Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:48 AM

6 posts, read 7,413 times

Advertisements

Hello Wise friends in AR,

We were recently presented with an opportunity in Bentonville that is turning our small-town, nicely settled world upside down, and we are thinking of selling and moving to the area. My oldest will be entering high school in the fall, so I am really in need of any insight or advice you may have between Fayetteville High, Bentonville High and Haas Hall. My daughter took advanced courses in 8th grade, and was all set to take Honors Geometry, Honors English, and Biology in 9th grade here. She had also auditioned for the Chamber Orchestra in high school and got in. We are 3 days into the news so we haven't narrowed down neighborhoods etc but right now, school is the most important consideration. I have two younger ones as well - who would be going to 5th grade and 2nd grade respectively.

Just a little background - we are moving from a very good, small public school district in OH (150 kids in most grades, and graduating class). The kids walk to all three school (yup, that's still a thing here) and most parents know each other. Foreign language starts in Grade 1 with Spanish, with French and Latin added as options in 5th grade. School clubs include model UN, Science Olympiad, Language clubs, Math clubs, Fiddling cowboys (strings) etc. Sports has a good presence too.

I realize not everything can be replicated, but would love to get your thoughts and opinions - for all the schools, especially high school.
1. Any substantial differences between Bentonville high and Fayetteville high?
2. Have you considered Haas Hall or declined it? Why?
3. Apart from the focused college prep, what does one gain or lose from going to Haas Hall versus going to one of the other 2?
4. How are the arts programs in these schools? Besides music that is.

I don't know if we would even get into Haas Hall given I just applied, but wanted to do some due diligence.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 08:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Fayetteville High will have larger class sizes than the high schools in Bentonville. Fayetteville benefits from having the University close by. Bentonville West High School is the newest school. All three have Honors courses, AP courses, excellent music programs, extracurricular clubs, drama programs, art programs, etc. Haas Hall, originally in Fayetteville, has been expanding. They have schools in Bentonville and Rogers. However, there may be a waiting list to get in. There may also be a waiting list to get into the Rogers Art Academy which schools elementary up to high school students and is focused on the arts.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:50 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,967 times
Both Bentonville and Bentonville West High Schools are a lot bigger than you are used too.

This was Bentonville West's first graduating class and there were 375 Seniors who graduated.

Bentonville High had 728 graduating seniors. These are both big schools.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
When you talk about Bentonville High, I assume you are including Bentonville West in your consideration. I only mention this because,like Slytrix mentioned it is a new school. Both are highly rated and both would have advanced classes. The same with Fayetteville. You can't go wrong regardless which area you pick. Haas has an outstanding reputation, but I think there may be a waiting list. Anyway good luck to you and welcome to the natural state, which means, naturally friendly and naturally beautiful.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:01 AM

6 posts, read 7,413 times
Thank you so much for the quick replies and the warm welcome. I had initially intended on staying behind with the kids in OH but on second thoughts, feel it's important for my girls to have dad around - especially during High School. So I feel like I am scrambling with this move decision. This forum was instrumental in our earlier moves and I am really thankful for all tidbits and opinions.

So nmnita and Slytrix, looks like I need to do a bit more research on the schools - but yes, I think I included Bentonville and Bentonville West in the consideration. Also, again transplant mistake probably, but we are assuming we could live in Fayetteville and commute to Walmart HQ every day. Is that silly or totally not-recommended?

Our reason for considering Haas Hall is the size more than anything - given that it's probably going to be a shock to come from such a small school district. But I worry about the single-minded focus on academics versus all else. Also I am sure that a big school would offer a larger pool of electives and options.

DC at the Ridge - you mention that "Fayetteville benefits from having the University close by." - in what way(s)?

Old 05-23-2018, 11:31 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgri35 View Post

So nmnita and Slytrix, looks like I need to do a bit more research on the schools - but yes, I think I included Bentonville and Bentonville West in the consideration. Also, again transplant mistake probably, but we are assuming we could live in Fayetteville and commute to Walmart HQ every day. Is that silly or totally not-recommended?
You could live in Fayetteville and commute but you will be with a lot of other commuters in the morning and evening going home.

Traffic to and from work, Bentonville or Centerton (Bentonville West location) would be better.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:11 PM

As slytrix mentions, the commute, though very doable if you are not used to heavy traffic you might be in for a shock. If you were coming from a large metro area the commute would be a piece of cake. One area you may want to consider, because you are thinking: small town would be Pea Ridge or the other might be the east side of Bella Vista. Both would give you that small town vibe. BV is a bottle neck for about a mile in the mornings and by the time you reach the highway it opens up pretty much. Our grandson does this daily to Walmart headquarters. The east side of BV is Bentonville schools: bv west to be exact. Pea Ridge has their own district. The commute would not be as easy as from BV but better than from Fayetteville probably. If it would help with your decision and if you have time there is an organization in BV called the ambassadors: tha is just a thought.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgri35 View Post
Thank you so much for the quick replies and the warm welcome. I had initially intended on staying behind with the kids in OH but on second thoughts, feel it's important for my girls to have dad around - especially during High School. So I feel like I am scrambling with this move decision. This forum was instrumental in our earlier moves and I am really thankful for all tidbits and opinions.

Our reason for considering Haas Hall is the size more than anything - given that it's probably going to be a shock to come from such a small school district. But I worry about the single-minded focus on academics versus all else. Also I am sure that a big school would offer a larger pool of electives and options.

DC at the Ridge - you mention that "Fayetteville benefits from having the University close by." - in what way(s)?
The University is just a great resource. I know high school students who've taken classes at the university, and who've used the university's library. Plus many of the professors and lecturers have children in the Fayetteville school system, and who value their children's education and participate in that education. Also, the university's programs, like theater and music and art are often open to the public. Proximity can be a factor in accessing those venues. Which is why I would say that Bentonville schools benefit from Crystal Bridges and the Amazeum. The University, Crystal Bridges, the Amazeum, are all regional assets. But the easier the access, the more potential benefit.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As slytrix mentions, the commute, though very doable if you are not used to heavy traffic you might be in for a shock. If you were coming from a large metro area the commute would be a piece of cake. One area you may want to consider, because you are thinking: small town would be Pea Ridge or the other might be the east side of Bella Vista. Both would give you that small town vibe. BV is a bottle neck for about a mile in the mornings and by the time you reach the highway it opens up pretty much. Our grandson does this daily to Walmart headquarters. The east side of BV is Bentonville schools: bv west to be exact. Pea Ridge has their own district. The commute would not be as easy as from BV but better than from Fayetteville probably. If it would help with your decision and if you have time there is an organization in BV called the ambassadors: tha is just a thought.
Nita, does your grandson stick with the highways in his commute to WM HQ, or does he take any of the back roads? J Street goes past Crystal Bridges and beyond 49, so people from BV and Pea Ridge can often use J Street rather than the major roads to make their commute easier.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Nita, does your grandson stick with the highways in his commute to WM HQ, or does he take any of the back roads? J Street goes past Crystal Bridges and beyond 49, so people from BV and Pea Ridge can often use J Street rather than the major roads to make their commute easier.
am not sure, but I do know he said the only real backup is at Mcnally road, I think it is. It is there where where Walgreens is, at 71. As soon as you pass that it is clear sailing or should we say driving to headquarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers