Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,858 times

Advertisements

My husband, our almost 2 year old daughter and I are planning a 4 month stay in Fayetteville, AR. We are probably as European as they come and have absolutly no idea what we are stepping into. Might someone out there be able to help us answer a few questions?!

- short term rentals - as in a 4 month lease - is that even an option? Any good tips on where we should look? And what should we expect to pay a month?
- any neighbourhoods that we should look out for? Anything you can recommend?
- we will probably be able to borrow a car while there. How much should we expect to pay a month (insurance, gas, etc.)? Where we come from we only do bikes
- daycare - how does one sign up for that?
- anything else we should know or consider?

I think that's it for now. I hope, that someone can help us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 04:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaaawilliams View Post
My husband, our almost 2 year old daughter and I are planning a 4 month stay in Fayetteville, AR. We are probably as European as they come and have absolutly no idea what we are stepping into. Might someone out there be able to help us answer a few questions?!

- short term rentals - as in a 4 month lease - is that even an option? Any good tips on where we should look? And what should we expect to pay a month?
- any neighbourhoods that we should look out for? Anything you can recommend?
- we will probably be able to borrow a car while there. How much should we expect to pay a month (insurance, gas, etc.)? Where we come from we only do bikes
- daycare - how does one sign up for that?
- anything else we should know or consider?

I think that's it for now. I hope, that someone can help us!
I can just help with a few issues, others will be of more help I am sure. You say you are as European as they come: what does that mean? As for rental costs, do you have a budget in mind? I am sure there are apartments that will rent of short term basis, but you might want to look into the long term temp housing apartment that are more like glorified hotels. They have a bedroom, living area with a pull out sleeping arrangement and usually a full kitchen. They are referred to as extended stay facilities.

Childcare will depend on where you are living. Some have long waiting lists, some are always available. Are you going to be near the university?

Normally borrowing a car and getting insurance on it might be a problem, but I am sure others will be able to help you with that one. Gas, right now is about $3.65 in the Fayetteeville area I think. you can use your bikes a lot as well, but you will still need and want a car.

It sounds like you will be happiest living somewhere near the university.

Good luck and enjoy your short stay with us.

Nita

Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,527 times
Without a car, you'll definitely want to concentrate your rental search within this area--south of North St; West of Sang St (Sang St. to Razorback Road is home to a lot of professors at the UofA); East of Mission St (throw in some streets east of Mission so you'll be looking on Mt. Sequoyah); the southern boundary would be the MLK Blvd (formerly 6th St).

Concentrate on the areas around Wilson Park and around the Fayetteville Square. From April-Oct Farmers' Market is held on the Square on Tues, Thurs, and Saturdays.

Re: 4 month lease--Going to be difficult depending on what months you're interested in. What months? I may have a lead or two.

Re: borrowing a car--Typically if you borrow from a friend the insurance is covered by the owner of the car; gas is currently ~$3.65-$3.75/gal.

Re: Daycare--The University runs a day care for students and those affiliated with the UofA. Considering you will be here just a short time, you might consider hiring a high school or college student to "baby-sit"...What do you know? I've got leads on those too

Old 03-09-2012, 07:27 AM

730 posts, read 2,254,808 times
It may be a bit of a challange getting such a short lease, but not impossible. Rates on rentals vary greatly. A had a nice 2 bedroom apartment for $575 and have rented single family homes ranging from 750-900 a month.

You will need a car. Frankly I cannot imaging living here without one. If you do choose to walk you will most likely want to live,work, and do everything in the university area.

There a several options for quality daycares around here. I would visit them 1st then get on their wait lists. Some of them may have opening right away. I know my daughter's daycare has had lower enrollment lately with the slow economy. Daycare for a child that age will fall in the 650-800 $ per month range. We pay 750.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers