Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 11:03 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times

Advertisements

Saw this on "antique road show" last night...

Marilyn Monroe - Some.Like.It.Hot. Dress - 250,000$
This guy brought in some photos with the dress and had the dress on a stand.
They were sharing little facts about her designer and said he actually would stitch her into the dress to make to look its best.

The dress looked so tiny to the people in person.

I just thought it was amazing how much it was worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 01:11 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
Wow, that's a lot of money for a dress!

It's not too unheard of to be sewn into a dress. I was sewn into a dress for a dance once, and again for a formal function at a military academy. It makes for a much smoother look for particular styles. And, as my mother pointed out, she had a higher degree of confidence that I would actually stay in my dress until I got home.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:22 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,106,308 times
Olivia Newton-John was sewn into the black leathers pants she wore in Grease.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 PM

291 posts, read 1,075,333 times
I think the reason the dress looked so "tiny" to people is because of the weird mythology going around as of late that Ms. Monroe was a large woman. She was not, in her prime, anywhere CLOSE to being large. In fact her dressmaker says she was 5'5" and 117. She did gain weight ocassionally- when she was preggers and when she was depressed, but anyone who seriously believes that she wore anything even remotely close to a modern size 12 should needs to have their eyes examined! Or go watch on of her films when she was at "fighting weight."

Old 01-14-2009, 12:42 PM

562 posts, read 2,403,633 times
A size 12 used to be about 36-24-361/2 back in the day.I took alot of measurements back in my career as a costume designer, and that is not very big I think she was more like a slightly taller Scarlett Johansen. I adored Miss Marilyn as a teen because none of the 80's stars had a rounded figure, so I looked to the stars of the 50,s to feel better about myself.
Telling my daughters they will look better if sewed into their prom dresses is a great idea Skaternum!I think I will try that one! I know what happened after my junior prom!

Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
I don't remember which movie it was but Marilyn had tipped the scales to a chunky form (size 14), and was filmed only in certain angles to minimize her size. And I know it's true because I saw the movie myself and did notice it despite the cameramen's efforts to hide it.

She did have a rear end, even when skinny. She and Jennifer Lopez are perhaps the only two movie stars who took pride in NOT having flat butts.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:14 AM

562 posts, read 2,403,633 times
I believe that film was Some Like It Hot. She was allegedly pregnant by Arthur Miller at the time and sadly miscarried during or shortly after filming. She was chunky but still radiant. No one can hold a candle to her today in terms of vulnerability.She radiated her pain like a falling star.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:17 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
I believe that film was Some Like It Hot. She was allegedly pregnant by Arthur Miller at the time and sadly miscarried during or shortly after filming. She was chunky but still radiant. No one can hold a candle to her today in terms of vulnerability.She radiated her pain like a falling star.
I don't think there will EVER be a "blonde bombshell" to equal Marilyn. Some tried to fill her shoes, others have tried to copy her look. (Anna Nicole-Smith tried to be another Marilyn and failed miserably, as far as I'm concerned.) She had radiant skin and a curvy but normal shape, and the white-blond hair worked for her.

Jayne Mansfield, now SHE'S the one I found borderline-ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty