Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:01 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,478 times

Advertisements

I've read a few articles that the Crystal Bridges museum opening in 2010 in Bentonville will be an economic driver beyond compare. It seems more European Publications notice is paid to the museum than US. The world will be coming to Bentonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 10:14 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
I've read a few articles that the Crystal Bridges museum opening in 2010 in Bentonville will be an economic driver beyond compare. It seems more European Publications notice is paid to the museum than US. The world will be coming to Bentonville.
That's because all the coastie elitists are up in arms over some great pieces of American art being bought and displayed in the backwater that they believe Arkansas to be.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:50 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
That's because all the coastie elitists are up in arms over some great pieces of American art being bought and displayed in the backwater that they believe Arkansas to be.
I don't think that is it at all. I think it is more likely that they are shopping in Europe for their art. Conversations I have had with art people on the west coast are excited about the museum. It promises to be on art lovers to see list.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:13 AM

452 posts, read 1,640,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post

LOL...funny I think your probably right on this one. They are narrow-minded

Old 09-15-2008, 11:54 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Lady View Post
I don't think that is it at all. I think it is more likely that they are shopping in Europe for their art. Conversations I have had with art people on the west coast are excited about the museum. It promises to be on art lovers to see list.
Well, the West coasties may be ok with it but a lot of things I've read lead me to believe the East coast art scene is in an uproar about it. Read about the fight the Walton's have had to acquire the Stieglitz collection from Fisk College. The college is just about bankrupt and the sale of this collection would let the school right itself. CB even agreed to allow the college to continue displaying the pieces a good deal of the time. IIRC some group filed legal proceedings to block the sale to prevent it coming to AR. Same thing with the Eakin piece the museum wanted to buy. The city of Filthadelphia blocked the sale until a museum there could secure the funds to purchase it to keep it there. Someone involved in that pretty much stated such a piece of art did not belong in AR. Granted, I don't have enough info at my fingertips to document all of this, I'm working solely from memory but there's a distinct bias against this museum in some circles at least.

I'm pretty sure most of the pieces they are buying were previously in American collections since it is a museum of American art.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:05 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,478 times
This article from the UK "The Independent" states: The greatest unspoken objection is, of course, that no self-respecting East Coast art snob would be seen dead in rural Arkansas.

The woman who put the art in Wal-Mart - Americas, World - The Independent

Old 09-15-2008, 02:10 PM

Well, when the Crystal Bridges Museum opens let's all go people watch! It is going to be too fabulous to not notice. I think it is fun poor little backward Arkansas is making a splash in the ART world. I am out of state right now. I am going to dig my "Arkansas Proud" button out of my jewelry box and start wearing it...maybe someone will ask me about Crystal Bridges!!

Old 09-15-2008, 02:25 PM

Thanks for posting the link Joebaldknobber. Alice is doing a wonderful thing for NW Arkansas - all of Arkansas. The bad mouthers hate she has the money to get what she wants. Since what she wants is for Arkansas to have a first class museum, I say "way to go Alice"!!

Old 09-15-2008, 02:31 PM

350 posts, read 1,288,737 times
I'm a big proponent of this but I don't think the economic impact will be massive along the lines of say, the Clinton Library. I think it will largely be a regional museum that people from nearby cities like LR, KC, Springfield and Tulsa visit. It will also be a prime gathering spot for NW Arkansans for meetings, marriages, receptions, etc.

There has been a tremendous amount of resistance nearly every time a purchase is made for the museum. The purchase of the works from Fisk University being blocked by the Georgia O'Keefe Museum is more benign, but the Philadelphia community's blockage of Thomas Jefferson University's sale of a couple of works by Eakins was savage. The Philly papers' commentary on it focused on what a waste it will be to have artwork like this in Arkansas where nobody will see it.

Well, I will see it and the East Coast snobs can bite me. Or buy a plane ticket, we're glad to have you here in beautiful Arkansas.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:03 PM

452 posts, read 1,640,674 times
Quote:
Well, I will see it and the East Coast snobs can bite me. Or buy a plane ticket, we're glad to have you here in beautiful Arkansas
This is a fine example of what I call the "Arkansas Complex".........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers