Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 11:16 AM

14 posts, read 45,091 times

Advertisements

Over the last few years I'm progressively downsizing. I recently applied to various MFA programs, including UofA, and am waiting to see what my offers are. I am originally from Kansas City and have lived in Austin, Texas for the last two years (I prefer the urban grit and indie culture of KC to Austin's shiny-happy, SoCal-Big Dallas vibe). I know that Fayetteville is probably a far cry from either locale, but I'll only be staying for three years max. That said, I'm curious as to the transition any of you who hail from larger metros have experienced.

Are there any areas near UofA that are highly walkable and affordable (i.e. around $700 a month rent)? I prefer to drive as little as possible. Also, what is public transit like there?

Is there a good arts/music scene in Fayetteville?

How would you id the the grad student population at UofA? I went to KU. in Lawrence, KS for my BA and am finishing my MA at U of T (much more traditional, straight-laced feel than KU).

I'm in my late 20's and single. I've heard this is aberrant in Arkansas. Is this true?

Very curious and eager to hear your responses! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 02:37 PM

6 posts, read 24,396 times
We are moving to Fayetteville in six weeks. From my search for a home lease, I can tell you it seems a rental for about $700 near the Univeristy will be easily found. There are a ton of listings on Craigslist. The area around the University and downtown is very walkable and full of restaurants, clubs, and the kind of shops you find in a college town.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:11 PM

138 posts, read 369,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipermackie View Post
Over the last few years I'm progressively downsizing. I recently applied to various MFA programs, including UofA, and am waiting to see what my offers are. I am originally from Kansas City and have lived in Austin, Texas for the last two years (I prefer the urban grit and indie culture of KC to Austin's shiny-happy, SoCal-Big Dallas vibe). I know that Fayetteville is probably a far cry from either locale, but I'll only be staying for three years max. That said, I'm curious as to the transition any of you who hail from larger metros have experienced.

Are there any areas near UofA that are highly walkable and affordable (i.e. around $700 a month rent)? I prefer to drive as little as possible. Also, what is public transit like there?

Is there a good arts/music scene in Fayetteville?

How would you id the the grad student population at UofA? I went to KU. in Lawrence, KS for my BA and am finishing my MA at U of T (much more traditional, straight-laced feel than KU).

I'm in my late 20's and single. I've heard this is aberrant in Arkansas. Is this true?

Very curious and eager to hear your responses! Thanks.
Fayetteville is like a much smaller version of Austin. The NWA is very suburban and car-centric, but Fayetteville is the place to be if you are young and single. While its true that in rural Arkansas, most get married in their late teens or early twenties, there are still a fair amount of people in the more populated areas who are single into their late 20s. Fayetteville is also pretty liberal by Arkansas standards so that should be helpful as well.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:24 PM

157 posts, read 518,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
Fayetteville is like a much smaller version of Austin. The NWA is very suburban and car-centric, but Fayetteville is the place to be if you are young and single. While its true that in rural Arkansas, most get married in their late teens or early twenties, there are still a fair amount of people in the more populated areas who are single into their late 20s. Fayetteville is also pretty liberal by Arkansas standards so that should be helpful as well.
Fayetteville's a nice college town. Check out Fayetteville Flyer for more info about it--it's a nice alt literature piece based up there.

I hope somebody else can answer the OP's questions. I have some grad student friends that go to UA, and they're progressives, but I can't ID the whole campus. You'll hear a lot about the Dickson street area if you haven't--the whole indie/arts scene is concentrated there. Here are some great photos of Fayetteville and Dickson street from a native http://www.flickr.com/photos/74465517@N00/ (broken link) (There's a Fayetteville section.) It'll give you a feel for it.

I believe Fayetteville and Little Rock were the only non-Delta cities to go Obama, although all Washington County went McCain.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:47 PM

529 posts, read 1,651,647 times
You will definitely want to be near the Dickson Street area. Finding a place for $700/month shouldn't be an issue. That area is close to campus, is very walkable and it is the arts/music scene of NW Arkansas. The U of A and ORT bus routes will get you everywhere you really need to go but other than your occasional trip to the grocery store or mall you should find everything you need within walking distance around Dickson. One thing to consider is that the area around campus and Dickson is very hilly so it's not exactly easy walking.

I'm in my early 30s and single so there are a few of us around. However, some people still get very surprised when they find out I'm not and have never been married. I think it's because a lot of people that move here are from a small town and think Fayetteville is huge in comparison to what they left. I was the opposite and thought that Fayetteville was puny when I first moved here. Little Rock was the smallest city I'd lived in before moving here. For a city of it's small size Fayetteville actually has a lot to offer.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:21 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,760,101 times
Wow, those Fayetteville photos (Flicker link above) were great. Fayetteville is really a nice town. I'd love to explore it more in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers