Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 07:49 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,400,491 times

Advertisements

On evenings and weekends, you're most likely to see me in jeans, hoodies and overalls.

At work, I actually prefer to dress sharp even though I'm not required to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 09:22 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,065,742 times
I judge people by how they present themselves, I'll be honest. I wouldn't say I was a total snob or anything, I've never dissed or disassociated with anyone for not dressing a certain way... but how I judge them has changed.

It used to be... if someone dressed in expensive-looking, fashionable clothes I used to assume they were at least somewhat educated, sophisticated, held a good job, came from a decent family, were responsible, had a good head on their shoulders, that they weren't a druggie or chemically-dependent... etc...

But over time I've learned a few things, namely: 1) Appearances can absolutely deceive; 2) fashion has its costs.

Here's an old but still relevant article regarding cashmere, for example: The Seattle Times: Nation & World: That low-priced cashmere sweater has a hidden cost

When I used to see someone in a nice cashmere sweater... I used to assume certain things about them. Cashmere used to be expensive. It used to carry with it a sort of exclusive attitude about it. You wouldn't see poor people wearing cashmere. It wasn't something that just anybody could wear.

Now you can buy it at Old Navy for $19.99. Cheaper if you catch a sale. Why? "Made in China", that's why. And it's wreaking havoc upon our environment, but people don't care, or they are not aware, or they are just too focused on trends and being fashionably warm each fall to realize what those cheap big-box sweaters are doing to all of us.

Now when I see someone in cashmere... I assume they're either ignorant of the repercussions of the irresponsible - yet, perhaps, still fashionable - choices they make with their money, or I assume they are aware of world events and the damaging effects their consumer habits have but they simply don't care.

The cashmere thing is just one example. There are hundreds of others. I think the more you educate yourself, the more you stop going, "Oh, wow, here's a well put-together person because they are nicely dressed and look smart and present themselves well..." and start going "Wow... here's a person who is really clueless."

Don't even get me started on makeup, fake tans, fake nails, nail polish, and hair treatments... or shoes. Wow.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:02 PM

16 posts, read 75,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Well-written wall of text
I mostly see where you are coming from. My stepmom worked at Macy's when she first got to the U.S. and she said there were so many women who went in and bought almost $5,000 in designer clothing, only to return everything within the week. Rinse and repeat. These women were reasonably dressed considering they shopped at Macy's, but they obviously couldn't afford to refresh their wardrobe like that permanently, if you know what I mean (or if that made any sense).

I believe the only time a person's clothing can REALLY say something about the wearer is when you already know the person. Their clothing habits/requirements/constraints can tell you a bit about who they REALLY are if you think about how they fit into the person's lifestyle.

For instance, if said person earns about $80,000 a year and wears only new designer clothing, one can assume they're in debt. However, if you bump their earnings up to $300,000 then [to most people] it doesn't seem crazy.

On the flipside, people like me can afford middle-class nuclear family shopping habits but do not practice clothes buying in that way. I can afford to do so but I shop at Goodwill or Wal-Mart/Target clearance racks because I would like to spend that money elsewhere.

All in all, for a little
TL;DR --
I don't believe one can assume much about a person's clothing alone, unless the person is at least an acquaintance.

Hope this made sense. I'm in the process of coffee-ing it up ATM.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:15 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,074,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I judge people by how they present themselves, I'll be honest. I wouldn't say I was a total snob or anything, I've never dissed or disassociated with anyone for not dressing a certain way... but how I judge them has changed.

It used to be... if someone dressed in expensive-looking, fashionable clothes I used to assume they were at least somewhat educated, sophisticated, held a good job, came from a decent family, were responsible, had a good head on their shoulders, that they weren't a druggie or chemically-dependent... etc...

But over time I've learned a few things, namely: 1) Appearances can absolutely deceive; 2) fashion has its costs.

Here's an old but still relevant article regarding cashmere, for example: The Seattle Times: Nation & World: That low-priced cashmere sweater has a hidden cost

When I used to see someone in a nice cashmere sweater... I used to assume certain things about them. Cashmere used to be expensive. It used to carry with it a sort of exclusive attitude about it. You wouldn't see poor people wearing cashmere. It wasn't something that just anybody could wear.

Now you can buy it at Old Navy for $19.99. Cheaper if you catch a sale. Why? "Made in China", that's why. And it's wreaking havoc upon our environment, but people don't care, or they are not aware, or they are just too focused on trends and being fashionably warm each fall to realize what those cheap big-box sweaters are doing to all of us.

Now when I see someone in cashmere... I assume they're either ignorant of the repercussions of the irresponsible - yet, perhaps, still fashionable - choices they make with their money, or I assume they are aware of world events and the damaging effects their consumer habits have but they simply don't care.

The cashmere thing is just one example. There are hundreds of others. I think the more you educate yourself, the more you stop going, "Oh, wow, here's a well put-together person because they are nicely dressed and look smart and present themselves well..." and start going "Wow... here's a person who is really clueless."

Don't even get me started on makeup, fake tans, fake nails, nail polish, and hair treatments... or shoes. Wow.
A cashmere sweater for $19.99 is going to be a one-ply cashmere, not a luxury cashmere like a 4 or 5-ply that one would spend a lot of money on. I can spot the difference.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:07 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,667,890 times
My clothes say that I'm a budget-minded person who is tidy and pulled together.

They tend to be classic staples purchased at discount versus high-end, and they are clean and kept nicely. I don't spend on clothes if I don't have to, because it leaves me more money for other pursuits.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:55 AM

16 posts, read 75,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My clothes say that I'm a budget-minded person who is tidy and pulled together.

They tend to be classic staples purchased at discount versus high-end, and they are clean and kept nicely. I don't spend on clothes if I don't have to, because it leaves me more money for other pursuits.
This is my kind of person!

Ok, nothing to see here...continue

Old 11-14-2009, 05:17 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,712,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

Having a tough time decoding your 'grammar' here.
No you're not, all you have to fire back is an insult for misspelling.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:37 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,333,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
No you're not, all you have to fire back is an insult for misspelling.
Fire back? Are we at war? Gun fiight? Playing Battleship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
That's ridiculous. What clothes people wear and how they wear them say everything about you. Period.
That's not a 'spelling' error.

There were two points being discussed.

1) What a person chooses to wear makes a statement about them
2) What a person thinks about what a person chooses to wear makes a statement about them.

Since the pronoun 'you' that you used doesn't refer to anyone that you were talking about previously it is up to the reader to guess what you were trying to say.

Because I wasn't sure what you were trying to say I presented my logic so as to avoid any misunderstanding in case you were, in fact, trying to make the opposite point

[/internet bull****]

Let's try a test.

EDIT: I'm making a much better 'test' to determine if those who say they can determine accurate information about a person based upon their clothes are as full of **** as I think they are

Last edited by filihok; 11-14-2009 at 07:46 AM..

Old 11-14-2009, 06:41 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,708,435 times
I wouldn't trust a mechanic with a three piece suit or a manicure. His nails NEED to have a little grease under them.

I can respect someone who is dressed like he actually WORKS for a living.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:42 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,708,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

Let's try a test.

I've uploaded a picture of a person who is wearing clothes. Why don't you tell me everything you can about this person based upon her clothes.
She likes the color blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty