Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 07:00 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,989,345 times

Advertisements

What is the fine for not renewing the registration of your vehicle? (sticker out of date)? Is this a "stack charge", or is it something to get pulled over for all by itself? Describe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 09:50 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
Why would you not renew your registration? In MN the assumption would be that the car wasn't insured & it would be ticket city. (I don't know how much it is here as I never thought of not obeying the law).

Old 05-29-2016, 10:30 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
JWG, I may have been too harsh. If you are in-between moving's, it's certainly understandable but, I'm FAIRLY certain you get to spend some time in a new state before you have to change to that state. You do in MN anyway.

Depending when & where I move, I may have to pay double. That's a cost I will build into my 'moving budget'. Look at the DMV of AR & you might get the information you need.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:35 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
(1) Any person owning a vehicle on which a fee is
required to be paid under the terms of this section
who shall operate it or permit it to be operated on a
public road in this state without having paid the fee
required by this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor
and upon conviction shall be fined in a sum
not less than double the fee provided for and not
more than three thousand dollars ($3,000)

They can pull you over for expired tags. And they can do so repeatedly.

I can hardly imagine any reason for choosing not to register your vehicle. It's cheap. It's easy.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:15 PM

231 posts, read 381,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
(1)

They can pull you over for expired tags. And they can do so repeatedly.

I can hardly imagine any reason for choosing not to register your vehicle. It's cheap. It's easy.
They certainly will pull you over. A lot of the cops will check to make sure everything is current and give you a warning (I know from multiple examples). My wife didn't put hers on the car a few years ago and got pulled over. The Rogers cop actually put the sticker on for her.

Although, cheap is a relative thing. Wasn't long ago I had to dig to come up with $1.25 for gas. Wasn't even half a gallon..... But it got the car down the road. So the 20-whatever price can be hard on some.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Why would you not renew your registration? In MN the assumption would be that the car wasn't insured & it would be ticket city. (I don't know how much it is here as I never thought of not obeying the law).
I don't have just $1200 laying around randomly, or I would. Registration is insane here. You have to pay your taxes half a year early (Paid last year's up to date, and don't owe zip until Oct 15 this year) or you can't register (Will NOT let me re-register my vehicle online "You owe taxes"). So I'm just not doing it until my taxes are actually DUE, and then next year it will all happen when it's due, is my thought, no? Sure must be nice to randomly have $1200 laying around so you can pay all your taxes early, but that ain't me. So it's just going to have to be a broken law this year. I'll happily go to court over it and see how reasonable the judge thinks it is that someone who works for a living can randomly pump out $1200 for a $30 sticker just arbitrarily.

Last edited by JWG223; 06-01-2016 at 12:46 AM..

Old 06-01-2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I have always viewed the law as optional, so long as you understand the penalties of not obeying it. In my case, the penalty of not obeying it (likely nothing, warning only), trumps obeying it (Paying $1200 tomorrow). I have no moral obligation to follow the law. Only a financial obligation to make smart choices. In my case, it's smart to break the law. Only an idiot would fork over that kind of money randomly just to appease some weird law.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:27 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I don't have just $1200 laying around randomly, or I would. Registration is insane here. You have to pay your taxes half a year early (Paid last year's up to date, and don't owe zip until Oct 15 this year) or you can't register (Will NOT let me re-register my vehicle online "You owe taxes"). So I'm just not doing it until my taxes are actually DUE, and then next year it will all happen when it's due, is my thought, no? Sure must be nice to randomly have $1200 laying around so you can pay all your taxes early, but that ain't me. So it's just going to have to be a broken law this year. I'll happily go to court over it and see how reasonable the judge thinks it is that someone who works for a living can randomly pump out $1200 for a $30 sticker just arbitrarily.
There is something wrong with your scenario.

You don't have to pay your taxes early in order to register your vehicle.

If the computer says you owe taxes, then you have an outstanding tax bill. You need to find out what it is, and take care of it.

I renew in June. I haven't paid my tax bill that's due in October, and I will have no problem registering my car.

You need to contact the collector's office to find out what's going on.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:53 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,401,923 times
yeah, something is wrong, either at the assessor's office or the collector's office and it could just be an error on their part. you might want to take all your supporting evidence with you, as they might just have applied your payment to some other account. happens.

i have a small fleet of vehicles that i renew a tag or two every month and i only pay my property tax on the due date (october 15) every year.

also, it is a stoppable offense for cars and boats that have an out of date registration, that is when they usually start the "stackable charges." (like insurance) i know of several cases where it lead to dwi charges, especially in boats.

the half payment, is basically a payment plan to ease the burden of paying the entire amount in october, also they like to get the money early for county operating funds.

bottom line, your problem should be easily resolved and you should not have to drive around with out of date registration, as there is a fee for late registration also. (they are pretty lenient on that at the revenue office, they will have you sign a paper saying you did not drive the vehicle while out of registration, like it was broke down or something) it took me a few years and a few mistakes to figure out the system, so don't feel bad.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There is something wrong with your scenario.

You don't have to pay your taxes early in order to register your vehicle.

If the computer says you owe taxes, then you have an outstanding tax bill. You need to find out what it is, and take care of it.

I renew in June. I haven't paid my tax bill that's due in October, and I will have no problem registering my car.

You need to contact the collector's office to find out what's going on.
I don't have outstanding taxes. I have current/paid receipts from the assessor's office, and was just there last week to obtain them and insure that I owed NOTHING on either my vehicle, or my property. I have all paperwork in-hand, and will take it to the DMV and ask them to waive whatever the online system is hanging up on, because I have proof my land and car have zero balance due until Oct 15, 2016. This is a relief and I will happily spend the $30. But $1200 was stupid and I wasn't going to do it months early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers