Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 7,240 times

Advertisements

DH is currently up for two positions. One is in the Fayetteville area, and the other is in the Hope (SWA) area. I loved the F'ville area while we were there, but right now that's looking like the less likely move b/c the pay is a little lower for that position and the COL is higher than SWA (naturally). Comparatively, it doesn't seem like the wisest move given that I am giving up my career for this move if we do it.

Howevever, I was not throroughly impressed with the Hope area. The COL was amazing, and we could do VERY well on a single income there. However, we witnessed a few things of the illegal/narcotic sort that make us both question whether we really want to live there, especially with children. The ruralness isn't an issue really as we are both from very rural areas and prefer small schools, but I worry about the other issues that come along with what seems to be a relatively economically depressed area such as what we saw while we were there.

NWA:
Are there lower COL areas, particularly housing, that are decent to live in and commutable to the F'ville area?

SWA:
Are there areas in SWA that are better for raising kids than Hope but still commutable to that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,835 times
Hope AR is a great place to raise children and you are 25 miles from Texarkana. Hope is much safer than most of Boston, DC, or Phil. And Ark median home price is 89 to 155k. There is lots of work for talented people of all types in Texarkana and for young people looking for a trade or medical field training.
Good Luck

Old 07-28-2008, 10:25 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereInAR? View Post
DH is currently up for two positions. One is in the Fayetteville area, and the other is in the Hope (SWA) area. I loved the F'ville area while we were there, but right now that's looking like the less likely move b/c the pay is a little lower for that position and the COL is higher than SWA (naturally). Comparatively, it doesn't seem like the wisest move given that I am giving up my career for this move if we do it.

Howevever, I was not throroughly impressed with the Hope area. The COL was amazing, and we could do VERY well on a single income there. However, we witnessed a few things of the illegal/narcotic sort that make us both question whether we really want to live there, especially with children. The ruralness isn't an issue really as we are both from very rural areas and prefer small schools, but I worry about the other issues that come along with what seems to be a relatively economically depressed area such as what we saw while we were there.

NWA:
Are there lower COL areas, particularly housing, that are decent to live in and commutable to the F'ville area?

SWA:
Are there areas in SWA that are better for raising kids than Hope but still commutable to that area?
NWA: Yes! Prairie Grove, Elkins, and even Farmington are all a bit lower in terms of housing costs than Fayetteville proper. All of those are easily commutable.

I'd definitely choose NWA over SWA, in a heartbeat.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 AM

200 posts, read 682,401 times
You could try about 15 miles down I-40 and get into the Texarkana school district. However, I'm not sure how much different it would be from Hope. I've never heard of there being a large drug problem in Hope, so maybe you were just (un)lucky to observe it when you were there..?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:32 AM

It really could be just a chance happening that we observed what we did. It just really concerned me given that we have young children. I do also realize that there are such issues everywhere. I think the part that shocked me so greatly was that the individuals involved were so out in the open with no intent to cover their actions, and it was near a school.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
It really could be just a chance happening that we observed what we did. It just really concerned me given that we have young children. I do also realize that there are such issues everywhere. I think the part that shocked me so greatly was that the individuals involved were so out in the open with no intent to cover their actions, and it was near a school.
As you said, it could just be a chance happening and yes, drugs are everywhere today. The best we can do is teach our kids values and hope like hell they listen.....

I too, would choose NWA, lots of small towns within 15 or 20 miles from Fayetteville, maybe a little further. The offer country living, small town atmosphere and yet, you are close to the urban scene. Good schools are probably important to you: my feeling on this, if your kids want to learn and excell they will regardless of the schools. to me, safe schools the important thing.

Good luck, keep us posted.....and enjoy being a Stay at Home mom, at least for awhile..

Nita

Old 07-28-2008, 01:19 PM

529 posts, read 1,651,360 times
As Storm has said, Elkins, Prairie Grove, Lincoln, Farmington, or Greenland are minutes from Fayetteville and have lower priced housing. You could even check out Tontitown, Cave Springs, Elm Springs, or Lowell and not have a bad commute. Most of the traffic would be going the opposite direction since more people tend to live in Fayetteville and drive to Benton county for work.

Not sure what line of work you're talking about but I would think the job market in NWA would be much better incase you were ever forced to find a new job (laid off or decided to quit).

Old 07-28-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
Not sure what line of work you're talking about but I would think the job market in NWA would be much better incase you were ever forced to find a new job (laid off or decided to quit).
Given that we'd be relocating to either area for DH's career and I would then be leaving mine, we would probably plan to leave the area if there ever was a need for him to find a different position. It's pretty common in his field to have to relocate to find work, and there doesn't appear to be much else for him in either area, which we're ok with as this would still be a growth position for him professionally. We hope to be involved in whatever community that we live in, but we don't have family or other ties to keep us in AR beyond his current position should he decide to accept either of them.

I would definitely feel differently if I were trying to find a position though. It's hard to do a dual job search, although we've done it before.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:00 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,797 times
Quote:
Given that we'd be relocating to either area for DH's career and I would then be leaving mine, we would probably plan to leave the area if there ever was a need for him to find a different position. It's pretty common in his field to have to relocate to find work, and there doesn't appear to be much else for him in either area, which we're ok with as this would still be a growth position for him professionally. We hope to be involved in whatever community that we live in, but we don't have family or other ties to keep us in AR beyond his current position should he decide to accept either of them.

I would definitely feel differently if I were trying to find a position though. It's hard to do a dual job search, although we've done it before.
Lots of people say that and then wind up never leaving!

Old 07-28-2008, 07:28 PM

19 posts, read 58,366 times
I would like to hear more impressions about n versus s too. I want to find the best mix of living near mountains, lakes and rivers. My husband and I are both in construction. I am a cabinet designer and building supply salesperson, he is a carpenter. So we need to find right area for that sort of work. What do y'all think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers