Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 01:05 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,021 times

Advertisements

No, I don't think this will be the next boom area. Where would all the high paying jobs sprout from to support it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 12,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
No, I don't think this will be the next boom area. Where would all the high paying jobs sprout from to support it?
Walmart corporate office?

Actually I don’t think high paying jobs are even a necessity for what determines a boom town anymore. Boise boomed even without high paying jobs in the area because of retirees and remote workers. A lot of companies (like my own) now allow remote work.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitybobbit View Post
Walmart corporate office?

Actually I don’t think high paying jobs are even a necessity for what determines a boom town anymore. Boise boomed even without high paying jobs in the area because of retirees and remote workers. A lot of companies (like my own) now allow remote work.
I suppose people could make the place boom if they brought their own jobs with them, sure. Walmart is a company, not an industry - all corporate jobs are already taken.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:20 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
when a person can sell their home in one place and use a quarter of it to buy a house outright in another place, word gets out quickly. With NWA making it to one or more best places lists year after year only spreads the information a little further.

And that money that buys the homes outright? When the perceived price is "sooo cheap" folks tend to bid up the prices by purchasing homes that are "priced a little high" and before long, the locals are priced out of the market (this has already happened).

Bentonville is not the latest boom town because the pace of growth has been roughly doubling every year for the past 8-10 years. All of the building that's happening in the area is simply remarkable. New building sprouting virtually over night and also all the multi-family developments going up like weeds.

Walmart wants this growth to bring more high potential labor to the area and they have been trying to nurture it for years.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:19 PM

840 posts, read 759,647 times
I’m in a boomtown now (Seattle) and want to get out and retire in a less crowded and less booming place. NWA sounds appealing in some ways although I haven’t visited yet. Are there any areas that are lively but not under too much development? Ideally I’d like a 55+ community or a tiny cottage type house.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:23 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,737,314 times
Much of our family has followed up; we all feel the same way. Just don't try to push CA life style down our throats".

Truth to be told, one of the reasons we plan to leave CA for us is that we got tired of California politics.

As for the association fees going up in Bella Vista from $ 24 to what ? $ 40 ?
When we lived in Orange County the monthly association fee was $ 240 - for two swimming pools and some greenbelt where the gardeners could practice with their leaf blowers at 7 in the morning.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Much of our family has followed up; we all feel the same way. Just don't try to push CA life style down our throats".

Truth to be told, one of the reasons we plan to leave CA for us is that we got tired of California politics.

As for the association fees going up in Bella Vista from $ 24 to what ? $ 40 ?
When we lived in Orange County the monthly association fee was $ 240 - for two swimming pools and some greenbelt where the gardeners could practice with their leaf blowers at 7 in the morning.
This has been my point all along about the dues. Many people do not realize how cheap our dues really are When we lived in NO Va in the 80s we had a town house: monthly dues were $30 and we had no amenities. The association did maintain the roads in our community and kept the lawns mowed in our front yard and the public areas. We didn't even have a community pool or tennis courts. And remember we are talking 30 years ago.

I totally agree about the politics of CA and do not want to see people moving here who want to push a life style from where they have lived down our throats or make us like the place they left.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This has been my point all along about the dues. Many people do not realize how cheap our dues really are When we lived in NO Va in the 80s we had a town house: monthly dues were $30 and we had no amenities. The association did maintain the roads in our community and kept the lawns mowed in our front yard and the public areas. We didn't even have a community pool or tennis courts. And remember we are talking 30 years ago.

I totally agree about the politics of CA and do not want to see people moving here who want to push a life style from where they have lived down our throats or make us like the place they left.
Why are you comparing neighborhood hoa's with a 30,000 population town + a bunch of owned lots poa? It's not like there's a choice here - if you want to live in Bella Vista, you must pay poa dues. When you live in a city, you can avoid hoa neighborhoods if you want. This is an extremely rare sort of town government, that started off making sense when it was a small retirement community. The more populated BV gets the less sense this poa governmental structure makes. The Trafalger fire perfectly illustrated how unbeilievably inept this poa is in the role of a city government - it was like they didn't exist. We were on our own, and the only reason it was dealt with was because of lawsuits and the state government MAKING the poa take respoonsibility for it. If it weren't for any of that, we would still be smelling stump dump fire and the poa would still be silent. This is not any sort of governmental entity that can be counted on. It's a joke, I don't believe a word anyone on the board or it's overpaid manager says, and I think it's just a matter of time until it's replaced by a conventional city council government.

Last edited by duke944; 11-24-2019 at 10:02 PM..

Old 11-25-2019, 05:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Why are you comparing neighborhood hoa's with a 30,000 population town + a bunch of owned lots poa? It's not like there's a choice here - if you want to live in Bella Vista, you must pay poa dues. When you live in a city, you can avoid hoa neighborhoods if you want. This is an extremely rare sort of town government, that started off making sense when it was a small retirement community. The more populated BV gets the less sense this poa governmental structure makes. The Trafalger fire perfectly illustrated how unbeilievably inept this poa is in the role of a city government - it was like they didn't exist. We were on our own, and the only reason it was dealt with was because of lawsuits and the state government MAKING the poa take respoonsibility for it. If it weren't for any of that, we would still be smelling stump dump fire and the poa would still be silent. This is not any sort of governmental entity that can be counted on. It's a joke, I don't believe a word anyone on the board or it's overpaid manager says, and I think it's just a matter of time until it's replaced by a conventional city council government.
I do agree that eventually the POA may be gone: the rest of what you say I will not agree with as you are only seeing one side. What happened to seeing good and bad on both sides. You may believe one side is better than the other, but nothing i all bad. You talk about having choices: you had a choice when you moved here a few years ago: you could have chosen a nice town, maybe Pea Ridge that did not have a POA. We had a choice when we choose a town house in the DC area, people living in Hot Springs village had a choice. They choose to live in a community with dues over $50 a month. I am amazed you do not understand this. As bad as the stump dump situation was, in the end POA came through and saved BV a lot of money compared to what it would have cost if we depended on the government to solve the problem.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do agree that eventually the POA may be gone: the rest of what you say I will not agree with as you are only seeing one side. What happened to seeing good and bad on both sides. You may believe one side is better than the other, but nothing i all bad. You talk about having choices: you had a choice when you moved here a few years ago: you could have chosen a nice town, maybe Pea Ridge that did not have a POA. We had a choice when we choose a town house in the DC area, people living in Hot Springs village had a choice. They choose to live in a community with dues over $50 a month. I am amazed you do not understand this. As bad as the stump dump situation was, in the end POA came through and saved BV a lot of money compared to what it would have cost if we depended on the government to solve the problem.
In the first place, it is YOU that doesn't understand what this fire was like, because you don't live near it and do not have the ability to see beyond your own experiences and put yourself in someone else's shoes. In the second place, I drove to Pea Ridge once for something and the town was dumpy as hell, no way would I live in such an ugly place. When I moved here the poa fee was $24 and the place didn't stink, so don't blame me for complaining if things change(d). Hot Springs is the other Cooper development, and I fear that is where BV is headed - $100+ poa dues. Instead of saying "look how much cheaper it is in BV", what you should be concerned that's where we are headed. Lastly, the poa did not "come through." You talk like they came to the rescue. THEY WERE FORCED BY THE LAWSUITS AND THE STATE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!!! Why can't you understand this? They had no choice. They had to borrow the money from the water company, so they have paid diddly squat to put this fire out - they have yet to pay it back, and are looking for the property owners to pay the loan and interest back.

Talking to you is like talking to a robot. Everything said just bounces off. A perfect example is you still think property tax rate here is very low, even after I have explained that nwa is the highest in the state, and we here on the Bentonville school district side of BV probably pay the highest in the state. I paid something like 1.1% of my property value last year, this is higher than the nation's average - and it's over two times higher than the rate I paid in CO. I think you are confusing the actual amounts people pay vs other places, without taking into account house values. The property tax rate is the amount owed in relation to the property's value, it is not simply the amount owed. And it's damn high here - I'm paying 50% more in property tax for a property that is worth 50% less than the one I owned in CO. Is it as high as MN or most places in the northeast? of course not, but it is not "low".

Last edited by duke944; 11-25-2019 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers