Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:16 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,100,550 times

Advertisements

Going to get a mani/pedi/wax with my SO is NOT something I would want to do, thats a girlfriend kind of thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 05:29 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,732,305 times
The whole "mani" and "pedi" abbreviation is where I have to draw the line. Out of curiosity, are you guys one of those husband/wife real estate agent duos? You know the ones, always pictured wearing cute little matching outfits.

As far as the manicures and pedicures, I'm not a fan. The last thing I want is to sit in a chair and let someone pick at my already nice feet and hands with tools that were "hopefully" cleaned well after the technician chiseled fungus and goo off of some nasty old battle axe's rancid hoof. I'd much prefer to maintain my own extremities.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:56 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,169,489 times
Awwwwwwww, that's so cute you do that together. What a good hubby you are

Old 06-12-2010, 03:21 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,014,397 times
Back in the day, a man sat in his barber's chair and while he was getting a shave someone manicured his nails.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,755,098 times
We would never have opted for this ourselves (we're both very, very low-maintenance), but we received a gift trip to an upscale resort/hotel in Las Vegas, and among the things we were treated to was a 90-minute "couples' massage/spa treatment package" in one of the hotel' complex's ridiculously bacchanal spas. I was game for it as a novelty (I'd managed to live thirty years as a female without once having set foot in a spa), but was sure my BF, who is decidedly NOT the picture of frou frou metrosexuality, and beyond that, is something of a touch-me-not, would in no way go along with it. He did, though, to avoid offending the gift-giver, which really surprised me, so not into those sorts of things is he. He won't even go to a Sport Clips type franchise hair salon, will only get his hair cut at for-real barber shops, where they do hot towels, straight razor shaves, and slap Bay Rum on your face (mmmmm, Bay Rum) where the places are run by old guys named Gene who smell of Ben-Gay and he's the youngest client by 50 years.

In the end, we found it be a really GREAT bonding experience, and pretty hot, although it will likely be a long time before we revisit something of that nature again, because that's just not what we spend our money on. But it was a neat experience to have, and I can see both why people do it, and why guys who think they won't like that kind of **** end up secretly or not-so-secretly liking it.

However, I know he'd draw the line at pedicures, because he has runners' feet, self-described nasty, callus-encrusted, perpetually blistered, hardened hooves of feet, (I personally think they're fine) and is self-conscious about them, and NOBODY gets clearance to touch them. Even when we did the massage thing, that was the one area he told the massage therapist was hands-off.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:55 PM

20,387 posts, read 20,014,511 times
That's one thing my wife and I will NOT be doing together. Ever.

Actually, we don't go clothes shopping together either.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:08 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,985,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
That's one thing my wife and I will NOT be doing together. Ever.

Actually, we don't go clothes shopping together either.
I'm with you.

As a guy, I wouldn't call them a 'mani' or a 'pedi' either. That's like telling your dude buddy that he looks 'fab.' It's likely to garner you a punch in the nose.

Personally, I don't have the slightest interest in getting either a manicure or a pedicure, ever. I cut my nails short and that's more than good enough for me.

And I find shopping with a woman to be torture, especially for clothes. Men and women have a completely different, and totally incompatible, shopping style.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:03 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,792,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
The whole "mani" and "pedi" abbreviation is where I have to draw the line. Out of curiosity, are you guys one of those husband/wife real estate agent duos? You know the ones, always pictured wearing cute little matching outfits.

As far as the manicures and pedicures, I'm not a fan. The last thing I want is to sit in a chair and let someone pick at my already nice feet and hands with tools that were "hopefully" cleaned well after the technician chiseled fungus and goo off of some nasty old battle axe's rancid hoof. I'd much prefer to maintain my own extremities.

No we are not one of those couples. In fact out of the five years that we have beeen married we have only physically been together for about a year. That is because we both travel alot and don't get to see each other that much. We use this as a bonding tool. Just like me and my guy friends get together for football and drink beer, my wife and I do this. I think you are being a little too picky on the whole idea. If it's not for you, good, it is for us though. In fact we are getting ours done tomorrow

Old 08-20-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I'm with you.

As a guy, I wouldn't call them a 'mani' or a 'pedi' either. That's like telling your dude buddy that he looks 'fab.' It's likely to garner you a punch in the nose.

Personally, I don't have the slightest interest in getting either a manicure or a pedicure, ever. I cut my nails short and that's more than good enough for me.

And I find shopping with a woman to be torture, especially for clothes. Men and women have a completely different, and totally incompatible, shopping style.

I will remember that when my next boxing match is up. I think I will call myself, the maniator just for you

Old 08-20-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
Back in the day, a man sat in his barber's chair and while he was getting a shave someone manicured his nails.

Yep, I do that too(minus the nails). I go to an "Old Time" barber that uses a straight razor on my sides and the back of my head. Love the exp....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty