Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wear White After Labor Day????
No, wouldn't think of wearing white after Labor Day! 10 25.64%
Heard of that so-called "rule" but I wear what I like when I like! 25 64.10%
Never even heard that "rule!" 1 2.56%
Who Wants to know??? 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:01 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times

Advertisements

Where I live, it's pretty much summer all year round, so white is acceptable any time, but I agree with the white shoes and dark clothes being a no-no. That's just something Mistress Twinkle would not be caught dead doing - ever! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 12:12 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Where I live, it's pretty much summer all year round, so white is acceptable any time, but I agree with the white shoes and dark clothes being a no-no. That's just something Mistress Twinkle would not be caught dead doing - ever! LOL
Well, what about the opposite? This morning my boss ( who is normally a very sharp dresser) was wearing white pants with black sandals (with blue/white trimmed blouse) It didn't look too bad, but I always thought you should wear white sandals with pant pants. Am I wrong?

Old 08-29-2008, 12:31 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, what about the opposite? This morning my boss ( who is normally a very sharp dresser) was wearing white pants with black sandals (with blue/white trimmed blouse) It didn't look too bad, but I always thought you should wear white sandals with pant pants. Am I wrong?
The black sandals don't go w/ the blue/white blouse. If the blue in the blouse was more of a turquoise she should have found some sandals that were turquoise instead (I have a couple of pairs this color and LOVE wearing them w/ white as a splash of color w/ a matching handbag). This would still give a lot of SUMMER color to the outfit and a nice fun splash.

The other option is silver. Silver is very popular option (I also have plenty of pairs of silver shoes that are all "sandals" but with different heel heights). I just don't go w/ wearing black shoes when wearing navy/blue clothing or vice versa. As you might be able to guess............. I LOVE SHOES!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 12:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
No, you're not wrong. I have on white knee length Ann Taylor shorts today and I'm wearing white shoes. I would wear whie shoes with white pants or shoes that match whatever top I'm wearing. If a blue top and white pants then I'd wear either blue shoes that match the top or white shoes that match the pants.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:23 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
I'm a strict believer that the colors one wears are dictated by the calender. Mostly this has to do with having grown up with four seasons, something a lot of Americans aren't familiar with anymore

I don't like white as a color. Only once or twice a summer will I be inspired to actually wear white as a serious outfit color. It's too empty to me to ever really be considered an outfit; too empty, too stark, too... I don't know, striking.

Here in Los Angeles I see too many women who think that it's OK to wear white after Labor Day. If someone else tells me that white is the new black I swear to god, so help me, I'll be on the 7 o'clock news for having broken their jaws. I know it's always sunny here and it's generally very warm in winter, but no. It's not OK to wear white past Labor Day. There are so many great colors to choose from. I obviously can't wear brown or red-hued eyeshadow until Autumn rolls around, why would I throw that away on white?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:58 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
I wear natural brownish shades of eye shadow year round and I wear white as long as it's warm...which in Florida is from about March - October. When I go on my cruise in February I will be wearing white as well.

I could care less what the calendar says. However, I did grow up with the rule that you only wear white shoes with the matching white purse from Easter to Labor Day. As my son asked me one day when he was little....who made all these stupid rules anyway?

Old 08-30-2008, 11:16 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
I never wear white, I personally think it's an ugly color. But even when I used to have some white clothes and shoes, I stuck by the "no white after Labor Day rule", and "no white before Memorial Day". We do have four seasons where I live, and you don't often see white clothing or shoes past summer.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:27 PM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
This wouldnt apply to me because I dont wear nor own anything white anyway. Except socks!!
The only white you'll find in my closet might be from former uniform blouses, like when I was waiting tables somewhere and HAD to wear them, but gawd only knows why I still have those after all these years.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:44 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
If it's hot enough for shorts and sleeveless shirts, then (IMO) white is ok! (Aside from some shorts and capris and shirts, I don't wear anything white! White shoes make your feet look HUGE!)
There are styles in "winter white" and I think that looks great!

I think it's only in 4-season areas that this "rule" applies. In the Caribbean, folks wear white all year round!

Old 08-30-2008, 05:45 PM

561 posts, read 1,513,014 times
I don't wear white shoes or after Labor Day. I think white apparel is fine all year long -- hence the term "winter white" which is more of a vanilla color and not a glaring white. I usually shy away from white pants once the weather turns cooler. In this day and age, just about anything goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty