Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 08:54 PM

65 posts, read 44,980 times

Advertisements

I’ve been “rebuilding” - aka spending a lot of money - on my wardrobe after turning 40 and feeling a desire to shift my style.

Wearing athleisure non-stop as I work from home has also gotten old, so investing in new clothing has felt good. (Although I’ve been updating my workout wear as well.)

I’ve been spending about $1k a month and gave myself a year to to build a new set of high-quality basics for every facet of life. (For example I bought a few nice dresses I *adore* to have on hand so I don’t need to buy something just okay on short notice.)

That year is almost up and although I haven’t been as disciplined as I would have liked, good progress has been made.

After the year, I’d like to return to maybe $500 a month, which I feel is good to keep things updated and still enjoy a few new beautiful pieces. Clothing is a big creative outlet for me, and something I truly enjoy even though it also stresses me out because I can never find the things I want.

Finding new brands has been a big part of this process because mall brands just weren’t doing it for me. I used to buy a lot at Anthropologie but over time realized their clothes are actually poor quality and ill-fitting.

Ground rules: I skip fast fashion, however tempting, in favor of brands that are made in America when possible, or at the very least, not made in China.

I also favor organic / sustainable materials when possible because cheap clothing has many chemicals - including formaldehyde - that can cause cancer or disrupt hormones.

That said - I am very curious what people spend each month on clothing, and where you shop.

My favorite brands are Rouje, Sezane, Beyond Yoga, Joah Brown, Rails, Vuori, Auguste the Label and Reformation. I’ve also been eyeing Nation LTD though haven’t purchased anything yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 06:20 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
I don't have a monthly budget. When I need or want something, I buy it. I can go months without buying anything. And then I may have a spree. But even when having a spree, I don't think I've ever spent $500 in one shot. I haven't heard of the brands you mentioned, so I'm guessing they're out of my general price point.

Since I'm working from home now, most of my wardrobe is coming from Athleta.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:11 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,795,443 times
I get all my clothes at thrift stores. I may spend $50 at most for the year.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
I would say average is 25. I only buy new clothes once or twice a year, and don't spend a lot. I'll get jeans, socks and underwear from Costco, and shirts from Duluth Trading. Thinking about the last year, I spent about $400 total.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:47 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
If I never bought another thing, I’d have enough, but I still buy things if I see something that fits my lifestyle and is becoming.

This fall I’ve bought NYDJ black jeans, a jacket from QVC, nightgown and matching robe from JJill, and a floaty maxi dress from Soft Surroundings. So, I’ve spent about $400. but I’ll go for months and months without buying anything else.

Old 09-29-2022, 06:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
None of my hormones were ever inhibited by my clothes. I preferred the pill to be on the safer side.

WFH has made everyday easy as in mail order. Going out is a bit difficult as often it has to support vintage Indian American jewelry.

SO needs at least two pairs of boots per year and an assortment of shirts/pants. Going out gets into custom beading and embroidery.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:17 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,028,840 times
I can't imagine spending $1k/month on clothes. Would feel I'd need to lose 20 pounds to start spending big money.
This year probably spent $50/month or less on clothes, shoes could move that to $100 some months.

Being retired makes life easy, don't have to look good for work.
I have many clothes that aren't trendy so the style lasts for many years.
Been trying not to ruin teeshirts as much (painting is my main hobby) but they are inexpensive to replace.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,610 posts, read 17,935,039 times
I can't even imagine spending 1K a month, for a year, on clothing, and I'm someone who looks "put together", and fairly well dressed all the time.

OP, I think you're way overpaying for labels.

I do agree with your statement of never being able to find things you want. I can't BELIEVE how hard it is, in the last several years, to walk into a retail store and find a piece of clothing I want to buy. So I'm right there with you on that.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:53 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaysway View Post
I’ve been “rebuilding” - aka spending a lot of money - on my wardrobe after turning 40 and feeling a desire to shift my style.

Wearing athleisure non-stop as I work from home has also gotten old, so investing in new clothing has felt good. (Although I’ve been updating my workout wear as well.)

I’ve been spending about $1k a month and gave myself a year to to build a new set of high-quality basics for every facet of life. (For example I bought a few nice dresses I *adore* to have on hand so I don’t need to buy something just okay on short notice.)

That year is almost up and although I haven’t been as disciplined as I would have liked, good progress has been made.

After the year, I’d like to return to maybe $500 a month, which I feel is good to keep things updated and still enjoy a few new beautiful pieces. Clothing is a big creative outlet for me, and something I truly enjoy even though it also stresses me out because I can never find the things I want.

Finding new brands has been a big part of this process because mall brands just weren’t doing it for me. I used to buy a lot at Anthropologie but over time realized their clothes are actually poor quality and ill-fitting.

Ground rules: I skip fast fashion, however tempting, in favor of brands that are made in America when possible, or at the very least, not made in China.

I also favor organic / sustainable materials when possible because cheap clothing has many chemicals - including formaldehyde - that can cause cancer or disrupt hormones.

That said - I am very curious what people spend each month on clothing, and where you shop.

My favorite brands are Rouje, Sezane, Beyond Yoga, Joah Brown, Rails, Vuori, Auguste the Label and Reformation. I’ve also been eyeing Nation LTD though haven’t purchased anything yet.

I'm not familiar with any of the brands you mentioned so I googled the first few up until Joah Brown, they're all what I would consider expensive brands, even that yoga site, a pair of pants is $97! That's crazy! Each one of them was at least $100 if not more for one clothing piece.

I don't know anyone that would have that kind of money every month for clothing.

I just bought my grandson (age 9) new clothes for school, about 5 pants, 7 T-shirts, underwear, a few hoodies and Nike sneakers, I spent about $300. All of his stuff was name brand such as Puma, Reebok, Nike. I shopped at Burlington and Marshall's where you can find some great deals on designer clothes. I don't know if they have anything you'd like but you should check them out if you haven't.

Old 09-29-2022, 10:12 PM

1,204 posts, read 934,240 times
Op, I hardly spend anything on clothes, but I have a collectible hobby that most of my discretionary money goes to. From your description, I’d say lovely clothes do for you what my collection does for me, and maybe what travel or home remodeling does for others on city data. My boundary is as long as I pay my bills, give reasonably to charity and community, and put something aside for savings, I can indulge my hobby as much as I like with what’s left. I’d bet most of us will spend much much less than you on clothes, but if we think of your question in terms of how much do we spend on the discretionary budget item that’s our hobby, gives us pleasure, and is something we feel passionate about, ah, then there’s going to be more people understanding your clothes budget. (I used the word we a lot in that last sentence, shouldn’t assume anything about other forum readers, feel free to substitute “I.”)

Last edited by upnorthretiree; 09-29-2022 at 10:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty