Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 06:43 AM

3,399 posts, read 2,026,203 times

Advertisements

It looks like the model isn't wearing a bra and you can see how thin the material is. Consider that when you decide what to wear. I would definitely go with a full body (from top to thighs) slimmer to keep any lumps/bumps under control. Even thin women have them where underwear elastic presses in.

I would wear delicate, feminine accessories. No boots. Kitten heels look beautiful on most women and a gold/beige fabric shoe would elongate the leg and add height. With a side slit, the idea is to show the legs, not cover them in boots. With a body slimmer (like Spanx) you can forgo hose but I think a pair of light silk stockings, maybe with a little sparkle throughout, would look lovely.

Is the dress specifically for a holiday party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 07:08 AM

406 posts, read 226,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
And I understand why you are crazy about it! It's lovely, classic yet stylish.

1. For a very classic look, nude brushed suede high heeled pumps with a pointed toe. Bare legs are what I would wear. Very sheer hose otherwise. I have heard sheer hose has improved.

2. For a slightly edgier look, black open weave tights and short black booties. Like fishnets but a different design. Yes patterned tights. Solid black would be too contrasty. A non-opaque black is another way to go.

3. Or knee-high soft leather tan beige boots. I would not wear hose with that.

4. Winter white booties.

5.winter white high boots.

6.sandals with heels in a neutral or metallic color. Accessorize with jewelry of a similar color. Copper, gold, rose gold, silver all would look good!

I agree on:

1. Yes! Nude (the exact color of your skin) tights and pumps.
4.Yes. Winter white booties and nude tights.

Disagree:
2. I don't think black/white contrasting will work here.

3. No tall boots beige or other. The boots on a model does not look good (rough for the type of this dress) and big for the model (in calf area) IMO.

5. Maybe, white ones, but, IMO high boots will look a bit "rough".
6. Sandals and knitted dress will look odd.

And, (sorry to burst your bubble) - buy the dress first before buying boots.
Things almost always look better on a picture.

They don't state the material it is made of - possibly polyester.
I don't know about you - but I would be suffocating in it.

It looks too revealing and see through - I can see model's nipples, configuration of her pelvic bone, trace her underwear, etc.
Don't forget to look at the back ("butt") pictures.
It might not work at all after you tried it on.
It is also designed without any bra in mind. The décolleté is too low - any type of bra will show. Are you ready to pull off that look?
White knitted dress IMHO is the hardest to pull off. One must be very thin, lean and have a perfect statuesque figure. Good shape perfect small boobs. Perfect butt...Not too bony.
Often it is see through, revealing all flaws and unforgiving.
Think white bathing suit. It is like being nude in public...
If it is for the occasion when it is only you and SO present -like a Valentine's dinner at your house - then anything goes of course.

Old 11-28-2021, 08:00 AM

87 posts, read 60,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
It looks like the model isn't wearing a bra and you can see how thin the material is. Consider that when you decide what to wear. I would definitely go with a full body (from top to thighs) slimmer to keep any lumps/bumps under control. Even thin women have them where underwear elastic presses in.

I would wear delicate, feminine accessories. No boots. Kitten heels look beautiful on most women and a gold/beige fabric shoe would elongate the leg and add height. With a side slit, the idea is to show the legs, not cover them in boots. With a body slimmer (like Spanx) you can forgo hose but I think a pair of light silk stockings, maybe with a little sparkle throughout, would look lovely.

Is the dress specifically for a holiday party?
No, not at all ! I intended to wear it at work (we have work clothes, but have to put back on our own clothes during the lunch break for hygienic reasons)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
I agree on:

1. Yes! Nude (the exact color of your skin) tights and pumps.
4.Yes. Winter white booties and nude tights.

Disagree:
2. I don't think black/white contrasting will work here.

3. No tall boots beige or other. The boots on a model does not look good (rough for the type of this dress) and big for the model (in calf area) IMO.

5. Maybe, white ones, but, IMO high boots will look a bit "rough".
6. Sandals and knitted dress will look odd.

And, (sorry to burst your bubble) - buy the dress first before buying boots.
Things almost always look better on a picture.

They don't state the material it is made of - possibly polyester.
I don't know about you - but I would be suffocating in it.

It looks too revealing and see through - I can see model's nipples, configuration of her pelvic bone, trace her underwear, etc.
Don't forget to look at the back ("butt") pictures.
It might not work at all after you tried it on.
It is also designed without any bra in mind. The décolleté is too low - any type of bra will show. Are you ready to pull off that look?
White knitted dress IMHO is the hardest to pull off. One must be very thin, lean and have a perfect statuesque figure. Good shape perfect small boobs. Perfect butt...Not too bony.
Often it is see through, revealing all flaws and unforgiving.
Think white bathing suit. It is like being nude in public...
If it is for the occasion when it is only you and SO present -like a Valentine's dinner at your house - then anything goes of course.
If neither boots nor sandals will look good, what do you recommend ? Pumps ?
It's made from 80% viscose and polyamide
Knowing that I have a tight black knitted dress from the same brand with an identical composition, and I absolutely love it
Is viscose better than polyester ?
When you say the dress is "unforgiving", are you referring to the color or the fabric ?

Anyway, you make valid points and I am a bit worried now that I have to think about all that ... I have already ordered the dress but I can return it for free if I am dissatisfied

Old 11-28-2021, 08:33 AM

3,399 posts, read 2,026,203 times
With the low neckline and side slit I was thinking it was for a holiday party that's why my suggestions were for something dressier.

If it's for everyday wear then I would still go with a torso covering style of underwear to smooth things out. The thin, white knit is going to show everything underneath even if you're thin.

Old 11-28-2021, 08:41 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,087,082 times
I don't like those boots with it myself. Maybe the heel is too chunky for the white dress? I would prefer an edgier look like the short booties someone mentioned. Or maybe suede boots that are tighter fitting and have a skinnier heel.

I don't like the slit. The slit somehow detracts from the classiness of it, IMO. It looks cheap and tawdry with the slit. I think the dress would still look chic and sexy without it. I love long ribbed dresses. I have a gray one and it's so classic.

I would not wear a scarf with it because part of the attraction of the dress is the open neckline. I would maybe wear a choker necklace with a moto jacket like someone suggested.

Old 11-28-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awayfromnow View Post
No, not at all ! I intended to wear it at work (we have work clothes, but have to put back on our own clothes during the lunch break for hygienic reasons)

If neither boots nor sandals will look good, what do you recommend ? Pumps ?
It's made from 80% viscose and polyamide
Knowing that I have a tight black knitted dress from the same brand with an identical composition, and I absolutely love it
Is viscose better than polyester ?
When you say the dress is "unforgiving", are you referring to the color or the fabric ?

Anyway, you make valid points and I am a bit worried now that I have to think about all that ... I have already ordered the dress but I can return it for free if I am dissatisfied

Well, I did mention booties. Short, especially if you have good legs 8O)
Something like these?:
https://www.saksoff5th.com/product/s...25_color=WHITE
Not sure if the white shade will match.

IMO pumps will look best.
White tall boots may work - but, do you need to buy boots ($100-200) for $90 dress?

Oh, yes - viscose is better.

There might be a big difference in black and white knitted dress looks.
Yes, I mean color. White is unforgiving especially in tight and thin knitted dresses

I have (like... forever) a midi merino wool black Ralph Lauren dress that still looks like new.
It looks good with anything - I mean anything and any color of boots or pumps.
I don't have to think about what to match with it.
I prefer to go all black in it 8o) I don't have to buy any boots, already have lots of black...shoes, boots, bags...I can add a leather jacket and any kind of boots, even snow boots...

Old 11-28-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
With the low neckline and side slit I was thinking it was for a holiday party that's why my suggestions were for something dressier.

If it's for everyday wear then I would still go with a torso covering style of underwear to smooth things out. The thin, white knit is going to show everything underneath even if you're thin.

Yep, yep, that was my point. It will show a "shaper" you are wearing too.
It looks nice and sexy because she is not wearing a bra. But add a bra to it and it will be a different story...

And, I put my 2 cents - not that I claim to be a fashion expert or anything like that. I and a lot of older women here have learned a lot by trial and error. And it comes with experience and a lot of wasted money too.

Old 11-28-2021, 07:20 PM

11,014 posts, read 7,564,592 times
Viscose is a type of rayon, which is a fiber made from wood pulp. Rayon used to be called "art silk" (possibly shortened from artificial silk), and can feel like either silk or cotton, or somewhere in between.

I think the boots are too heavy and dark for the dress. I'd go with nude hose or bare legs and sleek pumps or sandals. If you wear colored shoes, I'd add a short necklace/earrings that includes the same color.

It seems awfully sexy to wear to work, but maybe your job culture is different from mine.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:46 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,204,442 times
The dress is beautiful, but I'd be a little concerned about how see-through it is. Often that doesn't come across in catalog photos. You might need to try several tights and boots before you hit the right ones.

I really admire the courage of people who can wear white dresses and pants. I'm a retired entomologist and I'm not the least bit afraid of any insects, spiders, or snakes, but white pants give me a panic attack.

Old 11-29-2021, 07:48 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,414,041 times
I think booties or heels if you don’t love knee high boots. Show off those legs! I think you could go with any color tights you want depending on the look you are going for. I’m more conservative in dress and would probably go without tights or with nude. But you may be able to pull off something more edgy. Adding a belt could be fun. A scarf or a statement necklace. A denim or moto style jacket. If you can pull off that dress in white…go for it! I wish I’d have had the confidence when I had my pre-pregnancies bod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty