Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,390 times

Advertisements

Hi,
In order to spice up my spring wardrobe of shirts and blouses I recently bought some ladies Perfect Shirts in blue and pink gingham from J. Crew. I really like them and the fabric and feel are great. They make a good alternative to all my crisp white shirts I wear for work.
My husband does not like them at all on me. He says they look too folksy and farm girlish with the rest of my clothes. Generally he loves the way I dress but these shirts bug him. What do you ladies think about these shirts. is my husband right?
Keep them or toss them
C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 12:57 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,946,430 times
You might get more responses if you post a pic. Most people aren't gonna go Googling J. Crew gingham shirt.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:22 PM

609 posts, read 1,262,115 times
pictures would be helpful...but i was bored enough to look it up. i had an idea of what itd be because i know what gingham is...and i was pretty much right. i think gingham print stuff is adorable. and gingham is pretty popular right now.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:44 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,946,430 times
I think they're cute. Gingham may have originally been a folksy, country fabric, but mixed with professional suiting pieces, it can look really put-together but in an unexpected way. If you wore it with fringed denim Daisy Duke cut-offs, or with overalls, then yes, it would look a little "hillbilly." But with professional work wear, it looks pretty fashionable and work-appropriate.

Sometimes hubby won't like everything you wear. You don't have to like everything he wears either.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:59 PM

16 posts, read 32,532 times
some men have different taste with regards in womens suits.. for me the mini-gingham is a simple dress for ladies.. suits for this summer

Old 05-24-2011, 07:01 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,772,509 times
Colibrie, you have to have at least 10 posts before you can post links. Sorry about that.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:26 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,933,719 times
My husband wouldn't like those shirts either. I used to ignore what he said about my clothes, but looking back on old photos, he was right about most of them, so now I tend to take his fashion advice.

To me, gingham is good for tableclothes and baby clothes, but if a grown woman wants to wear it, it needs to be accessorized in the right way.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:30 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,099,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibrie View Post
Hi,
In order to spice up my spring wardrobe of shirts and blouses I recently bought some ladies Perfect Shirts in blue and pink gingham from J. Crew. I really like them and the fabric and feel are great. They make a good alternative to all my crisp white shirts I wear for work.
My husband does not like them at all on me. He says they look too folksy and farm girlish with the rest of my clothes. Generally he loves the way I dress but these shirts bug him. What do you ladies think about these shirts. is my husband right?
Keep them or toss them
C.

Like Ellie Mae?

Old 05-25-2011, 12:31 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,439,841 times
LOL hmmm. I am not sure about gingham. I think the base issue is I don't know what you look like. I think blues look good on people with yellowish blond hair or dark brown skin with reddish undertones or fair, pinkish skin and chocolate brown hair.

I think pink is a color that's difficult to pull off. I think it only looks good on people whose skin has yellowish undertones or fair-skinned ash blonds. Maybe the color doesn't suit you...and it's not the shirts, per se.

But having said that, I don't think gingham is attractive, unless you go all the way and wear a smocked gingham sundress LOL. Choking... Um.. maybe you can try using extra starch so they're crisp. You may also try wearing them unbuttoned low with a chunky necklace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty