Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 09:55 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,445,611 times

Advertisements

So on our latest visit to Arkansas we decided to drive from Hot Springs up to Fayetteville, and once again were delighted by the absolutely beautiful scenery that every mile revealed.

Just as we had no idea how wonderful the Hot Springs area was before we first laid eyes on it, we were absolutely amazed in particular with the drive up I-49 to Fayetteville. It may have been the most beautiful stretch of interstate I've ever navigated, and I've driven probably half of them across the country. The Boston Mountains reminded us both of West Virginia, with all the gorges and bridges traversing them. I never imagined in my wildest dreams that Arkansas held this kind of natural splendor. And this was in December with all the leaves down, I can only imagine what it's like when things are green.

We had lunch in Fayetteville and then came back down to I-40 by way of hwy. 23. Oh my word, just spectacular! I want a house and a couple acres somewhere in a setting like that so badly!

We had begun discussing the possibility of moving to Hot Springs, and received quite a few suggestions to consider NWA as well, which I initially scoffed at........but after actually seeing it I am now completely open to NWA in correlation with our future. It looked every bit as beautiful, and I know there are more job opportunities there. We are planning to return to NWA ASAP to take a look at the entire I-49 corridor from Fayetteville up to Missouri.

Apologies to the locals. We know your secret, and we want in!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 10:58 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
You need to drive old 71 from Alma to Fayetteville. Now that is a beautiful drive, especially in the fall.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:54 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Yep, NWA is much prettier, IMO, than the Hot Springs area, though it has its charms also. And yes, spring and fall are both pretty magical in Arkansas...even in HS!

I also enjoyed the I49 drive, as well as the old 71 drive that jim9251 mentioned. Next time, drive down into Devil's Den State Park. It's not far off the interstate. Or Lake Ft. Smith State Park. Or both!

Old 12-16-2015, 12:20 PM

We took 7 from Hot Springs up to Russellville. We hadn't been north of Hollis on 7 previously, and wow, the best part of that drive was definitely Hollis all the way into Russellville! Even I-40 from Russellville to Alma was very pretty, even with the cooling tower from the Ark. One plant on Lake Dardanelle.

But 49 was the best, and I can't wait to do that 71 drive as well. So much still to be explored! What is the terrain like west of Fayetteville over to the OK border?

Old 12-16-2015, 01:24 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,054 times
SHHHHHH....

Tried to tell ya.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
SHHHHHH....

Tried to tell ya.

Well, you succeeded in piquing my interest, so thank you!

Old 12-17-2015, 05:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
So on our latest visit to Arkansas we decided to drive from Hot Springs up to Fayetteville, and once again were delighted by the absolutely beautiful scenery that every mile revealed.

Just as we had no idea how wonderful the Hot Springs area was before we first laid eyes on it, we were absolutely amazed in particular with the drive up I-49 to Fayetteville. It may have been the most beautiful stretch of interstate I've ever navigated, and I've driven probably half of them across the country. The Boston Mountains reminded us both of West Virginia, with all the gorges and bridges traversing them. I never imagined in my wildest dreams that Arkansas held this kind of natural splendor. And this was in December with all the leaves down, I can only imagine what it's like when things are green.

We had lunch in Fayetteville and then came back down to I-40 by way of hwy. 23. Oh my word, just spectacular! I want a house and a couple acres somewhere in a setting like that so badly!

We had begun discussing the possibility of moving to Hot Springs, and received quite a few suggestions to consider NWA as well, which I initially scoffed at........but after actually seeing it I am now completely open to NWA in correlation with our future. It looked every bit as beautiful, and I know there are more job opportunities there. We are planning to return to NWA ASAP to take a look at the entire I-49 corridor from Fayetteville up to Missouri.

Apologies to the locals. We know your secret, and we want in!
My feelings and they are biased because we live here, but it is for me to believe anyone could live in NWA and not love it. Our first trip was, probably 20 years ago when we were still in the Dallas area. It was love at first sight for me, but not hubby. He said he would never live in AR. Of course that was a stupid political statement on his part. Well about 9 years ago we got serious about relocating and our granddaughter was a senior at UofA. She suggested we look up here, and now the rest of the story. Well, I won't bore you, but there are now 15 of us, including grandkids living here and I imagine we will all be here to we go to wherever God sends us.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:32 PM

9 posts, read 12,793 times
But 49 was the best, and I can't wait to do that 71 drive as well. So much still to be explored! What is the terrain like west of Fayetteville over to the OK border?[/quote]

It's pretty, but it's not all mountains. Prairie Grove is a nice town, lots of antiquing there.

But I like to head out east and south of Fayetteville. You drove Hwy 23 also affectionately known as the "Pig Trail" cause the UA students would take it as a short cut to avoid coming up Hwy 71. 71 was terrible to drive before 49 opened up - trucks would back up traffic for miles! But now 71 is peaceful and lovely to drive.

One of my favorite day trips from Fayetteville is going to White Rock Mountain. Or to Eureka Springs.

I've lived in this area for over 20 years, and there is always something new to explore. I haven't been to Crystal Bridges Museum in about a year - it is time to go again!

Old 12-24-2015, 08:40 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
If you want a real experience drive either one during a snow or better yet, ice storm. Oh memories.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:48 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,989,345 times
I moved here about a year ago, and have been very pleased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers