Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 01:42 AM

73 posts, read 126,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
really? That's identical to your 47 posts in 3 years. You gave this poster one "insightful" paragraph. .. Let's be fair.
don"t feed the troll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 05:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiamomabc View Post
Our first choice is to stay in California. My husband has had recruiters approach him about coming to Bentonville a few times so I have been researching things just in case. It is tempting because of the houses! What I am seeing in Bentonville between $400,000 - 500,000 would be $2,000,000+ in California so that will never happen unless we win the lottery! There are $1,200,000 fixer uppers where we live that get multiple offers which goes into a bidding war which is crazy!! Right now, my husband has a company talking to him in California too. I have lived in California, in the same area, for most of my life and am surrounded by family in friends so picking up and moving would be hard! Our kids do not want to move even though we can easily have a house more than twice the size of what we have here, we can get a dog because we would have a big yard, etc. I have messaged privately with a few people after responses to my questions got off topic. As nmnita said, things are on hold right now but if the current job prospect does not work out, I might be back to researching Bentonville.
Good luck with your plans regardless of where they lead you. If you haven't already and I am sure you have, PM norcalgirl. She will be able to fill you in better than any of us. As has been mentioned to you, she was in a similar situation about a year ago. BTW, I am not sure the screen name nocalgirl is completely right but I think you know who I am referring to anyway.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:32 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,245,614 times
it's hard for lots of folks to give up that support network of established family and friends. No doubt about that.

However, in the end, those friends and family can be shackles that prevent you from making an effective decision. If you decide to move, they'll say stuff like "of all the beautiful places you could go, why go to Arkansas?"

Let your wallet make the decision and the friends and family will work themselves out.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:41 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
National Merit Semi-Finalists have been named. As usual, Bentonville, Fayetteville and Little Rock. I may have miscounted, but it looks like Bentonville High is only second to Central High in the number of semi-finalists.

?ttp://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/sep/09/142-in-state-on-national-merit-finalist/?f=news-arkansas

Old 09-15-2015, 05:29 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofsnow67 View Post
The confederate flag represents a war that was in support of slavery. A poll that we found stated that 75% of whites in the south felt that it was a symbol of pride, while 75% of blacks in the south felt it symbolized racism. We celebrate cultural differences and celebrations -- Kwanzaa, St. Patricks Day, Hanukkah, and Dia de Los Muertos, et al -- it's absurd to compare that with the confederate flag.
Link a poll. While I wait, here's a link you might be interested in about your hometown:

Chicago Is The Most Segregated City In America: Analysis « CBS Chicago

Chicago is a very racist place, by all indications. I have just posted a study and an article to prove it.

You tell yourself you chose to live outside of Chicago for the "good schools". Chicago is more segregated than most large southern metro areas. So are most midwestern cities.

Add "I've seen people with confederate flags" to your list of reasons why you wish to go back to your former home, the most segregated metro in the nation. Maybe the hubs will get tired of listening to you complain and give in.

I know we're all tired of it here.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
National Merit Semi-Finalists have been named. As usual, Bentonville, Fayetteville and Little Rock. I may have miscounted, but it looks like Bentonville High is only second to Central High in the number of semi-finalists.

?ttp://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/sep/09/142-in-state-on-national-merit-finalist/?f=news-arkansas
Actually I think there have been a few in the past year or so from Huntsville as well. This is amazing when you think of really how small our region is.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Link a poll. While I wait, here's a link you might be interested in about your hometown:

Chicago is a very racist place, by all indications. I have just posted a study and an article to prove it.

You tell yourself you chose to live outside of Chicago for the "good schools". Chicago is more segregated than most large southern metro areas. So are most midwestern cities.

Add "I've seen people with confederate flags" to your list of reasons why you wish to go back to your former home, the most segregated metro in the nation. Maybe the hubs will get tired of listening to you complain and give in.

I thought everyone in Arkansas was a Christian, but you proved me wrong.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:17 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post

She said she couldn't afford private schools and then puts down public schools.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofsnow67 View Post
I thought everyone in Arkansas was a Christian, but you proved me wrong.
what does that post have to do with being a Christian and what makes you think all in AR are Christians? Here in NWA we have a lot of Muslims as well as Jews for starters. I am sure there are many people of other faiths and many who are Atheiests or Agnostics. This doesn't make a person good or bad as long as they do not push their beliefs down the throats of everyone around them.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
what does that post have to do with being a Christian and what makes you think all in AR are Christians? Here in NWA we have a lot of Muslims as well as Jews for starters. I am sure there are many people of other faiths and many who are Atheiests or Agnostics. This doesn't make a person good or bad as long as they do not push their beliefs down the throats of everyone around them.
Get off of your soapbox nmnita! My response had less to do with religion in NWA and more to do with the vile post Rockclimber sent.

greenflute -- I NEVER put down public schools! You manipulate and twist what I'm trying to say to serve your own agenda. In a very nasty way (I will try not to take it personally since I have since you do it to others)

rockclimber -- you do realize that this was never intended to be a post about racism, right? I cited the waving of the confederate flag in a list of things that spoke toward some of the things I don't care for in NWA. To another poster. Not to you. Residential segregation that your poll speaks of is very common in cities that also score high in diversity (thats a good thing in my opinion). It is not the same type of segregation that was practiced in the South before the civil war. I believe residential segregation has more to do with self selection and socio economics -- any race can live anywhere (as long as they can afford it - which i think is probably the bigger issue). I know there is a large hispanic population in NWA, and If a map exists showing a racial breakdown, I would not be surprised if we saw similar residential segregation. Chicago also has Chinatown (asian), Pilsen (hispanic), Little Italy, and the largest polish population ouside of Warsaw -- all residing in segregated communities -- I wouldn't classify it as "racism". (We all drink from the same water fountains, attend the same schools, sit wherever we want on the bus, vote, etc.).

DC -- Bentonville had 14 national merit finalists -- the school our son used to attend had 38 this year (the schools are the same size -- I checked). My son was doing so poorly at his school when we left. We showed up in Bentonville and enrolled our kids a month before final exams. School said as a new student he would not have to take exams -- he took them anyway and he aced every one of them. (on the plus side -- it bumped up his GPA!). I never said the schools here suck! I never said I hate public schools. I never even said I don't like NWA! I am trying to provide some balance to people who are relocating from a state that might have a stronger public school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers