Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 03:14 PM

34 posts, read 133,767 times

Advertisements

I read the following on the Northwest News website:

:Authorities Identify Area Gangs | NWAonline

What about Bentonville gangs...I read it is so family-friendly there. What is with these gangs taking over our cities and towns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 05:34 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,743 times
It aint so.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
It aint so.
unfortunately it is very much true. It isn't as bad as some may think but there are gang members. many from Ca in both Rogers and Sprindale for starters. Now, the good news, if there is a positve side: this isn't something that is only in NWA, it is almost anywhere in the country. The biggest problem we have here is denial and I don't mean the river in Egypt.

Nita

Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Pam View Post
I read the following on the Northwest News website:

:Authorities Identify Area Gangs | NWAonline

What about Bentonville gangs...I read it is so family-friendly there. What is with these gangs taking over our cities and towns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gangs aren't taking over anything in Northwest Arkansas. With the large influx of people from all over the country, and the fact that Northwest Arkansas is located on a north-south route that extends from Mexico to Minnesota, it would be naive to think that there was no gang presence in Northwest Arkansas. Where there is a gang presence there is a problem. However, there is virtually no impact on the average Northwest Arkansas resident's day to day life due to gangs. Gang activity is not in-your-face here, as it is in more urban environments. If someone is involved in criminal activities, they may have more interaction with gangs. The police, obviously have a lot of interaction with the criminal elements in the area, and are more aware of the existing problems with gangs, as well as being concerned about the potential problems as Northwest Arkansas becomes more urbanized. While the article is critical of the old chief, I think the police forces throughout Northwest Arkansas have been and continue to be very proactive about identifying gangs and addressing gang problems.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Gangs aren't taking over anything in Northwest Arkansas. With the large influx of people from all over the country, and the fact that Northwest Arkansas is located on a north-south route that extends from Mexico to Minnesota, it would be naive to think that there was no gang presence in Northwest Arkansas. Where there is a gang presence there is a problem. However, there is virtually no impact on the average Northwest Arkansas resident's day to day life due to gangs. Gang activity is not in-your-face here, as it is in more urban environments. If someone is involved in criminal activities, they may have more interaction with gangs. The police, obviously have a lot of interaction with the criminal elements in the area, and are more aware of the existing problems with gangs, as well as being concerned about the potential problems as Northwest Arkansas becomes more urbanized. While the article is critical of the old chief, I think the police forces throughout Northwest Arkansas have been and continue to be very proactive about identifying gangs and addressing gang problems.
DC, you are pretty much on with your views. I am fairly close to a young man (young to me anyway) who was with the county Sheriffs dept for many years. I have heard him speak more than once on the subject. We do need to not put our heads in the sand and think gangs are not a problem, but at this time, it is more a problem within their own group, surrounding gangs and certain neighborhoods. It is not like what is seen in Albuquerque, Los Angeles, the central valleys in Ca etc.

Nita

Old 04-07-2011, 02:42 PM

So it appears that gangs are a fact of life pretty much anywhere especially the "urban" areas. Yippee! But is Rogers considered urban? What is the population there? I see no mention of Bentonville so I am assuming that it is not affected by gangs and gang-related problems? My research indicates that it is (for the most part) a family-oriented, Christian, Conservative town that also prohibits the sale of packaged liquor. Please anyone...fill me in on this matter regarding Bentonville. Thanks

Old 04-07-2011, 03:26 PM

529 posts, read 1,650,280 times
Quote:
So it appears that gangs are a fact of life pretty much anywhere especially the "urban" areas. Yippee! But is Rogers considered urban? What is the population there? I see no mention of Bentonville so I am assuming that it is not affected by gangs and gang-related problems? My research indicates that it is (for the most part) a family-oriented, Christian, Conservative town that also prohibits the sale of packaged liquor. Please anyone...fill me in on this matter regarding Bentonville. Thanks
Rogers and Bentonville are pretty much one town. Unless you were familiar with the area you would not know where one stops and one begins. Total population of the towns is around 80,000 which doesn't include everything else around.

As DC mentioned there are no "gang" problems in NWA. The average person living here has never seen anything remotely close to anything gang related. There is an influx of latinos from everywhere and some just refuse to leave their "gang" past behind and unfortunately bring some of it with them to Arkansas. It's good that the police are being proactive about it but living here you will get slapped in the face by a low flying bird before you ever have any encounter with a gang member.

What was wrong with the other thread about gangs. This isn't really deserving of a new thread.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/arkan...etteville.html

Old 04-07-2011, 04:17 PM

Gee..sorry...'bagelw' ...didn't see the other thread about Fayetteville.. as I am interested in BENTONVILLE and Fayetteville appears to be oh..about 25 miles south of the much smaller town of Bentonville. Also, I just happened to see the news article in that moment and quickly went to this site with my inquiry. Chill....

Old 04-07-2011, 04:31 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
Rogers and Bentonville are pretty much one town. Unless you were familiar with the area you would not know where one stops and one begins. Total population of the towns is around 80,000 which doesn't include everything else around.

As DC mentioned there are no "gang" problems in NWA. The average person living here has never seen anything remotely close to anything gang related. It's good that the police are being proactive about it but living here you will get slapped in the face by a low flying bird before you ever have any encounter with a gang member.
Quote:
Gee..sorry...'bagelw' ...didn't see the other thread about Fayetteville.. as I am interested in BENTONVILLE and Fayetteville appears to be oh..about 25 miles south of the much smaller town of Bentonville. Also, I just happened to see the news article in that moment and quickly went to this site with my inquiry. Chill....
Actually, bagel made some excellent points. When you post on an anonymous internet forum, you're going to receive some information you want and some you don't want. No need to get testy about it. Just ignore what you disagree with and move on.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:51 AM

529 posts, read 1,650,280 times
Quote:
Bentonville and Fayetteville are part of the same metro. What happens in Fayetteville affects Bentonville and vice versa.

Moderator cut: personal

Last edited by Kimballette; 04-08-2011 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: personal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers