Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 05:21 PM

48 posts, read 64,742 times

Advertisements

I had lived in Fayetteville before moving to the Detroit area. I'd like to know which metro area would be better in terms of job growth and cultural activities. Also diversity and progressiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 06:36 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,448 times
If you have lived in both it seems like you would be able to answer that for yourself.

I know that you are struggling to find the "right" place for you, but sometimes it's just a state of mind. I think most of the places you mentioned in other posts are accepting
and could work out. Don't worry about what others are thinking so much and go live your life.

Now if you are looking for the most liberal place, California is calling your name.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:58 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,181 times
Wherever you go, there you are. Unless you are in a high crime area, then this doesn't have the same meaning.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:33 PM

37 posts, read 49,645 times
A little late to the party, but here goes:

I moved to just south of Siloam Springs from Chesterfield Twp, MI in Jan 2017. Just spent almost two weeks back in Michigan for the holiday and couldn't wait to get back to AR. Sure, I'm in a rural area where it takes 15 minutes to get to town, but on M-59 in Macomb County MI it takes 15 minutes to get three blocks!

We love the small town feel and the outdoors. If you love to shop and go to town, go to the movies and concerts and such, then plan to drive a bit or stay on the I-49 corridor. I hope I never have to live in the subdivision rat-race again.

As for diversity, it depends on what kind of diversity. If your idea of diversity is racial-or political, LOL-, then you won't see much. But we have a very diverse community, from old school farm folks to young YUPPY professionals and everything in between.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeKing5 View Post
I had lived in Fayetteville before moving to the Detroit area. I'd like to know which metro area would be better in terms of job growth and cultural activities. Also diversity and progressiveness.
I have been following your posts off and on. I don't want to sound mean but is there anyplace that is going to satisfy you? You didn't find Fayetteville accepting enough for your sexual orientation. You must be having second thoughts about Mi and have posted you think you may want to relocate to Germany. I don't know about others but I have to wonder what you really are looking for? You already know or seem to know NWA isn't for you.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:29 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,445,611 times
I'm going to clue some people in here who obviously need it. No place in Arkansas can measure up to any major metropolitan city in the U.S. in terms of diversity/traffic/food/culture/infrastructure/jobs......what you call "progressiveness".....you name it. Arkansas is a great place (at least I think so) on many levels, and NWA in particular is definitely on the upswing, but these comparisons between a metro like NWA with a population around 500,000 and a metro like Detroit, with well over 5 million, need to stop. I'm originally from Detroit and have spent a lot of time in NWA. Those worlds couldn't be much further apart on the spectrum. Let me make it easy for you: The biggest cities in the U.S. are going to have more of EVERYTHING big cities have than anything you'll find in Arkansas, ok? There you go.

Sorry to be condescending, but c'mon, man.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:21 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,667,412 times
Detroit on all the accounts you mentioned, just by sheer size.

Job Growth: I suppose that is all relative. Fayetteville actually might have more growth relative to population but Detroit is going to have far more opportunities, more diverse career paths, and chances to further your career. (Detroit metro nearly at 6M, where NWA, while growing fast, hasn't even hit 1M)

Cultural Activities: Again, not to knock Fayetteville as it has some cool stuff like U of A and Crystal Bridges Art Museum, but Detroit by a mile, just by sheer size, Detroit is probably a Top 8 metro in the US in this regard.

Diversity: Detroit, again, by sheer size, is WAY more diverse, in almost all areas of diversity. It also is known as being the Arabic gateway to the US.

Progressiveness: Detroit is one of the most progressive metro areas in the United States. NWA is probably a purple-ish metro in a red leaning state, perhaps it leans slightly red, but I would imagine Fayetteville itself leans blue.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Detroit on all the accounts you mentioned, just by sheer size.

Job Growth: I suppose that is all relative. Fayetteville actually might have more growth relative to population but Detroit is going to have far more opportunities, more diverse career paths, and chances to further your career. (Detroit metro nearly at 6M, where NWA, while growing fast, hasn't even hit 1M)

Cultural Activities: Again, not to knock Fayetteville as it has some cool stuff like U of A and Crystal Bridges Art Museum, but Detroit by a mile, just by sheer size, Detroit is probably a Top 8 metro in the US in this regard.

Diversity: Detroit, again, by sheer size, is WAY more diverse, in almost all areas of diversity. It also is known as being the Arabic gateway to the US.

Progressiveness: Detroit is one of the most progressive metro areas in the United States. NWA is probably a purple-ish metro in a red leaning state, perhaps it leans slightly red, but I would imagine Fayetteville itself leans blue.
good post; much of what you say is 100% right. The thing is: the Op knows all this. she lived here before moving to Detroit area because she didn't find fayetteville progressive enough for her.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:17 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
We all know already what you think of Arkansas:

Moving out of Arkansas.

It would seem that, really, your one and only reason for posting on the Arkansas forum is to put the state down. Do you not have much to do? Seriously. *SMH*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers