Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

With all the studies and surveys and research linking UV radiation with skin cancer risks, one might think the sun would have set on the good old-fashioned fake and bake.

But a new study by San Diego State University public health researchers has found that not only are there still plenty of indoor tanning salons in America’s big cities, in many places there are more tanning salons than Starbucks or McDonalds.

In many cities, tanning salons exceed Starbucks - Skin and beauty- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 10:03 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Well thats because the masses huddled in their city dwellings don't have back yards to get some color in! And speaking for one of the big tanning cities. We have MASSES of college kids here. I can walk to 3 major campus spots just from my place. And there are 3 tanning salons close. 2 starbucks and 5 real coffeehouses.

Coffee STILL WINS! LOL

But tons of chicks here really does on a overly deep tan. Its kinda funny because you can spot a freshmen by the lack of tan and thin size. You know they have been drinking and tanning in a few years and it shows.

I would like to see some new studies on the newer kind of bulbs they use that emit less of the "bad rays" I want it to be HEALTHY so badly. I love the way you feel after you have had just a 5 minute session.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:36 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I'll take a tan over a late any day. I don't need the calories.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:07 PM

631 posts, read 1,886,438 times
This is so crazy. When will we ever get over the tanorexic look. Its disgusting. People should not be orange!

Old 03-10-2009, 01:08 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
I'll stay pale, thank you very much My mom tanned excessively and now she is getting pre cancerous cells removed in the form of giant chunks of skin being taken out. Nooooo thank you.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,612 times
I used to tan...waaaay back in the day, but no more. Too expensive and I don't like that look anymore.

I live in the midwest and there are a lot of tanning places around me. A lot of people use them to treat seasonal affective disorder during the never ending winter. I've thought about it, but pale suits me just fine.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:30 PM

348 posts, read 1,223,018 times
I have a membership at a tanning salon but only for spray-on tans. I DO NOT use the tanning beds w/ bulbs because i am trying to avoid sun damage.

I'm not orangy but the stuff does smell weird after you have a session and can be messy on my clothes if I sweat later that day (until I shower).

It's a great alternative for me, I feel so much better with some color on my skin and it makes my teeth look whiter!

I cringe when I'm waiting for my spray-on tan and I see such young adults check-in for a 20min session under the bulbs...but I guess you live and learn eventually.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,776,265 times
Since I don't tan, just turn red, I just don't get the fascination. Sure, I went through times of being called Caspar, and my husband loves to tease me, but guess what? No skin cancer here! I look younger than I am, and always will. So I'm pale, big deal. Back in the day, having pale skin was considered attractive, and those who were tan weren't. Maybe things will change again one day. I'm not holding my breath, though.

I'll just keep glowing in the dark, haha!

Old 03-12-2009, 12:02 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,741,337 times
I still use them on occasion. But, I spend a LOT of time outdoors in the summer, it's just easier to get a little color in an atmosphere where I can control it rather than risking getting burnt outside.

I work at a university though, and the undergrad girlies are so orange!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty