Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 02:31 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,884,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim1 View Post
I used L'Oreal 4a to darken my hair from natural light brown to dark brown, and it all washed out in about...maybe 4 weeks. I followed all the instructions, and right after I had it colored I went to see a professional to check on the job I've done, and she said it looked like natural, and that I did a great job. But now my hair is back to it's natural color, and I find it very weird. The color came out on the towels every time I washed my hair and now I am light brown again. My husband is disappointed because he really liked the color. I googled to see if anybody else had the same problem, and I run into this forum.

I have no idea if it's my hair or the product. I used permanent color and I am used with coloring hair, I did that many times for my mom. It's just so weird. I might need to go to a professional and try it again.

What kind of L'Oreal hairdye product did you use?

I used L'Oreal Excellence Cream (dark brown), about 1 month ago, and my hair is fine and still the same color (same exact color as the lady on the cover of the box too). I never had any problems with this particular product. But I also don't color my hair often anymore either (only 1 time a year now).
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 02:47 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,616 times
sounds like you got a bad batch of hair color. I'm glad you check to see if the color in the box is the same as the one you want...I do that too because I know bottles can get switched in drug stores, at the factory, etc. Better to be safe than sorry!

L'Oreal really should have sent you a coupon for a free box of hair color!

I use L'Oreal Preference and Excellence and my hair fades out very quickly in about 2 weeks because I have quite alot of gray. It's quite a dilema for me because I don't want to color my hair that often.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:51 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times
I stopped using the L'oreal Ferria because my roots started to show in a week, now I use Clairol Nice and Easy, it last four weeks.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:58 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
Red doesn't stay in very long. Not sure if have always been dying your hair red or if this was your first time. However I have had similar experiences with it not staying in very long.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,599 times
Well, thanks to all who posted info about red hair color not staying in long. I was contemplating coloring my brunette hair a plum color, but now I think I'll pass and just stay brunette.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:41 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post

I use L'Oreal Preference and Excellence and my hair fades out very quickly in about 2 weeks because I have quite alot of gray. It's quite a dilema for me because I don't want to color my hair that often.
Excellence is formulated for hair that has a greater amount of gray/white than Preference. Permanent hair color hangs onto the melatonin in the hair shaft, so it's much harder for color to "stick" on white/gray hair. You may also need to increase the time you leave it on. I've worked up to 40 minutes before I comb through so I get a good take on the color.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 9,492 times
I have learned no matter what color I dye my hair, it does literally wash out and I am back to natural blond within 3 washes. Turns out it has to do with the water treatment system used for my house.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:56 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
this thread is from 2008?

Old 04-22-2023, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,439 times
Default It's not the gray hair, it's the hair dye!

I had died my hair for the first time in my life. I usually have it trimmed, have always taken care of it and for the most part, had virgin hair.
I started to notice gray hairs and wanted to dye my hair to cover them up. I wasn't going any darker or lighter, I just wanted the strands invisible to me. ( I am the only one who seems to see them because 1) I actually look for them and 2) admiringly there really aren't that many.)
However, when I had my hair dyed by a friend dye my hair for me, the grays never covered and the color was very faint on some strands and out within a weeks time.
What a waste of chance to put chemicals in my hair!
I have read several posts about this being due to the hair not taking once we gray and or the damage to hair can cause the dye not to take...ooookkkaaayyy...then what would it be in my case? I do not have much gray, my hair had always been taken care of , so I am curious as to how many have this issue and what would you recommend?
Thank you all for your time
Lita

Old 04-23-2023, 07:08 PM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
I have been coloring my hair for over 20 years . . . started getting lots of white patches in my early 30s. I have been using L'Oreal products for about 16 -18 years. Sometimes, I have my hair professionally colored and just fill in w/ home color. But for the last 10 months, I have been coloring my hair all the time myself.

My latest color is Intense Copper Red, and I have been using that for maybe four years. (Preference).

I apply my haircolor the same way I always have for all these years. I use Redken shampoo and conditioner - can't remember the name - but it is the color extend/protect shampoo for redheads.

Three weeks ago, I put my haircolor on and noticed it didn't seem as bright as usual when I dried it. I was going out of town so I didn't really think much about it. What a mess!! The first day out of town, I had on a white baseball cap, and when I took it off, there was faint pinkish red color on the inside of the cap! I thought - GOOD GRIEF - that is odd!

Then the next morning I washed my hair and when I dried it, my towel had pink streaks all over it.

Then that evening, we were at the beach, and my hair got wet, and it was dripping pink down my neck - to the point that my husband noticed it. And it got on my white bathing suit cover-up.

I washed my hair that evening and more pink on the towel!!

The next day, I wore my cap again and more pink in the hat (I washed the hat and some of it came out). The next day I washed my hair and realized my roots were starting to show again. I could not believe it! By the end of the week, my roots only had faint color on them (and I have very white roots!!!)

The next week, after washing my hair twice, it was like I had never put on hair color.

I wrote L'Oreal and got a dumb form type letter back saying "oh, sorry you didn't have the experience you wanted. Call us so we can help you figure out how to better apply your color the next time, blah blah."

I put my haircolor back on today, and so far all seems fine. We will see how it goes this week.

I am taking NO meds - only the same thing I have taken off and on as needed all my life - Sudafed and tylenol, as needed.

Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I think L'Oreal should be alerted b/c something obviously was wrong w/ that batch of hair color. And I think they should give me a coupon to get a free box of haircolor.

I will call them next week even tho they obviously are not very interested in resolving this.

Just wondered if anyone else has had such an experience w/ permanent hair color. In all these years, I have never had anything like this occur.
That is awful. I remember when something similar happened to an older female relative. She had been dying her hair red using the same box dye for years (Clairol I think). One day she went to dye and, lo and behold, they must have reformulated that box of dye because it dyed her hair a garish pink/orange color. After that horrid experience she just said the heck with it and stopped dying her hair.

I noticed the Garnier boxed dye that I just purchased has a notation on the box: "Improved richer color". I have been using this same box dye for years to color my hair medium brown. I sure hope that Garnier hasn't done to me what L'oreal did to you. I guess I'll find out.

Why, oh why, can't they just leave our tried and true products alone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care