Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

Just set up a 55 gal tank,its been running for almost 2 weeks now and has about 20 Tetras in it at the moment Running a hang on the back filter that came with the tank and running a Fluval 305, So far my API test kit is registering 000 for Amonia and Nitrites. So With the eventuality of frequent water changes upcoming whats the easiest and cleanest way to get 50% of the water out of the tank? are there quick change kits where you just turn a tap and out comes the water into a bucket?

Last edited by elnina; 01-02-2013 at 02:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 10:43 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
There are many ways to change water in a fish tank.

1. The old fashion bucket method. Use something like a Gravel Vac using gravity to drain the water into a bucket. When the bucket is filled, stop and empty the bucket into a drain or your lawn. Repeat that a few times.

2. You can spend $30-$50 for an aquarium water changer. These comes with 25ft-50ft hose that is attached to your faucet. It uses water to generate a suction for getting water out of our tank into your sink. The knock on such method is the waste of water that you will be using during the process. With this kit, you will be alble to fill the tank up quickly without the use of bucket for refilling the tank.

3. Another method is similiar to #1 with the exception of draining it directly into your drain or outside (if the tank is high enough). If you can't use gravity, you can elect to get a water pump.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:41 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Yeah I remember using the good old gravel vac to siphon up the water and gunk at the same time. More than once I even got a mouthful of the horrid stuff! Personally I think a 25 percent water change at any one time is preferable, but it depends on your setup.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:23 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
I never put the siphon in my mouth, if you hold the siphon upright in one hand and put your finger over the other end, you can create your own suction, it just takes practice. I do all my water changes the old-fashioned way with a bucket. With 7 tanks it's a PITA. I wish I could get a hose that attaches to the kitchen sink, but we have a very large, round faucet and it would never fit.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:09 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I never put the siphon in my mouth, if you hold the siphon upright in one hand and put your finger over the other end, you can create your own suction, it just takes practice. I do all my water changes the old-fashioned way with a bucket. With 7 tanks it's a PITA. I wish I could get a hose that attaches to the kitchen sink, but we have a very large, round faucet and it would never fit.
There are gravel vacs that have a hand pump midway up the length. You just give a few pumps to start the suction.

I have an automatic changer that screws into the sink and it is quite frankly the best thing ever. It makes everything so quick and painless. Unfortunately I can't use it anymore because my shrimp keep breeding. If I just let the water drain into the sink I would be washing baby shrimp away. Instead I have to use buckets and search through the bucket every time.

To the OP...if you have a set up that allows it, go for the auto changer. I would split the water change into 2 25% changes 3 days apart. With an auto changer it'll take you about 5 minutes.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Do weekly 25% water changes with a bucket and a gravel vac - takes less than 5 minutes for the whole thing (not including leaving the water in the bucket overnight to condition and reach room temp). But my tank is only 10 gallons and it is in the bathroom next to the jacuzzi tub, so draining and getting rid of water is ridiculously easy.

But you know, I like it...the fish are doing great...it's such an easy no brainer thing to get done quickly, chemistries look great, etc.

I can't imagine having to do it weekly with a giant tank in the middle of a carpeted floor or nice wood floors...yeesh.

With the auto changer, are you putting straight tap water in the tank?

Old 12-30-2012, 03:28 PM

556 posts, read 1,228,244 times
2 weeks with 20 fish? Wow. Fish keeping is a game of patience. I hope that works out for you.

We use a python for our freshwater tank to the utility sink. 20% every 2 weeks

Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 AM

6 months later and all is going well..55 gallons of contentment..

Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
6 months later and all is going well..55 gallons of contentment..

Beautiful! I am terrible at aquascaping, so I always admire nice tanks. Mind listing your fish species?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Beautiful! I am terrible at aquascaping, so I always admire nice tanks. Mind listing your fish species?
The plants are all plastic,the rocks came from the garden, and the gravel from the local garden center.
Identifying the fish is a bit more of a problem as i just buy em without looking at the names but they are mostly all tetras ,a few glowlights, cardinals, dwarf gourami's, a few guppies,couple of cat fish and some long things that like sucking algae off of the glass, pet store had a sale on pink Danios last week so i bought a dozen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish