Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 07:27 PM

19,639 posts, read 12,231,401 times

Advertisements

I looked in a store mirror and saw a nightmare. I hope it was shadows being cast by unnatural flat light, weird angles and a cheap mirror. Lines appeared that don't even show up in bright daylight and strange shadows and bumpy things. I had done a decent job on my makeup I thought, but it looked like crap in that mirror.

Are fluorescent lights the devil's doing- a cruel trick, or a reality check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 07:46 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
4:10 is for you:

George Carlin - Little Moments

Personally, I think everyone looks quite monstrous under fluorescent lighting..lol.

Old 05-04-2022, 03:21 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I looked in a store mirror and saw a nightmare. I hope it was shadows being cast by unnatural flat light, weird angles and a cheap mirror. Lines appeared that don't even show up in bright daylight and strange shadows and bumpy things. I had done a decent job on my makeup I thought, but it looked like crap in that mirror.

hahahaah one day in a shopping mall I was rushing through and thought Whos that old crabbit looking woman coming towards me....was me in a mirrored pillar.. near died when I saw how awful I looked to the public.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:22 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,155,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
hahahaah one day in a shopping mall I was rushing through and thought Whos that old crabbit looking woman coming towards me....was me in a mirrored pillar.. near died when I saw how awful I looked to the public.
One time I and my 2 sons were at the mall. My youngest was acting up, and I decided it was time to GO. I had him by the collar of his shirt, pulling him along. I saw my reflection, and I looked like a wicked witch pulling Hansel along. LOL

Old 05-04-2022, 08:24 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
We have two bathrooms at work, one has frosted windows across from the mirrors that reflect soft natural light back at your face, and the other is in an interior section with fluorescent lighting that makes you look like a cave troll.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:04 AM

19,639 posts, read 12,231,401 times
I used to look into those bathroom mirrors every day at work and it wasn't that bad. Maybe just getting older and seeing what's really there.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:44 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,780,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
-
I had that happen in the dentist's chair with the monitor positioned on the ceiling so you could watch what was going on in your mouth (as if you'd want to!). While I was awaiting the hygienist I looked up and thought "they must not have cleared the previous old relic from the system" - and then I realized it was me. The woman before me was truly ancient and decrepit so my "old relic" thought, while unkind and only in my head, wasn't off base. I was only 50 at the time and I thought looked pretty decent. Lighting and angle can be a real blow to the ego and perception.

Old 05-04-2022, 12:54 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

If you think that's bad, look at yourself on Zoom or in your phone's selfie mode!

Old 05-04-2022, 12:56 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
-
I had that happen in the dentist's chair with the monitor positioned on the ceiling so you could watch what was going on in your mouth (as if you'd want to!). While I was awaiting the hygienist I looked up and thought "they must not have cleared the previous old relic from the system" - and then I realized it was me. The woman before me was truly ancient and decrepit so my "old relic" thought, while unkind and only in my head, wasn't off base. I was only 50 at the time and I thought looked pretty decent. Lighting and angle can be a real blow to the ego and perception.
This is why in Hollywood they say, "There are no unattractive people. Only people with insufficient lighting."

Old 05-04-2022, 02:04 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you think that's bad, look at yourself on Zoom or in your phone's selfie mode!
You beat me to it! I was actually going to ask about this! What is the DEAL with Zoom? The only other time I see myself is in the soft natural light of the bathroom (window light) and I think I look "Ok", considering.

Then I get on Zoom and I have to tape over my own image so as not to cry out loud.

Same thing when the phone accidently switches to selfie mode when I'm trying to take a picture. Holy Cr@p. No selfies for me.

On the bright side, I have two really flattering Drivers License pictures, of all things! I keep them in my wallet where I can get cheered up anytime, lol.

So, it makes you wonder---WHY ON EARTH do "beauty" salons and dressing rooms have the very worst unflattering lighting! Don't they realize you need to look good to buy the product? So very weird. I sometimes avoid the salon for just this reason.

Doesn't have to be that way---ONE time I was in a Nordstrom's that had low, flattering light in a spacious dressing room with upholstered seats.....now we're talking! I so appreciated that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty