Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 02:34 PM

731 posts, read 1,371,484 times

Advertisements

Walmart will have 36% more employees over next 5 years. This article claims Walmart will adjust its model.

How much do you think the population of Bentonville-Rogers-Bella Vista (NW Arkansas) will increase by 2015?

Will Bentonville become like Washington, DC?

Wal-Mart to Increase Headcount 36% to 3 Million in Five Years - Bloomberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 02:37 PM

32 posts, read 105,071 times

Old 10-01-2010, 04:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,994,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
Walmart will have 36% more employees over next 5 years. This article claims Walmart will adjust its model.

How much do you think the population of Bentonville-Rogers-Bella Vista (NW Arkansas) will increase by 2015?

No, it won't become D.C. certainly that is years away, if ever, but of course the entire area is going to continue to grow. I am all for some growth, without it the area would dry up and die, but let's hope it isn't too much.

I know many people really hate Wal-Mart, they say the company is responsible for the loss of many "mom and pop" businesses. This is true and very sad, but the other side of the coin: they have put millions of people to work and a large number of those people have benefits mom and pop could not offer them. It might seem like a no win situation, but it is not all bad.

Nita

Old 10-01-2010, 04:32 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,175,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post

Well, the article specifies the jobs will not be in the U.S. -->
New employees will be hired “mostly” outside the U.S., Susan Chambers, executive vice president for human resources, said in a speech at a conference in New Delhi today. “The opportunity for growth is not just in India but global,” she said, without providing more details on the hiring plans.
I believe NW Arkansas will continue to grow in the future, but these particular jobs will not be in Arkansas.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:38 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,063,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

I know many people really hate Wal-Mart, they say the company is responsible for the loss of many "mom and pop" businesses. This is true and very sad, but the other side of the coin: they have put millions of people to work and a large number of those people have benefits mom and pop could not offer them. It might seem like a no win situation, but it is not all bad.

Nita
The mom & pop stores are quite expensive. Ill stick with wally mart.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:39 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,261,406 times
Wal-Mart has created thousands of jobs....in China!

Old 10-01-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Well, the article specifies the jobs will not be in the U.S. -->
New employees will be hired “mostly” outside the U.S., Susan Chambers, executive vice president for human resources, said in a speech at a conference in New Delhi today. “The opportunity for growth is not just in India but global,” she said, without providing more details on the hiring plans.
I believe NW Arkansas will continue to grow in the future, but these particular jobs will not be in Arkansas.
that is true, the jobs will be throughout the world as new Wal-Marts are opened.

Nita

Old 10-01-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The mom & pop stores are quite expensive. Ill stick with wally mart.
I know and that is the problem, especially in our present economy. I am not a huge Wal-Mart lover. I do not care for most of the produce and actually think it is over-priced. We have smaller stores here that are less expensive, but for staples you can't beat them and Sams. I think we would all like to support the local mom and pops, but the $$ just won't always allow it.

When you think of all the Wal-Marts across the country and the number of employees they hire plus their warehouses I am sure most realize how they have helped our employment situation. Can you imagine what the unemployment would be like if we didn't have Wal-mart? Again, I am not a huge supporter, but I do see the benefit of having them.

Nita

Old 10-02-2010, 09:04 AM

731 posts, read 1,371,484 times
At some point the Chinese will have to spend those American dollars directly in America. I wouldn't be surprised if China buys up the Las Vegas strip, or maybe Ground Zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Wal-Mart has created thousands of jobs....in China!

Old 10-02-2010, 09:01 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,374,516 times
you window lickers can continue to shop at wal-mart.

there's a reasons its cheap. its junk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers