Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Kathy,

I can't argue with you on some of your thoughts, but can on the taxes. Of course there is a state income tax, but what about the property tax? When we lived in Lewisville, Tx, our home value was around $130.00, we had a zero lot line and just the basic house. Our taxes were 2400 per year; our daughter lives in a relatively upscale neighborhood near Lewisville, but certainly not that expensive: taxes around $6000 or a little more. That's a whole lot of state income tax......No matter where you live the taxes are going to get you.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 03:31 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynmham View Post
Hi Lisa:
My husband worked as a Director of a Manufacturing Company in Fayetteville and he was continually frustrated by the city and how impossible it was to move forward on an expansion project they were trying to do.
Fayetteville's mindset is that manufacturing is a low priority compared to knowledge based industry. I think it's a good mindset for that city in particular. Yes they will balk at a LOT of stuff but that's why it's on a very short list of cities in Arkansas in which I'd live (BTW there are more smaller towns on my list than "cities" but I guess the demographics would tend to skew towards that anyway, lol) You can definitely get the best of both by locating your business in one of the bedroom communities where you'll get that good welcome and living in Fayetteville. Broken Arrow or Wichita??? Fayetteville has those beat in BIG TIME!!!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:06 PM

154 posts, read 679,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
We build mausoleums, mainly work with metal and stone, no hazardous processes, evolving into line work. We need a large warehouse, 3 phase power. We've always trained unskilled labor, look for aptitude, attitude and longevity. Even with good wages, that's hard to find in Austin - not sure exactly why. We're looking for a community that values residence and commerce equally. What we offer in return is a stable and growing source of employment and tax contribution.
Mausoleums - wow, that's a unique business ... and based on your description and needs I believe Fayetteville would make a good home for your business.

South Fayetteville has a mix of industrial / commercial real estate and may be an area you would want to look at. As far as labor in the area - NWA has recently experienced a large drop in residential and commercial construction so I would think skilled labor in woodwork, metal and masonary would be available and reliable.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:15 PM

673 posts, read 2,717,254 times
It helps to have the comparison with Austin - which seems to have the view than manufacturing businesses are less valuable to the economy (not true) and aim to pollute (also not true). We'd consider moving to a community outside Austin but aren't finding that "country" feel. For one, the nature is missing. And many of the towns feel like extensions of Austin (i.e. not true communities). So I think posters have given us good guidance to explore towns around Fayetteville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers