Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 07:48 PM

131 posts, read 439,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffordpastor View Post
Yup...some pretty squirrelly folks on this forum....
You beat me to it! I was going to say that everytime I go up to Flag all I see are squirrely people. Actually I saw a few squirrels this week here in VOC. I still can't get over how small they are and they live in the ground. I grew up with the big grey ones that spent all their time in the trees or commuting over the power lines by the gazillions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 07:57 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SedonaShadow View Post
You beat me to it! I was going to say that everytime I go up to Flag all I see are squirrely people. Actually I saw a few squirrels this week here in VOC. I still can't get over how small they are and they live in the ground. I grew up with the big grey ones that spent all their time in the trees or commuting over the power lines by the gazillions.
The Abert's squirrels are big, bigger than the midwest ones. I haven't seen them on wires (but then there aren't many by my property up north) but they jump from pine to pine waaaaay up in the big ones. You wouldn't see them in Sedona though as they are adapted to ponderosa pine territory.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:55 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
There are always the gopher-like things??? My dog killed one, dragged it in the house to my office...grandaughter who was here then says..."Gramma, do the dogs have a toy like a rat?"...got my attention immediately....it was gone shortly thereafter once she dropped it.....I can't imagine if it was alive when she dragged it in, what could have happened....

Old 08-21-2010, 11:42 PM

131 posts, read 439,933 times
Well, I come from the east coast and every morning you could watch a
steady line of them cruising the wires like they were on the ground.
They made big nests up in the trees and if you ever wondered, no, they
aren't born acrobats. They fall off of everything and miss their jumps
when very young. When I first saw them here, their coloring looked a
little strange until I realized it was from burrowing in the ground
which the big grey one's back east never did. The grey one's would also
readily come and eat out your hand or walk in the house.
And if they really liked you they would chew through the soffit under
you roof and set up house in your attic. Then if you tried to evict them
they would sit up, look you in the eye and give you a "Get out of MY
house" chattering!

Old 08-22-2010, 12:17 AM

34 posts, read 84,975 times
at night squirrels make the most scarey noise, it can go on for hours too. Also once i was out walking on an abandoned WW2 u.s. airfield and suddenly ahead of me running through the long grass was a tiny naked man-this freaked me out and i later surmised it was a squirrel with no fur -theres no other explanation is there

Old 08-25-2010, 10:46 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
I've never seen a squirrel out here, but I'm sure they'd be kinda like the rabbits here--they always have that look in their eyes of "Gimme a drink of water."

Old 08-26-2010, 02:37 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The Abert's squirrels are big, bigger than the midwest ones. I haven't seen them on wires (but then there aren't many by my property up north) but they jump from pine to pine waaaaay up in the big ones. You wouldn't see them in Sedona though as they are adapted to ponderosa pine territory.
I don't know what kind of squirrels we have here in Cottonwood but we do have them. There are a couple who visit my yard every morning. They grab up a windfall apple each and scurry away. The apples are at least as big as their heads and I find them cute. They haven't bothered anything in my garden or I might not find them so "cute"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona