Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 08:52 PM

35,109 posts, read 31,388,112 times

Advertisements

As a fair skinned white guy with some occasional acne, I'd probably take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 09:42 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,062,917 times
I'm trying to be real -

"PROFESSIONAL photos", as in suitable for publication, headshots, you trying to put yourself on a book jacket, on a Prospectus? I'd take the options for makeup + even hairstylists + wardrobe consultant.

Look very carefully, at your own Youtube searches for "Men's Natural Makeup" tutorials, especially for skin tones close to your own. In my opinion, the emphasis is to cover blemishes, dark circles, even out the skin tone - not to make you look like Drag Queen RuPaul with purple lipstick + blue eye shadow on.

Think "subtle improvement" - I defer to Youtube on this one - 1080p video is worth 10,000 words here.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:03 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,181,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
They didn't suggest it or anything. It's just an option that's available. I'm wondering if it's standard to do so.
If your skin is uniform in pigmentation, I'd say skip it if you have to pay for it. For one thing, they can retouch anything that needs it before they print the photos.

My late father was a professional portrait photographer, and even before Photoshop, it was easy for a skilled retoucher like my stepmother who worked for him, to do a little magic.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:35 PM

652 posts, read 523,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
If your skin is uniform in pigmentation, I'd say skip it if you have to pay for it. For one thing, they can retouch anything that needs it before they print the photos.

My late father was a professional portrait photographer, and even before Photoshop, it was easy for a skilled retoucher like my stepmother who worked for him, to do a little magic.

Yeah, it doesn't seem necessary now that I think about it. Seems like unnecessary extra costs.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:18 PM

18,137 posts, read 25,324,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I'm working with a photography company and they're offering makeup. As a dark-skinned Black man in my 30s is this necessary? Is this the norm?
In reality ... if you watch TV carefully, you'll notice that a lot of men use makeup

If I was you, I would.

Old 01-12-2022, 04:59 PM

9,484 posts, read 5,262,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
A little powder to eliminate shine is probably all you need. Or they may be able to even out skin tone with some foundation if that's an issue. But if they offer photo editing, you may not even need that.
This right here ^^^ you are probably perfectly beautiful, but little make up tricks can really 'up' a photo.

If they start caking it on, I'd decline.

Old 01-12-2022, 06:46 PM

10,357 posts, read 8,592,498 times
I’d look at their past samples and asked which people had makeup.
For women it can make a huge difference.
I have retouched a lot of people and a good retoucher can do a lot. But then it means more work and possibly higher costs for,production.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:44 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,876,410 times
IMO flattering lighting makes more of a difference than makeup when it comes to getting an attractive photo. Diffused fill lights cover a multitude of sins.

A lot of photographers aren't very experienced at correctly lighting dark skin...if their portfolio shots are all fair and light-skinned people, I'd consider going elsewhere.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:54 PM

3,065 posts, read 2,051,247 times
I would definitely want to see their samples of portraits with makeup of people with your skin color before I said yes. Getting the color right takes some know-how, especially for men. Women have had years to learn which color foundation is right for them. Better option is Photoshop to do touchups, like the movie stars.

The person who commented that if your skin is even in pigmentation you don't need it is probably right.

I am a retired portrait photographer (never offered makeup to clients but happy if they wore it) and when photographing darker skin it is the quality of the light that makes a big difference. Large umbrella lights give the best light quality, luckily many photographers use them. Some older studios still use smaller lights with harsher specular quality (not good for dark skin).

Good luck.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:11 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,468,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
In reality ... if you watch TV carefully, you'll notice that a lot of men use makeup

If I was you, I would.
TV isn't the same as Photography. The lights are hotter, the image can't be "touched up" in the same way, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty