Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:31 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,098,022 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's different there, but in Oz alot of guys seem like they dress really casually/don't take much effort compared to women. In past eras this hasn't been the case, with men taking as much effort as women. But it seems for the past decade or more they've been wearing t-shirts, oversized 'shorts', jeans and not much else. Polo shirts are considered 'dressing up.' Excluding that percentage who are fashionable. Why is this the case? Has male attractiveness kind of been devalued? Is it kind of taboo for men to show off their body as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 08:48 AM

27,360 posts, read 27,411,236 times
I think it depends on what he likes to wear or has to wear for work. Most people dont bother to dress to impress these days and personally, I like a pair of loose fitting jeans and a flannel shirt partially buttoned, instead of a golf shirt and slacks anyday!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:16 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,772,155 times
It's a degeneration of civility and civilization too.

I worked all my life in jeans and work shirts, now that I'm retired I like wearing nice clothes.

What really kills me is guys wearing those moronic ballcaps when indoors, even when sitting eating in a restuarant; I mean nice restuarants too. And white collar guys are just as idiotic as blue collar guys when it comes to this; it's just that white collar ballcaps are subtly styled differently than blue collar ones so as to tell the world "I'm a white collar moron, not a blue collar one".

Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,202,733 times
I would disagree with some of your post, I've noticed men usually don't put in as much effort because 1) it isn't really necessary; and
2) a lot of women won't dress up either.

Many jobs nowadays don't require people to dress up like they used to- not as many office jobs anymore. In addition, it may be a generational thing. People who are in their 30s now probably never really "dressed up" in part of their daily routine (job-dependent). People in their late teens and their 20s (the college/young adult crowd, pretty much) dress for comfort. No need for men/women to wear slacks, or button-up skirts, or anything like that. Sure, I wear the clothes that you've posted, but I wear them because I like to be comfortable.

"Style" for people and even for certain age groups has changed a lot in the past 20 years, a lot more than it changed in the previous 20 years before that (at least, that's what I believe..) slacks, button-up shirts, button-up skirts, jackets, etc. are mostly viewed as work clothes now, and not everyone wants to wear them all the time

Hope I answered your question, at least partially.. people dress for comfort. Most people I know only dress to impress when they're trying to pick up a date, going to church, or on a job interview (or in uniformed service of sorts)

I'm 20. btw.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:21 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,684,019 times
I've never seen a white collar ballcap...

Now, an "English driving hat", that's another story.

I don't see a reason to "dress up". I think of it as false advertising. I wear whatever uniform my job requires me to wear. For example, you don't wear a $50 shirt when you're mixing paint or working stock. But I can't go do taxes in jeans and a T-shirt, not even one with the company's name emblazoned on the front :-(

Old 04-07-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've never seen a white collar ballcap...

They have a lower crown and a longer bill and the adjustment strap will have a little buckle rather than studs and holes.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:20 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,664,609 times
Dress clothes are not as comfortable as casual clothes. A white button down shirt with a tie, tucked into dress slacks is no where near as comfortable as my Levi's and T-shirt (whatever color), that is really a no brainer.
What's the difference of wearing a hat inside or outside, It is no big deal.

Men that have to get dressed for work, absolutely do not want to be dressed up for anything else, it is just more comfortable to be casual.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,664,609 times
For example, you don't wear a $50 shirt when you're mixing paint or working stock. But I can't go do taxes in jeans and a T-shirt, not even one with the company's name emblazoned on the front :-(

That is so true. Who started all this dress up crap anyway????? Man really makes things hard for himself, if only we could be back in time and change a few things, well maybe a lot of things......Being in an office for 8 hours a day, it would really be nice to sit at a desk with sweats and a T-shirt to be comfy.... but noooooooooo heaven forbid, we must look nice so other people can judge us....

Old 04-07-2010, 01:31 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,684,019 times
A monkey in a tux is still a monkey.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
A monkey in a tux is still a monkey.

Been watching Elia Kazan pictures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty