Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 08:56 AM

14 posts, read 20,335 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My family will be moving to NW Arkansas next year. I have never been there, not to the south period. I've live in OR, WA, and ID my whole life. I have done a lot of research on the internet and these forums but would still love some info from people that are there. We are in our 40's and have elementary age kids. We are looking for a quite area with little traffic (if possible) that is still close to a main grocery store like a walmart for those daily needs. I'd like trails in the neighborhood or close by. Love trees. So areas with lots of trees would be nice. We will be looking for a subdivision with a home around 180k or so. Clean, safe, and quiet. We are convervative and work professional jobs. We are debating Bentonville, Siloam Springs, or maybe Rogers. I work from home so work location isn't an issue.

What towns/ areas of town/neighborhoods do you recommend?
I rarely see a bug in my house and they arent an issue in the yard. Do you have to do yearly spraying there to control bugs?
How is the healthcare? Access to drs? Time of getting an appt?
What areas should I avoid in my searches maybe due to crime or just not fitting my wants?
Any other info about what I should expect would be great. This is a huge change for us. I never travel so all this is new to me.

I know people will say that, I should come check out the area before i get there. Unfortunately that doesn't work for us with kids and jobs and cost. I will be renting for he first couple of months before i buy a home so i can see the area better, but id like to rent in the same area preferably.

Last edited by cmjones003; 02-27-2016 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Added a line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 09:56 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
I can not imagine researching an area and not physically visiting before making a move.

Don't your kids have a summer break?
you can take a week off from work to have a look and see for yourself. There is no way I could tell you what is a good area because you are not me. I urge you to drive to have a look for yourself.

If bugs are an issue for you, you should certainly avoid woodsy areas and places close to a body of water such as a lake.

I've heard of people moving to this area and can't stand it due to the pollen and allergies that they didn't experience in the old neighborhood.

I moved from a place that was more wooded, but it seems like there may be more bugs here. I enjoy being outside here much more than the old neighborhood though. Someone told me the constant breeze helps the bugs not be such a nuisance.

House flies and perhaps horse flies are prevalent where I live because there are cows and horses nearby. In the summer months, it's a challenge to keep the flies out of the house.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:08 AM

14 posts, read 20,335 times
Thank you for the info Gunslinger. Driving is not an option since i live near the Oregon coast. We would need to fly and for a family of four, that is not in the budget with the move also. We are moving to the area either way due to my husband job. I'd just like to pick the best area and be more prepared. I live in a very forested area now and am used to the horrible allergies. We just dont have ticks, chiggers, or fleas in the yard.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:19 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
hopefully, your husband's job has a relocation package that will provide an exploratory trip for housing search?

if his job is with Walmart, there may be only minimal moving expenses covered due to their "every day low cost" approach to minimizing all costs.

I've made the road trip from Arkansas to NY a few times. It's perfectly doable with the family but probably just a little longer drive to oregon.

Last edited by gunslinger256; 02-27-2016 at 10:32 AM..

Old 02-27-2016, 01:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones003 View Post
Hi!

My family will be moving to NW Arkansas next year. I have never been there, not to the south period. I've live in OR, WA, and ID my whole life. I have done a lot of research on the internet and these forums but would still love some info from people that are there. We are in our 40's and have elementary age kids. We are looking for a quite area with little traffic (if possible) that is still close to a main grocery store like a walmart for those daily needs. I'd like trails in the neighborhood or close by. Love trees. So areas with lots of trees would be nice. We will be looking for a subdivision with a home around 180k or so. Clean, safe, and quiet. We are convervative and work professional jobs. We are debating Bentonville, Siloam Springs, or maybe Rogers. I work from home so work location isn't an issue.

What towns/ areas of town/neighborhoods do you recommend?
I rarely see a bug in my house and they arent an issue in the yard. Do you have to do yearly spraying there to control bugs?
How is the healthcare? Access to drs? Time of getting an appt?
What areas should I avoid in my searches maybe due to crime or just not fitting my wants?
Any other info about what I should expect would be great. This is a huge change for us. I never travel so all this is new to me.

I know people will say that, I should come check out the area before i get there. Unfortunately that doesn't work for us with kids and jobs and cost. I will be renting for he first couple of months before i buy a home so i can see the area better, but id like to rent in the same area preferably.
ok, this just one opinion and others will jump in with ideas; The good news, you will find lots of conservative people here, lots of trees, hiking trails and lots of quiet neighborhoods but still near shopping, restaurants and other activities. The only bad news: bugs. No, they are not terrible but most of us use a professional bug exterminator or spray ourselves a few times a year.

You ask about medical care, we are fortunate to have some wonderful hospitals and doctors. You will not have any problems to speak of.

As for areas, rather than give you mine opinion of where not to live, let me give you where I would look if I were you: Of course Bentonville is popular as is Rogers. Centerton is an up and coming area. You might think about Fayetteville as well, though it might be a little pricey. Another area you should seriously consider and I am not saying this because I live here, is Bella Vista, on the east side. Most of the West side is still Gravette schools. There is nothing wrong with Gravette schools but the commute is very long. Our granddaughter and her family live on the eastside. Their kids are in the Bentonville schools. They love their neighborhood, are close to most everything and yet the area is woodsy. they have a lot of great places to walk and hike with their 3 little girls. These are just some ideas.

Welcome to NWA

Old 02-27-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I can not imagine researching an area and not physically visiting before making a move.

Don't your kids have a summer break?
you can take a week off from work to have a look and see for yourself. There is no way I could tell you what is a good area because you are not me. I urge you to drive to have a look for yourself.

If bugs are an issue for you, you should certainly avoid woodsy areas and places close to a body of water such as a lake.

I've heard of people moving to this area and can't stand it due to the pollen and allergies that they didn't experience in the old neighborhood.

I moved from a place that was more wooded, but it seems like there may be more bugs here. I enjoy being outside here much more than the old neighborhood though. Someone told me the constant breeze helps the bugs not be such a nuisance.

House flies and perhaps horse flies are prevalent where I live because there are cows and horses nearby. In the summer months, it's a challenge to keep the flies out of the house.
I agree with you about moving with out visiting. as for things like horse flies, unless they are living in a rural area I don't think the fly situation is going to be any different than almost anywhere. We have lived all over the country, flies are flies and they are a pain.

As for pollen, it depends on what one is allergic to and it isn't any different here. I never had an allergy in my life until I got much older. Then we moved to NM and I was awful from Feb to May. Here they are starting now and will continue longer for me, but not as bad as New Mexico.

I do agree about the bugs, but if is a trade off, to escape them one might have to give up the beauty of the woodsy area.

OK, OP, now you can see why I said you are going to get several different answers and none are totally right or wrong. You really do need to find a way to visit first. I know every company is different, but I would think hubby's company would pay for a couple of days house hunting even if you had to leave the kids with someone when you visit.

One more thing as for chiggers, fleas, and ticks Yes, we have ticks, they are not the end of the world, but you do need to be careful from about May til maybe Sept. chiggers are a huge pest for those who are bothered by them. It seems most people are not and yet, those who are, like my hubby have a terrible time. Again, you get used to them and spray when going into areas where they are common. For hubby, usually after the weather is really warm for a few months he seems not to have as many problems; His worst time seems to be in June. Fleas are no better or worse than most places.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:44 AM

108 posts, read 120,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones003 View Post
Hi!
I know people will say that, I should come check out the area before i get there. Unfortunately that doesn't work for us with kids and jobs and cost.
I hear ya on this note. I live in the Portland Metro and am looking at a more affordable place to start over although I work from home and will take my job with me. We have twin toddlers and the thought of trying to visit before moving is a job in and of itself. We are looking at OK and AR as possibilities. I am following the good schools and this may help you to pinpoint where to go also. Renting first is always a good idea as this will buy you time to really decide where you will be happiest. IMO from having done a lot of traveling, just visiting a place doesn't give you any in-depth knowledge of what it will be like to live there. I think it takes months of being somewhere before you know if it feels right or not, so a week visit probably wouldn't do you much good other than to satisfy your visual curiosity. When you are relocating for a job or have limited funds for a house your choices are reduced anyway. Go for it and keep me posted. I'm planning to make the move before the heat of summer and am excited about starting over. Hope it goes well for you all and keep us posted!

Old 03-25-2016, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyspring View Post
I hear ya on this note. I live in the Portland Metro and am looking at a more affordable place to start over although I work from home and will take my job with me. We have twin toddlers and the thought of trying to visit before moving is a job in and of itself. We are looking at OK and AR as possibilities. I am following the good schools and this may help you to pinpoint where to go also. Renting first is always a good idea as this will buy you time to really decide where you will be happiest. IMO from having done a lot of traveling, just visiting a place doesn't give you any in-depth knowledge of what it will be like to live there. I think it takes months of being somewhere before you know if it feels right or not, so a week visit probably wouldn't do you much good other than to satisfy your visual curiosity. When you are relocating for a job or have limited funds for a house your choices are reduced anyway. Go for it and keep me posted. I'm planning to make the move before the heat of summer and am excited about starting over. Hope it goes well for you all and keep us posted!
just a matter of opinion but I would take AR (NW) over OK. It is prettier, for one thing. I will say the mind set of the 2 states is pretty similar. Good luck with your choice and move.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,044 times
H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers