I live in an area that is humid and hot during the summer and I use a tinted moisturizer from Clarins called Sunscreen Multi-Protection Tint. It has an SPF of 50. It just provides light coverage, but it won't slide off your face when the humidity reaches 3000%! I am in my mid-50s, FWIW.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:39 PM

924 posts, read 1,677,842 times
I'm in South Florida, age 53, fair skin.

I use Elta MD UV Daily tinted broad spectrum SPF 40, followed with Bare Minerals Matte powder.

If I need it, I use Bare Minerals serum foundation as my under-eye concealer. Their actual concealer was too thick and sticky in the heat.

A spray of setting mist is helpful. I'm currently using Wet-n-Wild brand. I haven't noticed much difference between brands.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:41 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
When I lived in florida I just wore lip tint or lip gloss and let the tan on my face do the rest indeed . You might have skin problems if you are in florida and wearing foundation . so slip on your sandals and paint your toenails and your fingernails and you should be fine in florida .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty