Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 02:19 PM

9,576 posts, read 5,372,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
If you're referring to the "classic safety razor" as the double-bladed razor with an adjustable screw to tighten the head, I had several nasty experiences where the screw loosened when I was shaving my legs (I'm female) and took a nice long strip of skin off. I much prefer the newer razors that have multiple blades adjust to the skin contours - they shave closely as well IMHO.

True story...back in the day I had a gyno appointment and, being the courteous type, I shaved my legs beforehand. With those older razors I used to cut the heck out of my legs so I had a bunch of bandaids on.
He asked me if I tried to commit suicide (not that suicide is funny by any means, but it was sure funny then._)

I use VENUS razors now (they cost as much as gold). They pivot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 01:11 PM

6,523 posts, read 4,064,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
True story...back in the day I had a gyno appointment and, being the courteous type, I shaved my legs beforehand. With those older razors I used to cut the heck out of my legs so I had a bunch of bandaids on.
He asked me if I tried to commit suicide (not that suicide is funny by any means, but it was sure funny then._)

I use VENUS razors now (they cost as much as gold). They pivot.
LOL. Which just goes to show you... men. If he'd been female, it probably would've been, "girl, let me recommend a new shaving cream and a good styptic pencil." (You would think men-- at least the ones who had ever shaved-- would know about shaving cuts. Then again, you would think a doctor would know better than to think minor cuts on one's shins is anywhere near a valid method of suicide.)

Old 01-29-2022, 01:21 PM

45,624 posts, read 61,049,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
That's triply true with an electric razor. I haven't found it to be the case with multiblade razors.
Norelco (the only brand of electric I've used) even tells you in the instructions to shave for a couple weeks, I don't remember if frequency was mentioned, to let your beard adjust to using an electric.

I never really liked the multi-blade razors.

I started using an old fashioned safety razor when I retired. I still will use the Norelco if I'm pressed for time in the morning or use it in the evening for a touch up if I have to go somewhere I'm on display.

Another funny thing about shaving and my retirement. When I was still working I'd skip shaving on weekends and breaks. Now I shave every day, even when I'm going to spend the morning in the goose blind.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:45 AM

9,576 posts, read 5,372,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
LOL. Which just goes to show you... men. If he'd been female, it probably would've been, "girl, let me recommend a new shaving cream and a good styptic pencil." (You would think men-- at least the ones who had ever shaved-- would know about shaving cuts. Then again, you would think a doctor would know better than to think minor cuts on one's shins is anywhere near a valid method of suicide.)
He was joking...

Old 01-30-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
He was joking...
Oh, that's better, then. I know people whose doctors wouldn't have been joking...

Old 02-07-2022, 09:12 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,544,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwisden View Post
Between modern multiblade razors like the flexball power razor from gillette or the pace seven blade power razor from dorco whos a south korean manufacturer and a double edge safety razor, which will deliver a truly closer shave with so much marketing around?
Speaking for myself, when I used to wet shave I always had better results with a traditional safety razor than with any of the newer multiblade disposables or cartridges. With those, I usually cut myself on the first stroke, but I almost never did with safety razors. I think it had something to do with the angle of attack on your skin. If you've ever been shaved by a barber using a straight razor, you probably noticed that he more or less holds the blade perpendicular to the contour of your face. He doesn't "dive in" low to "slice off" those whiskers like they show on the commercials for cartridge blades. ISTM safety razors are designed to work like straight razors, that is the cutting edge is more or less perpendicular to your face, rather than attacking it at a low angle.

I'm not criticizing anyone here, but the first triple-bladed razor was a joke on SNL. At that point there were only twin edged razors, and apparently not many people believed there would ever be more than that. What's the most they have now? Five? According to the link, triple edged razors didn't come out until the 1990s which seems surprising. I thought it was much earlier.

Old 02-07-2022, 10:13 PM

5,532 posts, read 8,822,535 times
i quit using the traditional double-edged razors ages ago for a simple reason: it was a PITA to get rid of the blades. When I was a kid I used to see a slot in the back of every bathroom's medicine cabinet for throwing away your blades. Can't remember the last time I've seen that. For a while I was either going ushaved or just leaving used razors everywhere and worrying about them. Now, with a multi-blade cartridge I can get a good shave and just throw the damn thing away after a week or so.

Old 02-08-2022, 06:58 AM

4,699 posts, read 2,839,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
i quit using the traditional double-edged razors ages ago for a simple reason: it was a PITA to get rid of the blades. When I was a kid I used to see a slot in the back of every bathroom's medicine cabinet for throwing away your blades. Can't remember the last time I've seen that. For a while I was either going ushaved or just leaving used razors everywhere and worrying about them. Now, with a multi-blade cartridge I can get a good shave and just throw the damn thing away after a week or so.
All the razor blades I've used for the last 40 years came in a little box (metal or plastic) with a slot in the back for used blades.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Take a used can, cut a slit in the top, deposit the blades. Whole thing goes in the trash when full.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:48 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,544,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Quote:
Take a used can, cut a slit in the top, deposit the blades. Whole thing goes in the trash when full.
I use an empty 1.5L mouthwash bottle, which...now...will probably last me the rest of my life. But the advantage is that I didn't have to make a slit so I could put the blades in. I can simply unscrew the cap and drop the used blades right in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty