Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,516 times

Advertisements

My husband will be flying out for his final interview with Walmart next week. We are from Northern Virginia and I'm really torn about possibly relocating my family across the country to a place I've never been with no family nearby. I would love to get anyone's opinions regarding the work culture at Walmart. One thing I've read is there are frequent layoffs which makes me very nervous. I would hate to move so far and then have my husband lose his job. Another negative thing I've read is the work/life balance. My husband's current job is very demanding with longs hours so I'm hoping a switch in companies will improve his situation.

Overall I'm hoping a move will improve our quality of life. Northern Virginia is getting more congested with horrible traffic and high cost of living. It really is a rat race and people are not that friendly. The schools here are wonderful but from what I've read the Bentonville Schools district is very good as well. Both of our families are in this area so if we move it will be hard to be away from everyone, especially with the expense of the airline tickets. Any words of advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 12:48 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,637 times
A lot of my neighbors work for Walmart or Sam's Club Corporate and like their jobs. Nobody got laid off this last go round YMMV. There is a lot of traffic at lunchtime and after work near The Home Office which will be moving a couple of miles into a brand new facility after they finish construction in a couple of years.

I moved here in December and find people to be extremely friendly so that will be a good change for your family.

Good luck, I hope your Hubs gets the job.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:50 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,383 times
layoff are depending on what he will be doing. If he is working with the tech dept such as support or NOC, then he will be ok, Programming is always needed. They only lay off when one side of the business is not producing anything. I use to work for them, and the offices are scattered pretty good in one location. He will be limited to areas for security and other things. People are nice, few snobs just as everywhere you go. COL is decent compare to were you are, just reflects in his salary. If you like being busy, then stay in town. If you want a decent place that doesnt cost you 2 checks, then check out the smaller towns around it. Traffic is not bad at all compare to what you are use too. Good thing is the NWA airport is close by and if you show them your walmart badge, you get discounts.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:53 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times
I think it's a great company to work for. I think the layoff threats really depends on the positions. Skilled positions are usually safer. My son and his g/f work for home office, he is in the tech dept and has already been promoted twice in 18 months, she just switched departments. Both really like it and it offers great benefits.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Lay offs happen periodically with most large companies. I know it is scary but it does happen. Our daughter and her husband worked for the same company for over 30 years, saw many layoffs every fall but they were never effected, so OP don't let this worry you. Remember the bad is what makes the news. As for Walmate, our grandson in law has worked for them a couple years now. He is an accountant and is truly happy with WalMart.
How will you like NWA after VA? I can't say but people are very friendly, we have people from all over the country living here, thanks to so many national companies being located here. I think you will find it, not much different than most places. BTW, we lived in No VA for 7 years, but that was a long time ago. The beauty of NWA is: you can have all the benefits of urban life and all the beauty of rural life all rolled up into one big ball. We are among the many "big city" people who have chosen to live here. As for traffic, there are a few hours each day where traffic can be a problem but holy cow, nothing like No. Va.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:13 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times
I've worked for the corp for almost 3 years now (started as a temp and now much higher). My wife was a devout Walmart hater when we lived in NY and watched all the videos about how they are bad corporate citizens, but after working with them, I've come to have a deep respect for what they stand for and how they are trying to be better for the world.

Just about all the negative videos I've seen were all based years ago when the company was trying to grow and basically still learning to do the right thing in a climate where there were no guidelines or even laws.

In recent efforts that I've been aware of, Walmart has been trying to lead the way around helping Sustainability, preventing human trafficking, promoting fair trade and not contributing to climate change but I've never seen them talk about or use those positions for financial gain (though I'm sure it's in there somehow).

I'm not like some of the Walmart nuts that live and breath Walmart. In fact I hate doing the cheer in the beginning of all the big meetings. I've worked with a few old timers who were in the company when there was just a handful of people in the home office. The company has grown and continues to grow. Yes there have been lots of layoffs, but any company needs to adjust and adapt with the times.

If your husband is being recruited for some technical ability, he should be safe for a few years until that technology is no longer what they need, but there's time to change with the industry.

workload? I've seen people leave religiously at 5:30 every day. the official day is a little longer 7:30-5:30 but you seldom see people working over the weekend or late into the evening. Having said that, everyone is usually swamped with more work than they can handle, but there doesn't appear to be much pressure to get it done right now.

people are nice everywhere you go, I've heard it's because you never knows who might be connected to your boss in this small town. No matter, being nice to everyone is a great mode to be in. Typically the red light honkers or the snobs are new to the area.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:18 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
I can't speak about Walmart as an employer, but I will say that NWA is a beautiful part of the country. Much less traffic than what you're dealing with, and the countryside is gorgeous. My favorite place for a Saturday excusion is Eureka Springs.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I've worked for the corp for almost 3 years now (started as a temp and now much higher). My wife was a devout Walmart hater when we lived in NY and watched all the videos about how they are bad corporate citizens, but after working with them, I've come to have a deep respect for what they stand for and how they are trying to be better for the world.

Just about all the negative videos I've seen were all based years ago when the company was trying to grow and basically still learning to do the right thing in a climate where there were no guidelines or even laws.

In recent efforts that I've been aware of, Walmart has been trying to lead the way around helping Sustainability, preventing human trafficking, promoting fair trade and not contributing to climate change but I've never seen them talk about or use those positions for financial gain (though I'm sure it's in there somehow).

I'm not like some of the Walmart nuts that live and breath Walmart. In fact I hate doing the cheer in the beginning of all the big meetings. I've worked with a few old timers who were in the company when there was just a handful of people in the home office. The company has grown and continues to grow. Yes there have been lots of layoffs, but any company needs to adjust and adapt with the times.

If your husband is being recruited for some technical ability, he should be safe for a few years until that technology is no longer what they need, but there's time to change with the industry.

workload? I've seen people leave religiously at 5:30 every day. the official day is a little longer 7:30-5:30 but you seldom see people working over the weekend or late into the evening. Having said that, everyone is usually swamped with more work than they can handle, but there doesn't appear to be much pressure to get it done right now.

people are nice everywhere you go, I've heard it's because you never knows who might be connected to your boss in this small town. No matter, being nice to everyone is a great mode to be in. Typically the red light honkers or the snobs are new to the area.
I have always heard about the hard work and long hours but our grand son in law rarely works much past normal quitting time. He has kid patrol often as our grand daughter is a nurse practitioner and can have late hours from time to time. Walmart also has some great kids programs for families of employees.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:45 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post

Just their pay scale is a HUGE joke compare to other companies in the area for the job, with smaller work loads. Can go work for mom and pop company and get paid 10x better then i would have gotten at WM.. that is what their main issue is. Pay roll and it sucks...

Old 05-22-2018, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Just their pay scale is a HUGE joke compare to other companies in the area for the job, with smaller work loads. Can go work for mom and pop company and get paid 10x better then i would have gotten at WM.. that is what their main issue is. Pay roll and it sucks...
There are many that would disagree with you, my grand son in law for starters. He is an accountant and is very satisfied with the salary and benefits Walmart offers him. If the pay is so lousy why are they able to convince people from all over the world to join them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers