Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 05:04 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That VOX image isn't granny panties. Those are just sort of a teeny bit wider than bikinis.

These are granny panties:

https://www.catherines.com/3-pack-co...QaAgQAEALw_wcB
Exactly - the first post is just high waisted or "French cut" panties. I don't consider them granny panties either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 05:40 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
I get a kick out of the term "high-waisted". They are for people with bellies, who don't want the elastic to hit right in the middle of the bulge. It's either that or bikinis so the elastic is under the bulge.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:02 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
That VOX image isn't granny panties. Those are just sort of a teeny bit wider than bikinis.

Yes, what was shown are "hipsters"...clearly not granny panties! Kind of popular in the 70's...just before the "french cut" with very high thigh cut.

Just as a general comment, "there is nothing new under the sun"...everything in fashion is a recycled version of what came before. If you're young and weren't around for the last cycle it may be a big deal but once you've been around for a couple you figure out what fashion really is!

Old 06-14-2019, 07:20 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
I'm a Granny and I've been wearing bikini underwear since I was a teenager. I'm very good shape for my age so I'm not going to change now.

Totally agreed that the panties in the original link are NOT Granny panties and the ones form Catherine's are closer to my definition.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:22 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post

Granny panties are made of silk.

More likely polyester.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:32 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
If you want to see granny panties, check out the Vermont Country Store catalog. I think they even have bloomers.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:40 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Good gawd. Talk about first world, I don't even know what to call such a trivial discussion. Thus it will probably be 20 pages long on CD. Who cares what these are called or if women choose them over G-strings? (And yes, I clicked and commented out of boredom and the desire to waste three minutes of my life.)

Old 06-14-2019, 07:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
IMO...
1) There is no "style" or "cut" of panty actually called granny panty. Unless that's just what someone decided to call larger sized briefs.
When "cuter" styles of briefs became stylish....and of course to increase sales of the new fashion panty styles, makers had to disparage the style that had always been just high waisted briefs.

2) Even when grannies are referred to -- the first photo is not it.
3) The second photo is what some manufacturers call high-cut briefs.

(Just like years ago when other styles, low-waist jeans, hipsters, etc, came into being, high-waisted "soccer mom" jeans had to be made fun of, so people would think they're ugly and not good anymore. And of course manufacturers count on people being into that for fashion, something that doesn't matter and is all smoke and mirrors anyway.)
Yeah there is. The industry doesn't call anything "granny panty" or they wouldn't sell. But it's a specific style.

Just like, "tighty whities" that refer to standard white briefs for men, and "high waters" that refer to pants that are too short.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:36 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:

Agreed, I think that people are conflating high waisted with granny panties. I agree with your link - they aren't just high waisted, the leg holes go all the way down to the top of the thighs on the sides, they have *lots* of fabric over the butt, and they are not skin tight (well, I suppose as long as someone doesn't buy too small of a size!)

This article even describes them accurately and explains how they aren't really the same thing, but then of course, still calls them granny panties because apparently that's the story du jour.

Quote:
While larger than your average thong, these ’50s-inspired undies aren’t exactly the booty-covering bonnets of the past: They’re widely available in hi-cut leg silhouettes, with sheer, lace and even cutout details — that add some sex appeal to your backside.
https://nypost.com/2019/06/13/granny...im-kardashian/

Old 06-14-2019, 10:37 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Newly fashionable, according to NPR.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/6...e-savagexfenty
I have those, but it a stretchy, pretty, comfortable material. They fit the bum, no constrictions from those ridiculous
thongs or others that are nearly absent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty