Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 10:31 PM

4 posts, read 9,493 times

Advertisements

Great forum. I have read several posts from folks relocating to NWA/Bentonville and asking about schools. I am afraid I am asking the same since I didn't see my questions answered.

I am relocating in about a month from Minneapolis to Bentonville. I know no one personally to ask for the Local View on things so hoping someone here will take pity!

I have a 3.75 y.o. daughter. First question is about pre-schools. I tried to sign up at the Helen Walton center because it was the only one I heard about. But it is full. There is one spot left at the Children's Hour. Does anyone have any comments (good or bad) about this place? Any other great pre-schools that I can learn about? Desperately seeking knowledge.

Secondly, I have read conflicting information on Bentonville schools. Greatschools.net says that people can register their kid in any school they want. But I also keep reading about zones/boundaries of attendance for each school. I would love my daughter to attend Elm Tree, but most of the houses I've found (online searching only at this point) that I like don't list Elm Tree as an option. Do I have to find a house in the ET zone?

Third, like others I've seen the comments about certain schools being "full". Since I have 2 years before kid attends elementary school can I get on a list as soon as I move (ie 2 years early) to ensure she gets the school?

Finally, also, my kiddo is ethnically diverse. Does this make any difference in school registration?

Thank you in advance for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 02:03 PM

18 posts, read 45,676 times
Not to be negative but the "preschools" here are horrible. I would say daycare is the best term for them. Walnut Farm is a great place and the only school we liked when we came out here but it is Montessori and more $$ than others in the area. As for the public schools-you cannot go to the school of your choice. Elm Tree and Central Park as well as RE Baker this year are all on waiting lists. Even if you live across the street from the school, if there is a wait, you will be bussed elsewhere. The zoning out here is insane. We live across the street from a school and I would say 60% of the kids go there and the rest are spread out in various schools-not by choice. We are in private school since the public schools-we found to be lacking in a lot of areas. We are from the east coast and the academic standards are just higher I guess. Anyway, good luck

Old 08-02-2009, 03:18 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
You most certainly CAN choose what school you go to. Arkansas has a new "school choice law" that allows you to enroll your children in any school district whether you live in the district or not. Your children could go to Rogers, Springdale, Fayetteville, Bentonville, etc. Of course, if the school is already overcrowded, you may not be able to get into that specific school. None of the schools are bad around Bentonville. The teachers in NWA make the most money in the state (about 10K more yearly than most other cities in Arkansas) so the schools can be very picky about who teaches in their districts.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:07 PM

so again, no you cannot go to the school of your choice if your choice is waitlisted. Also, there are plenty of bad schools in B'ville. Maybe not compared to the rest of the state but compared to schools in the north-absolutely. If you are from a high ranking school district elsewhere, you will be shocked what is considered a "good" school out here. I wish people were more unfront with us when we first got here. All I heard was how great this and that was...

Old 08-02-2009, 05:52 PM

4 posts, read 9,493 times
If you get on the waiting list early (ie 2 years before your kid will attend) does it matter or is it all on the year to year basis?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:12 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmom View Post
I wish people were more unfront with us when we first got here. All I heard was how great this and that was...
That is because people in NWA think their $hi+ doesn't stink.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:18 PM

148 posts, read 350,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
That is because people in NWA think their $hi+ doesn't stink.
Actually, I think it's plain ol' denial.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMGang View Post
If you get on the waiting list early (ie 2 years before your kid will attend) does it matter or is it all on the year to year basis?

yes, you absolutely should but you can only be on the waitlist if you have an address that is within that school's boundaries. You cannot waitlist from MN for example. Please call the administration office TODAY. They will be able to tell you in detail but if you have the time, call the school (s)directly and speak to someone there about the length of the waitlist and procedure for getting on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers