Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 02:10 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times

Advertisements

I like sweaters, but don't get many opportunities to wear them. Also, I seldom see them on others when out. (I can think of non-weather reasons why I don't notice them in public. For example, it's not really work apparel.)

Here goes: what sweaters do you have? Materials, styles, weights, and so on. Not colors in this discussion, don't really care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2023, 02:16 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
This is an odd question for me, because I wear a sweater almost every day in the winter, especially to work. Cardigans, cowl necks, crew necks, v-necks. I've got them all.

Old 01-30-2023, 02:37 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Hmmm... I have many sweaters. Love them.
They are life savers when weather suddenly change.
They definitely can be a "work apparel"
https://www.google.com/search?q=busi...android-google

https://www.google.com/search?q=busi...android-google

Old 01-30-2023, 02:49 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
The nice thing about the holidays is.......that you usually end up with a closet of sweaters to wear on a cold day.

But as things go, my kind of sweaters are .................... Wooly Pully!

Old 01-30-2023, 03:32 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I wore a variety of cardigan or pullover sweaters more while working, especially before all the varieties of wicking fabrics and fleece became available. I no longer have more than one or two. Now that I'm retired and spend most of my time kicking around doing house projects or roaming outdoors, my go-tos tend to be some sort of wicking fleece pullover or sweatshirt instead. Don't have to pay as much attention to avoid snagging a sweater's knit. They are also simpler to clean as they don't require hand washing, blocking, laying them flat on something, etc. If I want to wear a non-synthetic fabric I'll layer a heavier cotton chamois or wool blend shirt instead.

Old 01-30-2023, 03:48 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Odd question to me too, I wear sweaters for half the year. Mine are mostly cardigans that I can wear or take off as the day gets warmer or cooler. I also wear a lot of zip up hoodies for the same reason.

OP, don't you live in CA? I needed sweaters there the most because of the big dip in temperatures every evening. Always had to carry a sweater for later.

Old 01-30-2023, 04:52 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Odd for me too. I wear a sweater almost every day in the Fall and Winter.

I have every type imaginable. Cotton thin sweaters for when the temp is just a shy bit cool to a wool cable turtleneck.

For me the two most flattering and style I prefer is a V neck or a Turtleneck. I am not as fond of a cowl neck. I do like a V neck cardigan as well.

Old 01-30-2023, 05:17 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quite a LOT of types! The only types I can think of that I can't stand are any kind of cropped, any bell-sleeves, no kind of fuzzy, scratchy knits, too-long cardigans. Here's a sweater thread I started w/ lots of pics throughout of what I got/like that you may enjoy looking through: http://www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...-sweaters.html

Re: styles, I've been wearing cardigans more often the last few years since it's often too hot to wear a sweater (that goes over my head) that I'll be stuck wearing all day. It may get too hot later & I'd want something to take off. I also LOVE loose-fitted, short-sleeved, cap-sleeve sweaters! Also the chunky turtlenecks, but sadly, it's often too hot to wear them. Re: neckline, I like crewneck, turtleneck, v-neck, boatneck, etc. Also, certain puff-sleeve & fair-isle.
Also, they can have some decorative texture to them, like this for an example: https://us.shein.com/Cable-Knit-Mock...4aAqI5EALw_wcB

Re: weights, nothing too heavy & tight-knit. Light to medium weight usually.

Re: materials, I don't pay attention to that much when I'm looking to buy. Just as long as it's not any kind of fuzzy, scratchy knit. I don't mind cashmere, but I like it fitting loosely & most cashmere sweater I see fit tighter.

I just ordered this & I can't wait for it to arrive!
https://www.stylewe.com/products/wom...8aAjv2EALw_wcB

Last edited by Forever Blue; 01-30-2023 at 05:34 PM..

Old 01-30-2023, 05:30 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
I probably have more sweaters in my closet than any other item. I have lighter weight tunics, a few heavier weight tunics, long and shorter cardigans, pull overs, v-necks, turtle necks, a couple of cowl necks, a sweater poncho or two, a few sweater sets from my working away from home days and a few obligatory ugly Christmas sweaters. All kinds of fabrics and weights: wool, wool blends, cashmere, cotton, cotton/poly blends, a few acrylic (if not scratchy).

I certainly wore nicer sweaters to work. I'm in the Midwest. It gets cold. Most of my sweaters are pretty traditional styles and good quality. I have a few that are at least 25 years old. I still wear those depending on the temperature.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:40 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Two somewhat off-topic points I'll address in the spoiler.
Spoiler
1) Sweaters for men at work, when permissible, tend to be somewhat questionable. In general, women can safely wear many more items than men can.
2) SoCal weather often cools off a lot at night, but that doesn't make sweaters the only solution and I think adding/removing clothes during the day is a minor nuisance.

I don't think I have a cardigan. I, probably along with most males, don't like them. I might have a mock neck or turtleneck, but I don't want to wear one. I might also have a polo sweater somewhere. I mostly wear v-necks and crewnecks, including a cable knit and a waffle knit. In addition, I have at least one full-zip sweater and a half-zip version. Most of my sweaters are cotton, a few are wool, one is ramie (good luck finding that, shoppers), and I think one has some silk fabric. I had a cashmere sweater, but a cleaner lost it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty