Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HollyWood Vs Broadway
Hollywood 14 58.33%
Broadway 10 41.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 03:27 PM

263 posts, read 798,869 times

Advertisements

Hollywood affects the world. It is LA's leading culture and NY's lead culture is completely irrelevant by compare. There may be no greater discrepancy in the culture of the country, or the planet for that matter. People here who believe otherwise may be so out of touch with reality they may actually be dangerous to society. This isn't about audience/performer interaction or who likes what better, this is about reality, but if opinion is what's offered here, so be it. Just don't loose sight of reality, guys. You'll look, again, ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 03:54 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Hollywood.
I have never seen a Broadway play in my life and probably never will either.
The same goes for about 95 % of the people in this world.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:11 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodam12 View Post
Which is better when it comes to enertainment and performance and modern day culture.
After really thinking about it I have to say Hollywood.

Entertainment - Hollywood wins this hands down. The honest fact is that more people are entertained by what hollywood produces than broadway. Hollywood has big budget blockbusters with special effects and the fast moving exciting editing. Broadway is just onstage. Decision - Hollywood.

Performance - Broadway wins this one going away. For the simple fact that if you are on Broadway you have TALENT. You have major skills. In Hollywood, they (producers) just put anyone on screen who they think will attract a certain demographic that will help with the bottom line. Case in point of how they always put rappers in movies who cannot act instead of real trained professional actors because they think "this rapper has sold millions of records all over the world, surely some of those millions of people would tune in to see him act". Or they say "Lets put "insert pretty blonde who cant act" because she's pretty and young girls relate to her and young men will be interested in seeing her". This does not work on Broadway. You must have talent, you must be very well trained. Decision - Broadway.

Impact on modern day culture - Hollywood. Broadway only impacts what goes on on Broadway and what the artsy gays think. Not much else. Hollywood impacts culture of style, substance, music, fashion. It generates millions in revenue second only to the video gaming industry. Everyone knows Speilberg, Scorsese, Nicholson, Hanks, Clooney. I cant name one person who is on Broadway. Decision - Hollywood.

OVERALL WINNER - HOLLYWOOD!!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:17 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodam12 View Post
Which is better when it comes to enertainment and performance and modern day culture.
I would say Broadway, because from my experience, a Broadway show is far more entertaining, with a more engaging performance, than 99% of what Hollywood puts out. But Hollywood does win in the sense that it better reflects modern day culture.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:07 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
I have never been affected by a play like I have been by the great movies. I've never felt an adrenalin rush watching a play like I did the first time I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark. I never walked out of a theater feeling the same way I did walking out of Saving Private Ryan. I've never seen a play do a better job capturing the spirit of the Midwest or the feeling of aging like The Straight Story. I've never seen a performance on stage match the subtlety of Richard Farnsworth's performance in that movie, either. Or Brando's or Pacino's performance in The Godfather.

There's an artificiality in stage performance that I find off-putting. A play can be entertaining and even moving, but for me I never get lost in the story and the characters like I do in a great film.

When I go to a play, I feel like I'm seeing a performance. When I go to a movie, I feel like I'm seeing a story. I prefer stories.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:55 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
I have never been affected by a play like I have been by the great movies. I've never felt an adrenalin rush watching a play like I did the first time I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark. I never walked out of a theater feeling the same way I did walking out of Saving Private Ryan. I've never seen a play do a better job capturing the spirit of the Midwest or the feeling of aging like The Straight Story. I've never seen a performance on stage match the subtlety of Richard Farnsworth's performance in that movie, either. Or Brando's or Pacino's performance in The Godfather.

There's an artificiality in stage performance that I find off-putting. A play can be entertaining and even moving, but for me I never get lost in the story and the characters like I do in a great film.

When I go to a play, I feel like I'm seeing a performance. When I go to a movie, I feel like I'm seeing a story. I prefer stories.
It sounds like you have not seen very many good plays, but a lot of good movies. Probably most of the US is the same.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:06 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,650,253 times
Broadway. All the lure of Hollywood without the gangsters and smog.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:16 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
It sounds like you have not seen very many good plays, but a lot of good movies. Probably most of the US is the same.
Maybe.

I sure don't go to as many plays as I used to - the tickets are way too expensive for a couple of hours of entertainment.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:33 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Maybe.

I sure don't go to as many plays as I used to - the tickets are way too expensive for a couple of hours of entertainment.
I hear you. That's why I certainly won't argue that stage productions influence US culture nearly as much as films.

As someone who has seen a whole lot of plays (still far less than films, though) I can say that they definitely can be just as exciting and emotionally moving as films.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:44 PM

149 posts, read 515,721 times
Give me Broadway ANY day of the week!

Hollywood is grossly overrated, overpayed and over hyped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts