Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:08 PM

5 posts, read 11,765 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're a young (mid-20s) couple with a son thats almost 4. We live in Orlando right now and looking to get out as soon as our lease is up. We're looking for somewhere safe for our son to grow up. We've been researching the NWA area and are interested in Fayetteville or somewhere nearby. We're having a little trouble finding information about jobs there since the internet is really our only resource.

Dad is a painter. He's a lead man for the company he works for now and has about 5 years experience. He's a hard worker and not afraid to get dirty. He has a great eye for small detail and is very motivated and easy to work with. He's making right around $14 an hour and would need something dependable with steady work. He's also an excellent cook.

Mom has been a stay at home mom for the past year and a half, but will be looking for part-time work. She's been a server for 9 years and gives excellent A++ service. Very personable and reliable. Also has management experience and has worked in an office type position. Great computer and phone skills. She's also thought about taking part in a babysitting type job so that she could still be home with our son while helping with the finances.

We're both very normal, don't smoke, drink or do drugs. Very responsible. We're interested in knowing what type of jobs are available that we'd be qualified to do and about how much the pay would be. We're just starting out and this will be our first place on our own. Please if anyone can give us any information we're at a loss and just need some direction. Thank you in advance. **Sorry for such a long post, but hopefully it gives you a better idea of who we are and what we need**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysMommy88 View Post
Hi, we're a young (mid-20s) couple with a son thats almost 4. We live in Orlando right now and looking to get out as soon as our lease is up. We're looking for somewhere safe for our son to grow up. We've been researching the NWA area and are interested in Fayetteville or somewhere nearby. We're having a little trouble finding information about jobs there since the internet is really our only resource.

Dad is a painter. He's a lead man for the company he works for now and has about 5 years experience. He's a hard worker and not afraid to get dirty. He has a great eye for small detail and is very motivated and easy to work with. He's making right around $14 an hour and would need something dependable with steady work. He's also an excellent cook.

Mom has been a stay at home mom for the past year and a half, but will be looking for part-time work. She's been a server for 9 years and gives excellent A++ service. Very personable and reliable. Also has management experience and has worked in an office type position. Great computer and phone skills. She's also thought about taking part in a babysitting type job so that she could still be home with our son while helping with the finances.

We're both very normal, don't smoke, drink or do drugs. Very responsible. We're interested in knowing what type of jobs are available that we'd be qualified to do and about how much the pay would be. We're just starting out and this will be our first place on our own. Please if anyone can give us any information we're at a loss and just need some direction. Thank you in advance. **Sorry for such a long post, but hopefully it gives you a better idea of who we are and what we need**
Well, I certainly can't help you with the job questions except to suggest you look on the home page for Fayetteville and some of the surrounding pages. There will be lists of companies, write to them and see what is available. It doesn't sound like either of you should have any problems finding jobs.

Fayetteville is a great city: there are several other cities in the NWAr area that you may want to check out. I don't know how you feel about living in a college town, this works for some, for others it isn't what they really want. You won't get quite the same life style as moving to an area more geared to families. It is a great town for culture if this is what you are looking for. Our granddaughter lives there.

Welcome to Ar and welcome to this forum.

Nita

Old 01-14-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well, I certainly can't help you with the job questions except to suggest you look on the home page for Fayetteville and some of the surrounding pages. There will be lists of companies, write to them and see what is available. It doesn't sound like either of you should have any problems finding jobs.

Fayetteville is a great city: there are several other cities in the NWAr area that you may want to check out. I don't know how you feel about living in a college town, this works for some, for others it isn't what they really want. You won't get quite the same life style as moving to an area more geared to families. It is a great town for culture if this is what you are looking for. Our granddaughter lives there.

Welcome to Ar and welcome to this forum.

Nita
Thank you Nita! I will definitely have to check on those for the jobs.

And you may have a great point, one of the smaller towns in the area may actually be a lot better for us. We're looking for something with a country feel, that's still close to the city for jobs, shopping, etc, etc. Any suggestions on those?? Somewhere safe is our main goal.
And again, thank you so very much!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:53 AM

165 posts, read 525,076 times
[quote= Fayetteville is a great city: there are several other cities in the NWAr area that you may want to check out. I don't know how you feel about living in a college town, this works for some, for others it isn't what they really want. You won't get quite the same life style as moving to an area more geared to families. It is a great town for culture if this is what you are looking for. Our granddaughter lives there.
Nita[/QUOTE]

I think Fayetteville is the most family oriented city in NWAr. From festivals to parks and trail system to sports programs to the emphasis on education, Fay seems to be all about the people.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognoxious View Post
I think Fayetteville is the most family oriented city in NWAr. From festivals to parks and trail system to sports programs to the emphasis on education, Fay seems to be all about the people.
I agree with you in some ways, but it is not for all families. I think and the OP varified this, they are looking for the small town more with a country setting, close to someplace like Fayetteville. Maybe I read something into her questions that you didn't.

Nita

Old 01-14-2009, 09:37 AM

165 posts, read 525,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree with you in some ways, but it is not for all families. I think and the OP varified this, they are looking for the small town more with a country setting, close to someplace like Fayetteville. Maybe I read something into her questions that you didn't.

Nita
Yessum - all kinds of wonderful smaller communities in NWAr that would be ideal. Farmington, Gentry, West Fork, Prairie Grove ...

Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognoxious View Post
Yessum - all kinds of wonderful smaller communities in NWAr that would be ideal. Farmington, Gentry, West Fork, Prairie Grove ...
Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely keep those places in mind

Old 01-14-2009, 09:59 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,767,710 times
Prairie Grove is one of my favorites in that region. There are quite a few quaint old Victorians in town, some of which are refurbished some which need some TLC.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:55 AM

171 posts, read 327,384 times
Default Small Arkansas Towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysMommy88 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely keep those places in mind
Try up around Mountain Home. Also, there's a "Ranger Boats" company at Flippin. Try the Government jobs. I think they are the biggest employer in the state. Also the State Highway Department.

I heard that Arkansas wants to have ALL of it's county roads paved. If you look on an Arkansas map, compare the county roads to other states. It's pretty colored. I found the roads in Arkansas to be among the best.

Maybe that's because of the extra tax on gasoline. It ACTUALLY goes to the road improvements! Thank the Oversite Committees?

Old 01-14-2009, 11:19 AM

730 posts, read 2,256,524 times
I think you will do just fine here!
You probably won't have trouble finding work in those fields- Especially as a server, there are plenty of places in Fayetteville & Rogers/Bentoville that you can make some good $.

Fayetteville is a nice place. However, if you are looking for a VERY small town feel- I would take the advice of the previous posters and check out Farmington, West Fork & Prarie Grove- or any of the countless surrounding small towns.I don't know much about the school systems of other commmunities. It's not that Fayetteville is a BIG city by any means, but (luckily for me) it does't feel as small as it is. It is very easy to commute from any of these places to Fayetteville.

Best Wishes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers