Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 07:24 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,862,143 times

Advertisements

It went downhill with hippie fashion in the late 60s and never recovered. Starting around the mid 70s, everything started to look and seem disheveled and gritty. Every passing decade since the late 60s, fashion has been baggy, sloppy and unkempt. In the last 15 years we've got so many people covering up their whole arms or body parts with large tattoos. It's like people collectively gave up, stopped caring and now try to intentionally make themselves look butchered up, disfigured, and messy. It gives off a desolate and nihilistic vibe about society at large and where we're all going in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 08:00 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
It went downhill with hippie fashion in the late 60s and never recovered. Starting around the mid 70s, everything started to look and seem disheveled and gritty. Every passing decade since the late 60s, fashion has been baggy, sloppy and unkempt. In the last 15 years we've got so many people covering up their whole arms or body parts with large tattoos. It's like people collectively gave up, stopped caring and now try to intentionally make themselves look butchered up, disfigured, and messy. It gives off a desolate and nihilistic vibe about society at large and where we're all going in the future.
This is a sociopolitical rant dressed up as a fashion question.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:02 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
This is a sociopolitical rant dressed up as a fashion question.
Right? People are expressing themselves through fashion the way that they want, and that's somehow the downfall of society.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:54 AM

5,010 posts, read 591,763 times
I tend to agree with you.

Take a look at what defined fashion in the 1950's :

Old 03-26-2023, 08:57 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,150,656 times
Part of it boils down to- who could afford to look sharp?

A lot of the tackiest styles in recent history were garments that were made of polyester, or polyester blends. Fashion designed for the masses.

It truly is a matter of taste. For example, the late Queen Elizabeth of England had a personal style that was very conservative and predictable, but that was her life.

In my lifetime I've known people who wear business dress all week and then put on wild clothing to go party or ...do whatever.

Lately people are so short on time, they barely have time to put together outfits. Case in point any occasion requiring a dress code can be an ordeal for a busy person- buying the right thing, accessorizing it, etc.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:50 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
It also comes down to priorities. No one cares about "putting on airs" anymore. They're more concerned about self-expression, affordability, comfort, variety, etc.

Old 03-26-2023, 05:17 PM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times
There are videos of shopping malls, grocery stores, fast food restaurants taken back in the 70's and 80's and it is amazing how slim and well dressed everyone back then was. I'm sure that was even more true in the 50's and 60's. Just look at an old video or photographs of HS students from the 50's and they were very sharply dressed.

It's a real eye opener. That said, I really don't want to go back to the days when you had to be perfectly coiffed to go out in public.

Old 03-26-2023, 05:22 PM

3,115 posts, read 1,007,936 times
It's about self-respect.

Old 03-26-2023, 05:43 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Not everyone, around the world, dresses like a slob and looking like a slob is not considered a self expression or fashion.
I am not sure why some people think that only baggy, shapeless, oversized clothes can make them feel comfortable. Or that's perfectly ok to wear them in public.
I wonder if they respect themselves, because they for sure don't respect others.
Some people probably don't have full body mirrors at home and totally lack self criticism.

Old 03-26-2023, 06:02 PM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not everyone, around the world, dresses like a slob and looking like a slob is not considered a self expression or fashion.
I am not sure why some people think that only baggy, shapeless, oversized clothes can make them feel comfortable. Or that's perfectly ok to wear them in public.
I wonder if they respect themselves, because they for sure don't respect others.
Some people probably don't have full body mirrors at home and totally lack self criticism.
I agree with this. 'looking like a slob is not considered self-expression or fashion.'
My observation is that sometimes, like with coloring your hair, a woman might feel like "I don't need to dye my hair anymore, I'm retired, I don't need to conform to society's expectation that I continue to keep myself 'attractive,' that kind of thing....
I realized, personally, that when I was careless about how i dressed, or always dressed for comfort, I did not look my best. I also realized that to look good in pieces that would look more attractive on me, I have to keep up my exercise and keep my weight down - again, something other people view as more of a societal expectation than a personal goal, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty