Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:45 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times

Advertisements

I saw something today that said that American women didn't start shaving their armpits until the 1950's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 12:19 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I find this about as creepy as males who shave both for no good reason at all.

I have a close relative who refrained from shaving both throughout all of the 1970's. She was really stinky a good portion of time. And this lady was a good looking gal.

So, are there males out there who would date a good looking woman with hairy legs or underarms, or both?
Yes i would, after i personally shave her hairy legs and underarms!

Old 12-21-2009, 12:46 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Not me. No way. For me, I like a woman who takes pride in her appearance, grooming and personal hygiene. The hairy legged and arm pit types of women are not for me. Maybe the country dudes out on the farm or in the midwest would like it, but Im a city boy who is somewhat of a metrosexual with my American Crew hair gel, 20 different colognes, occasional pedicures, get my hair cut at a salon instead of a barbershop, have to start my day with my Starbucks mocha, etc. who prides myself on my grooming and appearance would be mortified by a woman who did not.

A hairy legged, Ben Wallace in a headlock hairy under armed woman will not be sharing my company. It is not "lady like" to me at all.

Odds are that if she's so not into personal grooming and appearance, when she removes her pants to her underwear it'll probably look like she's holding a tarantula hostage in her crotch with all the long wild stray hairs poking out from all over the place. Yuck!!!
And on the flip side, I would run from you like a little kid scared from a Haunted house on Halloween. 20 different colognes....I can only imagine the time you spend in front of a mirror every morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I shave my legs and pits in the summer, but in the fall/winter when I'm wearing long sleeves and pants all the time, I don't bother. My husband doesn't care, and I find shaving a huge chore. I have thick, dark hair that has to be shaved every day or I get major stubble--not having to shave in the fall and winter is fabulous! Since no one sees it in the winter months, who cares.
Im the same way. If Im going somewhere and have to wear a dress, then off the hair goes. If its summer, off the hair goes as the tank tops/shorts make their necessary appearance.
If the rare occasion that my better half is home,or if I get to see him somehow, off it goes as well.

Otherwise, you can call me Fuzzy Wuzzy, 'cause Im not going to the trouble of taking it off if nobody else but me is going to see it. I get tired of fighting the cactus (i.e regrowth).

Old 12-21-2009, 04:03 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
All women should have as little hair as possible, thats what men want, except on the head

Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 AM

930 posts, read 2,423,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
All women should have as little hair as possible, thats what men want, except on the head
Not even remotely true. Put the bush where God intended.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:53 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Who the heck cares what men want? Its OUR body. That = our rules.
If they want as little hair as possible, Id suggest they try out shaving their legs/nether regions every day and see if they like the trouble.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:25 PM

217 posts, read 806,329 times
For Christ's sake, people....It's HAIR!!! Not a mutant fron Rura Penthe!!

As long as she is clean, it shouldn't be a big issue.
And as for the nether region, I say, bring on the George Dub!!
Shaved makes me think I'm doing the humps with a pre-pubescent! Now THAT'S GROSS!!!!!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:56 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just finished reading the book Kabul Beauty School. Found it interesting that in Afghanistan both the bride and groom are required to remove all body hair for the "consummation ceremony".

And the female had better be able to produce a bloodstained handkerchief afterward.
Strange people & weird customs.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:07 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I saw something today that said that American women didn't start shaving their armpits until the 1950's.
I found this, which is interesting...

Quote:
According to Hope, the underarm campaign began in May, 1915, in Harper's Bazaar, a magazine aimed at the upper crust. The first ad "featured a waist-up photograph of a young woman who appears to be dressed in a slip with a toga-like outfit covering one shoulder. Her arms are arched over her head revealing perfectly clear armpits. The first part of the ad read 'Summer Dress and Modern Dancing combine to make necessary the removal of objectionable hair.'"

Within three months, Cook tells us, the once-shocking term "underarm" was being used. A few ads mentioned hygiene as a motive for getting rid of hair, but most appealed strictly to the ancient yearning to be hip. "The Woman of Fashion says the underarm must be as smooth as the face," read a typical pitch.

The budding obsession with underarm hair drifted down to the proles fairly slowly, roughly matching the widening popularity of sheer and sleeveless dresses. Antiarm hair ads began appearing in middlebrow McCall's in 1917. Women's razors and depilatories didn't show up in the Sears Roebuck catalog until 1922, the same year the company began offering dresses with sheer sleeves. By then the underarm battle was largely won. Advertisers no longer felt compelled to explain the need for their products but could concentrate simply on distinguishing themselves from their competitors.

The anti-leg hair campaign was more fitful. The volume of leg ads never reached the proportions of the underarm campaign. Women were apparently more ambivalent about calling attention to the lower half of their anatomy, perhaps out of fear that doing so would give the male of the species ideas in a way that naked underarms didn't.
Besides, there wasn't much practical need for shaved legs. After rising in the 1920s, hemlines dropped in the 30s and many women were content to leave their leg hair alone. Still, some advertisers as well as an increasing number of fashion and beauty writers harped on the idea that female leg hair was a curse.
The Straight Dope: Who decided women should shave their legs and underarms?

And a thesis...
http://www.barnard.edu/history/sampl...esis%20pdf.pdf

Old 03-28-2010, 04:11 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
Quote:
Women with leg hair or pit hair?
I'm sorry but I'd prefer to have a pit bull than a girlfriend with pit hair. I noticed that someone had mentioned that women shaving their legs and underarms is actually something that's become widespread in only the last half century or so and I think that's probably accurate. I remember when I was a kid in the 50's and seeing European tourists several times who were young women who hadn't shaved their legs and I thought it seemed very unattractive. I also remember one of my Father's best friends whose wife didn't shave under her arms and on one occasion at their house I recall that she had a blouse with very short sleeves and when she lifted an arm she had long thick dark hair which was much more than a typical man would ever have and it seemed pretty gross at the time.
Of course all of this is due to social conditioning and several hundred years ago no one would have even noticed women with body hair because they all looked like yetis. But I guess that social conditioning has affected who I could be attracted to and I find it very unappealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty