Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 04:58 PM

610 posts, read 699,218 times

Advertisements

So... I'm moving to Phoenix from Colorado Springs in July. Or, at least, I plan to.

But we've also tossed around the idea of Flagstaff, so it's logical to ask some questions. I studied a lot of Native history, specifically pertinent to the southwest, and the area would probably be real rich in scholarly resources I could use to continue my studies independently. I also like the highland climate, which is one of the things I like about Colorado Springs.

So what's the cost of living like in Flagstaff and surrounding areas? Could you buy a small fixer upper for a couple with no children around the 100-120 range? Could you rent a 1BR for somewhere between 600 and 700?

Most of my work experience is in logistics and warehousing, and I heard that because flagstaff is at the intersection of two interstates, there's a decent amount of this work around. My girlfriend has mostly done customer service, but is currently working as a special ed teacher's aide, and I think would like to continue on that path.

Any way, how reasonable is it to just pick up and move to a place like Flagstaff? The small population sort of scares me... not because I'm opposed to small towns or anything, but because I feel like that presents less job opportunities. For example, L.A. is, legally, very business un-friendly. That said, there are an abundance of jobs just because of sheer numbers alone. So the idea that, though Flagstaff may be business friendly and well-located, the numbers alone may limit opportunity, concerns me.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 08:05 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
there are only two SFRs in Flag proper for sale in that price range, according to the local MLS...700 sq. ft. each

and a 1BR rental would be a bit more than 600-700.....

but the Native American research options in the area are tops....NAU, The Museum of Northern Arizona, Walnut Canyon and Wupatki National Monuments....

decent jobs will be tough.....Gore is the biggest private employer and there are the usual public employers in the city, county, and state areas....and there is this dreary news from last July:

Walgreens to lay off 345 in Flagstaff

Old 10-22-2014, 09:02 PM

610 posts, read 699,218 times
That's a bummer because I had heard (from a friend who lived there some years back) that there was distribution-related work, and Walgreen's was one of the specific places he mentioned.

What's the economy there really even based on?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:28 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
What's the economy there really even based on?
in no specific order: Gore, NAU, tourism, city/county/state government, a few remaining distribution centers, and everybody doing each others laundry

Old 10-23-2014, 09:04 AM

138 posts, read 388,027 times
Doesn't Purina have a big plant there? I never see this mentioned as a major employer.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:36 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,200 times
Flagstaff's PBS radio station KNAU did a pretty exhaustive set of podcasts on the COL there vs. employment. All of them can be found at the link below. It was done in '08 but I'd say nothing much has changed.
Our son attends NAU. We entertained the idea of picking up a condominium near the campus for him to live in and had a broker friend make up a list of possibles for us. Prices were breathtaking. We passed. We live in the boonies of the Verde Valley and do monthly or bimonthly stock up shopping trips. Flagstaff and Prescott are roughly equidistant from us. We've found overall that prices are about 20% cheaper in Prescott at the big box stores. Flagstaff is MIGHTY proud of itself.

Poverty With A View. KNAU, Flagstaff
feed://www.publicbroadcasting.net/knau/.jukebox?action=viewPodcast&podcastId=13744

Old 10-25-2014, 05:45 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
Doesn't Purina have a big plant there? I never see this mentioned as a major employer.
Yes, too the far east side, neighbor of Walgreen's. Those are really the only two big whs in Flag. Both 10 orso bucks an hour.......

Interstate traffic leaves the interstate for fuel and food, plus, the one going to Phoenix is more a side spur...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona