Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:34 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
If they actually made said jeans (expensive name-brand) for curvy women, I'd wear them. I have yet to find a pair I can actually pull over my hips, even in the biggest size. I admit to having large, curvy hips and thighs, but that's the way I'm built.
If you're looking for a pair, I know that Paige Premium Denim has some higher-rise jeans that are cut generously, but flatteringly, in the hips, thighs and butt. I only think the sizing goes up to 33-34 (US 16-18) so if you wear a size larger it may not work, however if you are at or below that I'd advise trying that brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 08:16 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times
Hmmm....usually spend between $100-$300 per pair of jeans, same goes for my husband and daughter. Sometimes can find Seven for Mankind on sale at Marshalls for about $100, often Trues or Rock/Republic, Skinny & Rich, David Kahn or Tory Burch jeans on sale at Nordstroms, Saks, etc. No I could care less about the brand, but they truly fit me better, I am pretty petite, and these brands flatter my body the best, and last the longest in my experiences.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:12 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
If they actually made said jeans (expensive name-brand) for curvy women, I'd wear them. I have yet to find a pair I can actually pull over my hips, even in the biggest size. I admit to having large, curvy hips and thighs, but that's the way I'm built.
Apple Bottom Jeans! Check em out.
Also I don't know if you are plus size or not. But if you are right on the border in measurements, go try out plus sized lines. They cut more room in curved out parts.

Apple Bottoms is a clothing line that caters to females of all shapes and sizes with stylish and trendy tops, jeans, dresses and jackets

They are under 100 bucks and have a lot more designs out that are a little more plain than they used to turn out.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 PM

9 posts, read 31,474 times
Spend $100-$250 for jeans, I have a few pairs of Diesel, 7FAM, AG, True Religion, Lucky. 7FAM relaxed fit and Lucky Relaxed Bootleg our my favorites and both can be had for $150 and less. Diesel makes a great high quality pair of jeans but you really have to stay in shape to make the fit work as they are a tighter fitting jean even in their "relaxed" fit models, I can deal with that though as it makes me hit the gym at least 3-4 times a week. Sounds gross but I love my Diesels because I can wear them 3 or 4 times in a row without washing them (no, im not sweating in them all day) and they still retain their original shape. 3 or 4 times in a row for me with my Diesels is about a months worth of wear for a few hours at a time. Still less maintenance. True Religions are the worst for me and I regret ever buying a pair. They are great looking but I have learned that I hate the buttons on the back pockets, just uncomfortable to sit down sometimes for long periods of time, I am always moving around when wearing them. I know they make a few models without the buttons on the back .

I also have cheaper jeans, have a few pair of AE jeans, they are not bad but they lose their shape quickly and are not as soft. I also have a few pair of Levi's that I love as well as a few pair of Express jeans.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:39 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
How old are you all?????? LOL....R&R's, Tru Religons, Seven for all Mankind are kind of played out (very played out actually), those brands are premium only in price. Designs on back pockets and a bunch of crazy different rinses are so 2004-2006 (). Its all about simple selvedge denim now. Just a nice raw cut with a nice indigo rinse in dark blue, black or grey. APC's, Nudies, Samaraui, Naked & Famous, Edwin Sewn is the new generation of premium denim. You couldnt pay me to wear some Tru's or Seven's right now. I sold all my Tru's and Seven's years ago. Im strickly a APC, Nudie wearer now
It's Earnest Sewn You should have some made in the meatpacking district in NYC...it's a blast being fitted for a pair of jeans! you'll never own another brand

Old 12-17-2009, 09:01 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Several years ago, when I worked a 9-5 job rather than having a home business, and thus had a little more expendable $$ to go around due to the guaranteed paycheck, I used to love buying premium, $100-200+ dollar jeans. Now, rarely would I spend full price on them, but still I'd easily spend $100 on a pair and think it was worthwhile. Seven For All Mankind, True Religion, Rock & Republic, you name it. I probably have over $1,000 in expensive denim.

Recently I was looking to get some new jeans, but I don't have quite as much cash at the moment to spend on them. I looked at more standard "mall" stores such as Gap, American Eagle, Old Navy and Lucky Brand. Now, the latter does have jeans in the $100+ range, but the first two hover around $40-60 a pair, on average. Amazingly, I found a pair of great dark wash straight leg jeans from American Eagle that rival any pair of my more "premium" jeans that I used to splurge on. I paid twenty bucks for them, on sale--original price being $39.99.

I don't know whether or not to feel like I've been "duped" all these years that I've spent more on jeans or what. For whatever reason, I've always thought that jeans that cost under, say, $80 were going to be poorly made and poor fitting. Since I seem to wear jeans for quite a long time, I'd always looked at it as an investment. Granted, I've noticed that some of the cheaper jeans have less detailing than some of the more expensive ones, but that's not always the case it seems.

Now, I know that you could go to department stores such as Walmart, Kohl's or Target and probably find jeans ever cheaper than that. I will say that I've tried jeans from ubercheap stores like Forever 21 and H&M, and the material felt very flimsy, IMHO.

My question to you all, is how much do you usually spend on jeans? Do you think that higher price = higher quality? Where do you usually shop for them?
I have a $250 pair I bought in 2002 that I still wear...these days, I get my Gap jeans for $5 at the Salvation Army, (brand new with the price tag & sticker tape still on). I'd rather put the $100 on a debt than my a$$ at this point in life.

No higher price does not always mean higher quality; it can mean a cut that looks better on one type of butt than another, it can mean more bedazzled jewels (that you could probably do yourself for less), it could mean I'm paying the sales persons salary when you break that $250 down because you know there's a HUGE mark-up on clothes....in the end, it's what ever you feel like blowing on jeans that make you personally look good in the mirror.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:03 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,162,457 times
I have a major jeans fetish as a dude, and I used to stick to express and lucky brand jeans but I live in downtown Chicago and EVERYONE wears designer jeans.

I really like the 7FAM A Pocket bootcuts, especially the darker pairs, I also own a really awesome pair of R&R's.

I'm more picky on what jeans women wear, it's stupid I know, but I prefer they wear tight designer jeans like 7FAM, Citizens, R&R's, but if she doesn't she has to at least look good in what she wears. I wouldn't call this a dealbreaker, but it's a HUGE bonus.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:37 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
I don't buy expensive jeans. Jeans today are designed to look dirty and worn. There's no reason to pay extra for that look.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:48 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
I've been wearing Lee straight leg jeans since the early 80s. They've proven to be the most comfortable, most durable, and reasonably priced.

I have never paid big money for "designer" jeans.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:49 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,111 times
I buy Levi's.
all those designer jeans fit like bell bottoms, skin tight around the leg then flare out.. they call it "boot cut". the straight leg are just nut huggers from top to bottom.
no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty