Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 04:04 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Well the big issue I have analog watches is that it's more of a time estimate rather than an EXACT time. In today's world, I need to know what time it is exactly. With an analog watch, you see the hand getting close to the 12pm mark, so you know it's getting close to 12pm. But a digital watch, will tell you it's exactly 11:57am.
My Apple Watch has a sweep second hand (no jumping) on the face that I chose, so time is deadly accurate. The only issue is you have to charge the darn thing every day. It has a multitude of functions though, and is perfectly synched with your iPhone.

It's tech gadget, but I love gadgets - you could tell time just about equally as well on a Timex with quartz movement, and the battery lasts almost forever. And when it dies, just buy a new watch - it's almost as cheap as having the battery replaced (some jewelry stores do it for free though).

Pulling your iPhone out of your pocket whenver you want to know the time is a total pain. First world issue though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 04:12 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
I've been wearing a Timex wrist watch for many years now. In fact, I've worn the Timex Men's T5K822 wristwatch for over 6 years now and the battery has never needed replacement and the wristband has never broke on me, surprisingly. I was surprised at the durability of this watch. However, I was thinking of getting a new watch especially since I've had my current watch for so long and it's getting old already.

What kind of watch do you think looks the best on men? Should I continue wearing a sports watch like the Timex one that I'm currently wearing, or is there a more stylish type of wrist watch that you can recommend for men?

I've mainly wore watches because I'm a freak when it comes to always knowing what time it is. And I'd prefer a digital watch because I also want to always know precisely what time it is. For some reason, analog watches drive me nuts because it displays the time on a hand dial and takes a few minutes to think and figure out the time. At least, that's the way it is for me. But hey, if you guys think it makes men look more stylish and sexy, then I'll consider it.

Appreciate if you can give me your input.
I wear a Citizen Eco-Drive steel watch I have had for over 10 years (I have two different models) and I love it since they will never need a battery as long as I wear them. I actually wear it when working out as I hate having my phone with me. I also have an Orient automatic that I need to replace the band on and I may get a strap.I also have a Fossil with a battery and a black steel one I got at a now-closed department store.

On a side note, I had a digital watch back in the day..a G-Shock and may get another one.

As for what looks best, it can vary and not set in stone..some can sport straps, different band colors, depending on what one wants.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:12 PM

46,947 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But far more often, I only need to know the relative time, that is, where am I within the day or within the hour. I can gather that information with an inconspicuous glance at the sight-picture of the analog face much faster than I can read the digits of a digital face.
There's a reason flight instruments - possibly the world's most researched man/machine interface - stuck with analogue dials, to the point of using very capable graphic displays to show a simulated analog interface: It works, and it can be read very, very fast. Even if you don't catch "11:57" vs "11:58", you get the important bit: Mere minutes away from 12:00.

I wear a fairly nice Seiko black faced chrono-something with stopwatch functions. I race on sailboats - and if you're trying to time the start on a race, or want the interval between you and a competing boat in crossing the finish line - really important if you're racing in a corrected time class - you want a stopwatch, and you sure as all out don't want to fumble around for a cellphone.

It still looks good enough for everyday wear. And it never goes beep in the middle of something important, and very rarely runs out of power.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 07-26-2021 at 06:11 PM..

Old 07-26-2021, 05:47 PM

9,979 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
What kind of wrist watch looks best on men?

One that runs, and keeps time to within a few seconds per month.

Your basic Timex ($30) is fine.

BTW, I have never paid any attention to any watch men wore. Life's too short. A watch neither improves nor diminishes a man's looks. They are completely irrelevant and unimportant. Unless you want to know what time it is, and that has nothing to do with looks.

Why anybody spends umpteen thousand on a Rolex is beyond me. All I can think is that he has far more money than sense, and/or he didn't work very hard to get his money.
Considering Rolexes hold their value insanely well, the former is inapplicable and the latter is unfounded speculation.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:36 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
In actuality, there is no 12 p.m. or 12 a.m. There are two infinitely small points in time called noon and midnight, with a.m. and p.m. on either side on those points in time.
Yeah, that's an interesting point re: analog vs digital..... the former usually illustrates time via 'movement' and visual 'relationships' between the hands and symbols around the dial. And there's a reason why an analog clock makes a good movie stand-in for the passage of time. While digital simply displays the 'numbers' and leaves all the meaning and 'processing' parts to us!

Old 07-26-2021, 08:25 PM

3,490 posts, read 1,408,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Why anybody spends umpteen thousand on a Rolex is beyond me. All I can think is that he has far more money than sense, and/or he didn't work very hard to get his money.

Well if it would impress women and make the attracted to me, then I think it would be a great investment. I'm tired of women just passing through me like I'm invisible. And this is why I'm in my late 30s and still single.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:33 PM

60 posts, read 29,243 times
I like the day/date type of analog watch, and I made myself accept a general time. I don’t need to know the time right to the second. And right now I have a few Casios that give me all of the exactness that I need, with digital displays.

I did look at NIST though, to see how time was synchronized using atomic clocks, and radio time signals.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:39 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Well if it would impress women and make the attracted to me, then I think it would be a great investment. I'm tired of women just passing through me like I'm invisible. And this is why I'm in my late 30s and still single.
I don't think women in your age group are attuned to Rolex by brand name. I think (this is based on vibes from my daughter, who is a woman in your age group), they first look at whether you're wearing the proper style for the proper occasion (which means not wearing something like Rolex Oyster with everything).

Old 07-26-2021, 09:46 PM

9,979 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
A Rolex won't impress the ladies unless you have the lifestyle to match. If you wear a Rolex but still drive a 2007 Honda Civic, rent an 800sqft apartment, and eat Hamburger Helper for dinner, you might as well wear a Citizen for all the ladies will care.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:48 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I'm pretty much bi-watch. I can use analog and digital equally easily.
Hmm. Kind of makes you wonders why others need to take minutes out of their days figure out the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty