Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 07:32 PM

21 posts, read 75,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Probably taxes. It is what attracted us to AZ and now we are considering retirment in AK or AL.

We lived in Prescott Az. since 1971. Left in 1989 for Alaska. No doubt the most beautiful place in the world. A lot of freedom. Lived here 25 years(have a homestead). Very, Very expensive here. Housing is 1/3 as much in Arkansas. Groceries are horrendous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 07:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyscreek View Post
We lived in Prescott Az. since 1971. Left in 1989 for Alaska. No doubt the most beautiful place in the world. A lot of freedom. Lived here 25 years(have a homestead). Very, Very expensive here. Housing is 1/3 as much in Arkansas. Groceries are horrendous!
maybe I an missing something but what does all this have to do with AR?

Old 08-11-2013, 08:50 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
maybe I an missing something but what does all this have to do with AR?
Well, there is a rather prominent poster on the Alaska forum named hogfamily.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:05 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasketKitten View Post
See, I want to live in freedom. I want to be able to say "Merry Christmas" or "God Bless you" without having someone look sideways at me and scream, "That's offensive!"

I want to be able to purchase a home and have it paid off in 15 years as opposed to likely never having it paid off before my death.

I want to be able to say "Hello" to people, to be able to walk down the street and hear ENGLISH, to be able to walk into a place and know that I will be able to communicate because they all speak English and without hard accents that have me constantly saying, "Excuse me?"

I want four seasons in their proper order not spring in January or late March in June as is the case here in SoCal.

I could go on and on. I am coming to AR to appreciate what you all have made there, not to change it, not to alter it in any way. I only pray that you who live there already will not allow those born and bred in this nut house called CA to sweep in and start changing things to their liking. If you allow that, it's bye-bye peace and sanity.
Wow.

You have practically convinced Harrier to move to Fayetteville!

He is already a Hogs fan.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:05 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,585 times
What I love about Arkansas compared to a place like Colorado is that it isn't yet overrun by transplants. There has been more of a "trickle" of people into this region. Yes, its grown quickly, but a lot of it has been regional growth, with people from Texas (myself included) and other parts of the south and Arkansas moving here.

That has helped it to retain more of its regional flavor.

Being in Boulder or Fort Collins, I always feel like those places have no "soul". They have just grown too quickly and have become these generic hubs of "progressive growth" and that any vestiges of local colour or flavor are gone.

I rather enjoy the "small town" and rural character of Arkansas in many ways. As for the joke many northerners have about all people from Arkansas being related....would having Johnny Cash and Bill Clinton as uncles really be all that bad?

Old 08-11-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
What I love about Arkansas compared to a place like Colorado is that it isn't yet overrun by transplants. There has been more of a "trickle" of people into this region. Yes, its grown quickly, but a lot of it has been regional growth, with people from Texas (myself included) and other parts of the south and Arkansas moving here.

That has helped it to retain more of its regional flavor.

Being in Boulder or Fort Collins, I always feel like those places have no "soul". They have just grown too quickly and have become these generic hubs of "progressive growth" and that any vestiges of local colour or flavor are gone.

I rather enjoy the "small town" and rural character of Arkansas in many ways. As for the joke many northerners have about all people from Arkansas being related....would having Johnny Cash and Bill Clinton as uncles really be all that bad?
and what I love is, we have that small town, homey, rural feeling, but we also have everything we need, except Trader Joe's at our finger tips.

Our granddaughter and hubby plus 2 little girls just made the official move to NWA today. They both went to CSU. I started my college days in Boulder and you can have both places. Now, I have to admit, after the HOGS my football heart lies with the Buffs, but anything else associated with Boulder you can have.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:46 PM

13 posts, read 16,073 times
Quote:
and what I love is, we have that small town, homey, rural feeling, but we also have everything we need, except Trader Joe's at our finger tips.

<snip>
Wut? No Trader Joe's?

Is there one near Bentonville? I will die without quick access to my Ginger Honey Pickled Peaches.

Existence will be hellish... Ah well, resigned to my fate.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Offspring View Post
Wut? No Trader Joe's?

Is there one near Bentonville? I will die without quick access to my Ginger Honey Pickled Peaches.

Existence will be hellish... Ah well, resigned to my fate.
ok, so now your job is to join the constant bombarding Trader Joe's to bring one to NWA. If enough people email them, maybe we will get one in the next year, now that all the counties around here are wet. I know, it is a bummer and the worst part: there are two in Albuquerque of all places.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:54 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,417,337 times
I lived in Nederland and Pinecliff, Colorado back in the early 1970's. Last year I went for a visit to see the changes. I wish that I hadn't gone.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:58 PM

13 posts, read 16,073 times
Quote:
ok, so now your job is to join the constant bombarding Trader Joe's to bring one to NWA. If enough people email them, maybe we will get one in the next year, now that all the counties around here are wet. I know, it is a bummer and the worst part: there are two in Albuquerque of all places.
I am very good at bombarding actually. Do you have a blog or something I can follow to take part in this great campaign?

Someone took a left turn at Albuquerque and didn't make it past Dallas to Arkansas I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers