Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 12:41 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times

Advertisements

iHerb.com - Product List - Tea Tree Oil

I wanted to get some strait TT to mix into a tonic spray for skin.

But anyway...is there a difference in any of these brands from iherb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 02:38 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
The only thing I ever used Tea Tree Oil for was over almost two decades ago when my daughter got lice at school. I opted to use it instead of a chemical on her head. Worked great. I didn't know you could use it for other types of applications. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:21 AM

617 posts, read 2,073,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
iHerb.com - Product List - Tea Tree Oil

I wanted to get some strait TT to mix into a tonic spray for skin.

But anyway...is there a difference in any of these brands from iherb?
All EOs are not created equal. Of the brands listed, I'd opt for Aura Cacia. But my first choice would be from one of the suppliers I trust. I love the quality of EOs from both the Herbarie and Nature's Gift. Most soapmakers also know that Appalachian Valley Natural Products have excellent EOs as well, although I've never bought from him.

The great thing about the companies I listed is that if you have questions about any products, Angie from the Herbarie or Marge from Nature's Gift will be more than happy to answer them for you. They're both very knowledgeable.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 AM

Oh yeh..I though I remembered you saying you did soap making...
Thanks!

You wouldnt have any recipes/ratios to how I should mix this tonic?

I wanted to make it TT, lav (for scent) + aloe gel

I want it to be an all natural spray tonic I can use post shave and for breakouts

Old 01-13-2009, 11:50 AM

Are you using a pre-made aloe gel? How will you thin out the gel to get it to spray? If you're using water, be sure to buy distilled water. Aloe is a challenge to preserve so if you're using a premade gel that already has preservative added, you're better off making small batches and refrigerating the tonic.

When I make a facial spray, I usually opt for hydrosols or distillates. You can't add an EO to a water based product without getting separation, unless you also use an emulsifying system. Or shake it really well each time you use it.

For a soothing toner, I'd probably use a combination of Chamomile, Lavender Witch Hazel and Helichrysum Hydrosols. Don't be afraid of the witch hazel. It's pure hydrosol with no alcohol added. It is nothing like the witch hazel you get in the drug store. For hydrosol based sprays for personal use in small batches, I've had luck preserving using Everclear, aka grain alcohol. I don't know if you can get it in PA but West Virginia still sells it. (No surprise there, huh?)

For acne, you can mix a drop or two of Tea Tree EO in an oz. of Jojoba. Jojoba is not really an oil but a liquid wax and is great for acne formulations. Personally, I prefer Galbanum EO (http://www.botanical.com/products/learn/eo/galbanum.html - broken link) for acne but it isn't as well know.

If you have any other questions, just ask. I'm a hobbyist, not a professional, but I've been doing this for about 5 years or so and I've picked up a lot of information.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:10 PM

Yes. Its Jason 98% aloe. I tested it by adding it to water in a empty spray bottle. It just melts. So if you want to try it...I don't know how well it preserves.

I was thinking witch hazel! But water comes out of the tap...lol

What does that Galbanum smell like? Strong like TT?

You wouldn't happen to know of an online retailer that sells little spray bottles in singles and not by the case do you?

Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 PM

I had to look around since I've never bought bottles one at a time.

I found three online sources for individual spray bottles. Oregon Trail is mostly known for some of the best fragrances in the soaping world. She's on the west coast and it sometimes takes her packages a while to get to this side of the country.

From Nature With Love has bottles sold individually, too but their prices always seem a little high to me.

Le Melange sells bottles individually but the sprayers are separate.

Since you're just looking to buy one bottle and one sprayer, the cost of shipping may be more than the item. Before you order, head to Wal-Mart and look in their cosmetic section. I've seen small spray bottles there in the section that has travel size items. That's going to be a better deal than paying for shipping on one bottle.

If you want to buy 10 bottles at a time, I have a few suppliers who do that.

Galbanum has a more herbal smell to it. Tea Tree smells more like medicine to me.

Be careful with tap water. A jug of distilled (not spring or drinking) water is not that expensive but makes a big difference in the safety of your product.

ETA: Don't know how I forgot Elements. Bottles and sprayers are sold separately but they're well priced.

Last edited by scorpy01; 01-13-2009 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: thinking of more stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty