Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:06 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,565,838 times

Advertisements

Diane Freis Ltd.

I REALLY need some help. This is not my dress above, but it will give you some idea of the thinness of the material and the delicacy of the dress. However, what do I do with my unattractive arms?
My dress does NOT have sleeves at all. It is sleeveless, and that is my problem.
I'm an older woman of 65 who has no desire to look dowdy or show off my arms in my great vintage dress like this one..only mine is brighter in color (red, turquoise, white) and much, much prettier than this one. And again, no sleeves.
The neck is ruffled on mine and you tie the tie at the deep v-neck as is Freis' style, which is similar to the dress posted above. This is definitely a vintage dress I own but still in style. My dress is essentially the same length, material, neckline and waist as the one above, tho, but mine is sleeveless...and therein lies the problem.

The material on these dresses are polyester or something that is very thin, chiffon/silk-looking, so I am wondering if it would look totally stupid to put a very thin silk or even a very thin cotton long sleeved or 3/4 length sleeved t-shirt type underneath in a coordinating color?
Help! This is the best thing I can come up with. I do not want to wear a shawl with it and a shrug would be stupid. Worse comes to worse, I'll buy a sweater in coordinating color for it

But what about wearing a thin t-shirt under it as I thought of above in a coordinating color???? Any opinions or ideas about this?

Last edited by TootsieWootsie; 01-04-2010 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 12:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
I can't get the link to open but I'm wondering why you're not wanting to show your arms to be honest.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:18 PM

Moonshadow, I realized the problem with the original link and it shows now. Moonshadow, I'm 65...that should answer the question for you..haha! Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle is a hint!

This link opens easily to look at.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:22 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I can't get the link to open but I'm wondering why you're not wanting to show your arms to be honest.
I'm guessing you are quite young. Older women can sometimes have upper arms that are just bad. For example, you wave goodbye and 10 min later, your upper arms are still flapping. Even if you can afford to fix this with plastic surgery, the scars are horrendous. You just trade the flapping for scars. Sigh.

It's a great dress. I would probably try the shawl. But I can never be comfortable in anything sleeveless. Just too self conscious I guess.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:33 PM

302 posts, read 607,814 times
Your dress sounds lovely.....

Here's my suggestions:
1) As you said, try to perhaps find a very thin 3/4 length blouse (preferably silk...matching colors carefully)
2) Do you know of a wonderful seamstress? They could most likely add silk & chiffon sleeves.

I believe the dress will look more "balanced" with some short of 3/4 length sleeve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Diane Freis Ltd.

I REALLY need some help. This is not my dress above, but it will give you some idea of the thinness of the material and the delicacy of the dress. However, what do I do with my unattractive arms?
My dress does NOT have sleeves at all. It is sleeveless, and that is my problem.
I'm an older woman of 65 who has no desire to look dowdy or show off my arms in my great vintage dress like this one..only mine is brighter in color (red, turquoise, white) and much, much prettier than this one. And again, no sleeves.
The neck is ruffled on mine and you tie the tie at the deep v-neck as is Freis' style, which is similar to the dress posted above. This is definitely a vintage dress I own but still in style. My dress is essentially the same length, material, neckline and waist as the one above, tho, but mine is sleeveless...and therein lies the problem.

The material on these dresses are polyester or something that is very thin, chiffon/silk-looking, so I am wondering if it would look totally stupid to put a very thin silk or even a very thin cotton long sleeved or 3/4 length sleeved t-shirt type underneath in a coordinating color?
Help! This is the best thing I can come up with. I do not want to wear a shawl with it and a shrug would be stupid. Worse comes to worse, I'll buy a sweater in coordinating color for it

But what about wearing a thin t-shirt under it as I thought of above in a coordinating color???? Any opinions or ideas about this?

Old 01-04-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Moonshadow, I realized the problem with the original link and it shows now. Moonshadow, I'm 65...that should answer the question for you..haha! Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle is a hint!

This link opens easily to look at.
Thanks Tootsie. Just checked it out and I get the idea.

And I do understand that you feel self conscious about your arms (my Mum is a perfect example of this. She's been that way as long as I can remember and she was a VERY YOUNG woman when I first became aware) it's just that if the dress looks good on you, the colour suits and you're well groomed you'll probably find the heavens won't open up and people won't point and stare if you happened to wear the dress as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I'm guessing you are quite young. Older women can sometimes have upper arms that are just bad. For example, you wave goodbye and 10 min later, your upper arms are still flapping. Even if you can afford to fix this with plastic surgery, the scars are horrendous. You just trade the flapping for scars. Sigh.

It's a great dress. I would probably try the shawl. But I can never be comfortable in anything sleeveless. Just too self conscious I guess.
I'm old enough yellowsnow and I do know what you're talking about in terms of being self conscious but I decided a long time ago to be who I am and as it turns out I have less than perfect arms but nobody seems to notice if I choose a sleeveless style that enhances my figure and shows my assets in other ways. Actually I've even been complimented wearing sleeveless styles.

I guess the thing is I find it a little sad that we women feel there are things we cannot wear or parts of our bodies we cannot show because we focus on them as being less than perfect when other people probably won't notice or couldn't give two hoots anyway. It's not really about exposing your perceived flaws and more about being confident and comfortable no matter what you wear.

Anyway, it's a lovely dress and if you'd feel more comfortable covering up then I'd be looking for something floaty and unstructured in a complimentary colour.

Like this (Hope this link works) but not this colour, obviously.

Apricot silk print devore shrug - Chesca (http://online.chescadirect.co.uk/products/76-apricot-silk-print-devore-shrug - broken link)

Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
How about a pretty embellished cardigan in a matching or neutral color? By the way...I love the dress' style, seems like to would be very flattering to many body types.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:18 PM

I think it's great if like Moonshadow you want to be who you are. But I don't want to be who I am. I want to be 26. And a size 6. Asking for too much?

I'm almost thinking that a nice lightweight buttoned sweater cardigan would be my best choice for this dress. Sound about right?

Myself, I like this style of dress--especially if you live in warmer climates. Light, breezy and very pretty.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:40 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,319,731 times
I think the cardigan is the way to go. You could go with a Pashmina. But probably the cardigan would be more comfortable.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I think it's great if like Moonshadow you want to be who you are. But I don't want to be who I am. I want to be 26. And a size 6. Asking for too much?

I'm almost thinking that a nice lightweight buttoned sweater cardigan would be my best choice for this dress. Sound about right?

Myself, I like this style of dress--especially if you live in warmer climates. Light, breezy and very pretty.
LOL! Nah not asking for too much Tootsie.

A cardigan would be nice and very elegant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty