Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2022, 12:42 PM

27 posts, read 37,372 times

Advertisements

I have been reading many of the posts regarding NWA and have learned a lot and appreciate the people who have taken the time to respond to other people’s questions. It is a big help to all of us looking as well. I currently live in the North Phoenix metro area and will be moving shortly. My house is under contract here and I am ready to get out of the heat, dust, pollution and over population. I moved here back in 1985 from Illinois for a job relocation and enjoyed it for many years. I have been traveling around the country off and on for the past 3 years looking at Florida (I lived there for 6 years in the early 2000s), North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Colorado (have family there but they are thinking of leaving as well). Luckily, last month, I was able to spend time in the Bentonville area and look around. I fell in love with NWA for the beauty, the greenery, the people, the amenities, economy, and the hiking and biking and the sense of community. I am a retired Certified Financial Planner and now am a Registered Nurse (MSN) as a second career. I have also been a realtor (full and part-time) for the past 22 years. So, as I contemplate my next steps and a move out of state and possibly to NWA, I have a few questions.
1. For those of you who have moved from out of state, what has been the biggest blessing for you and also the biggest challenge to adjust to?
2. Do you consider the hiking trails safe for a woman hiking alone with her BIG dog? Are there any areas for exploring or hiking that you would consider unsafe like with Ted Bundy type people or any bizarre critters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 01:06 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,189,270 times
1- Biggest blessing is the value. I can't think of anywhere that you get the scenery, amenities and cost of living all together. There really aren't many challenges. Coming from Arizona I would say don't underestimate the humidity here. Saturday night we got a good rain in Bentonville and Sunday was absolutely miserable despite being in the low to mid 90s.

2- Are you mainly speaking about the trails around town or getting off the paved trails for hiking in the woods? The in town trails seem to be mostly safe as long as good judgement is used. I can't think of any city trail in america I want my wife walking alone with a dog at night, but that's just one person's opinion.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:46 PM

knrstz - thanks for the reply. Glad to hear you feel there is value in the area for the prices. That is what I was amazed at during my first visit. With regard to hiking trails, I would not hike at night but was referring to all trails, paved ones in town and any as you go out to any of the national parks or something like Yellow Overlook....

Old 07-10-2022, 08:27 PM

425 posts, read 505,663 times
I moved to Bella Vista from GA in 2013. NWA is very much like North GA regarding topography, greenery and vegetation. The biggest adjustment for me was the lack of crime vs Georgia. I worked mainly in Atlanta and was used to hiding valuables in my locked car each time I went to the grocery store. The first few weeks of living (working) in Bentonville I went to lunch with a co-worker and I was in disbelief he left his iPad laying openly on the backseat of his car. That’s something you would never do in Atlanta, or in any larger suburb around it. We have crime here in NWA, but nothing as frequent and common as where I came from. Heck, I feel comfortable not even locking my doors here in Bella Vista (even though I do).

Hiking trails.. I walk/hike the bike trails here in Bella Vista 2 to 3 times per week. I frequently pass other lone hikers. I have never felt unsafe. I would have no issue with my wife hiking alone on the trails. Bad things can happen anywhere and at anytime, and no one can say you will always be ‘safe’. But I suspect you would feel much safer around here than walking a trail in Chicago or the likes.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the reply.....I am heading back again in 1 1/2 weeks once my house closes here in AZ. I plan to do a little hiking with my dog and really try to spend some time doing what I hope to do there if I moved to that area. When I was there in June, it did feel "safe", which was a good feeling as I was on the tail leg of a road trip to SC, NC, TN and I did NOT feel safe anywhere in SC - was more of a gut feeling of constantly being uneasy. But once I got to Bentonville/Rogers (where my hotel was), it just felt better. Hard to describe that feeling. And coming from the Phoenix metro area here, I understand that Atlanta mentality as it is here too. One of the many reasons I am leaving (thank goodness). House closes next week and I hit the road again back to NWA for another look around. Would love to be settled in time for a beautiful Fall season.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:42 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,095 times
People are generally friendly here. It has become more crowded here the past few years, but that, as with most things, is a matter of perspective. People coming here from larger cities don't find it to be crowded.

As for the trails, there are some areas, most in South Fayetteville, where you'll encounter homeless people. Fayetteville seems hell-bent on emulating Austin in every left-wing sense, so the city government and local population are very friendly to the transient community, and that has the usual, predictable results (many, many, many MORE homeless people moving here).

Overall, this area is pretty entertaining, generally peaceful, and increasingly affluent.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:20 PM

Thanks Rock Climber.....I am looking forward to another visit in a week or so. In June when I was there, most people were very friendly. I sure hope Fayetteville does not turn into some horrible homeless camp areas like Seattle, Portland and Denver. All that crap has ruined those areas. People need to stop repeating the mistakes that are driving people out of those areas to begin with. I am trying to get away from pollution, crime, insane population increase, heat and building after building after building. I need fresh air, trees, green spaces.........

Old 07-14-2022, 05:18 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
NWA is very nice, but it is still going to be way different than Phoenix culturally. But it really is unique in that it is still smally towny but has the corporate influence/affluence on one end and the University influence on the other. It's rare to have a community in that part of the world that is that size and has the kind of wealth, culture and amenities that NWA has.

As far as hiking. I don't imagine NWA trails are any more "dangerous" than anywhere else. However, there are going to be times of the year that the remote trails are going to miserable due to heat, humidity, ticks, horseflies, chiggers, and spiders spinning webs in the trees. That is mid to late spring to early fall.

Then other times of year it's a bit dangerous due to hunting season. I wouldn't go out there during deer season.

The good news is that the late fall when the colors are stunning and the early fall when things are greening up are just perfect. Late fall hiking in the Ozarks is truly magical with the cornucopia of colors.

And as others have said, the extensive network of "urban" trails there will be just fine other than watching for people on bicycles at times.

But as a total package, NWA can't be beat if you are looking for a non traditionally urban setting in the central part of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers